Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

First and Second Tikis

Pages: 1 10 replies

Here is my first attempt at carving. I started off with clay and once I got the fever I dove dove into a piece of ficus that I had gotten from one of the many trees down around my house. I sealed the ends and let it sit for a few weeks as I worked in ceramics.

But the tiki fever caught hold and I started on on the logs.

It took me a few hours to get this point. But it was mostly practice with the different chisels and gouges.

Here is the finished product with my very enthusiastic assistant.

More tikis to come in the future! Please let know what you think.

[ Edited by: AlohaStation on 2004-11-08 08:37 ]

Looks great. I really like the burnt looking finish.

Here is my second tiki. Created from a a fallen ficus tree.

[ Edited by: AlohaStation on 2004-11-08 08:42 ]

Nice work!!! I love the way the faces kind of flow with the wood!!! Very Trippy looking. Keep up the good work and keep posting more pic's with your work!!
Later,
SPermy

I agree, nice job! It's very obvious that you let the tiki come out of the wood, and not the other way around. Can't wait to see more.

Nice design, awesome expression. This tiki's in agony! Great work, AlohaStation!

Aaron

You're learning quick and creating a style fast too!
These tikis look great, and that second one has nice round edges to him! Don't stop now, you're on fire!

Ficus, huh? Man, when I trim my ficus trees (even when I get sick of them and cut them down - I have WAY too many ficus trees...) I get this white, milkey liquid that seeps from the cut - do you see that liquid when you carve?

The ficus carved really well. The sap that comes from the fresh cuts dried quickly and was non-existant when I carved. I did let the wood cure for a few weeks. Mold formed under the bark but was easily scraped off. There are so many ficus and banyon trees that fell in South Florida from the hurricanes that wood is overly abundant.

The only problem I've encountered is that the tree grows over itself. So you may be carving and hit a dead spot where a branch was cut. Some spots are small some are large. I guess that adds to the fun.

Great work I love the second one. I think its great you know what you are carving I just find "hurricane logs" and have no idea what the wood is. Keep up the good work!

B

Those Are really nice. I don't care much for the Splochy look from the torch, but thats just my prefrence. The carvings are Great especially for your first ones. Are you sure you never did this before??

Thanks for all the great input. The blotchy-ness is because I just don't have the patience to keep sanding. Besides all that dust keeps getting in my drink.

[ Edited by: AlohaStation on 2004-11-11 08:44 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies