Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tonga Room now open, yay!

Pages: 1 12 replies

O
Otto posted on Mon, Oct 18, 2004 12:33 PM

I just found out from my friend Jane that the Tonga Room is closed during the hotel strike here in SF

Please everyone write the Fairmont and let them know that we watn the Tonga Room reopened and we want the hotel to resolve the strike asap!!

Please call them or write them via the CONTACT US button at the bottom of their website
http://www.fairmont.com/

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
          Corporate Headquarters
          Tel: (416) 874-2600
          Fax: (416) 874-2601

[ Edited by: Otto on 2004-12-03 12:50 ]

M

On 2004-10-18 12:33, Otto wrote:
I just found out from my friend Jane that the Tonga Room is closed during the hotel strike here in SF

Please everyone write the Fairmont and let them know that we watn the Tonga Room reopened and we want the hotel to resolve the strike asap!!

Please call them or write them via the CONTACT US button at the bottom of their website
http://www.fairmont.com/

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
          Corporate Headquarters
          Tel: (416) 874-2600
          Fax: (416) 874-2601

It would be best to point out how you want/wanted to go to The Tonga Room, but you can't because it is closed and you had/will have to go somewhere else.

I e-mailed them that I would be in town this Wed. night for a law firm conference (true) and was scouting out locations to take potential clients (could be true). They called me this morning and said they doubted it would be open by then due to the "labor problems" but possibly by next week. She was very polite.

Thank god those unions are keeping our local hotels child-labor free! small price to pay....*

*sarcasm, tinged with "anti-union animus"

TD

This is unbelievable!!! My fiance is heading there this weekend and I have been telling her for a week how great the place is. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to plan a trip out there when they reopen.

M

On 2004-10-19 17:09, Tiki D wrote:
This is unbelievable!!! My fiance is heading there this weekend and I have been telling her for a week how great the place is. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to plan a trip out there when they reopen.

I don't know how mobile you two will be, but a trip to Trader Vics in Emeryville (just across the Bay Bridge from SF) is a must do!! Try to go around sunset time if you can because having a San Francisco Style Mai-Tai and watching the sun set over the boats in the Emeryville Marina is something you and your Fiance will never forget!!
Not too far away in Oakland is the Conga Lounge above Pizza Rustica on College Ave. It is a fun "new" Tiki bar.
In SF there is Hawaii West in North Beach. It is basically a locals Tiki dive bar. Out towards the ocean is Trad'r (Trader) Sams on Geary. On weekends the crowd can often get obnoxious and "Frat-y", so try to go early and leave by 9pm or so. Bamboo Hut on Broadway is a great looking bar, but it is my least favorite because it often plays crappy music and the drinks suck eggs more than not!
Also, here is a listing of some of my favorite non-tiki places in SF
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11299&forum=6

Bummer on the Tonga Room...

The wife and I leave in the morning for S.F.

Since we will be renting a car we will have to do Vic's... gotta get one bar in...

And I think we shall have to hunt down Tiki Bob!

On 2004-10-19 22:33, Lake Surfer wrote:
Since we will be renting a car we will have to do Vic's... gotta get one bar in...

Damn Lake,
I wish I was up there to meet you! (1 1/2 hour away from Carmel)Tiki Bob is a 5 minute walk from the Tonga. Definately worth the effort to go pay your respects. Check out the Bamboo Hut too. Have Fun!

TD

Mr Smiley-

Thanks for the great info. I am actually not going to be making the trip with her though (she is going for work). I went out there a month ago for work and went to the Emeryville TV's and was blown away. The place was amazing, even with a television! The problem was getting there. I took the subway from downtown San Fran and then got in a cab. The guy had no idea where he was going and we ended up driving for 25 minutes. Do you know how long or how much a cab ride from San Fran would be?
The great thing about the Tonga Room is that it was just a few blocks from my hotel, granted these were the steepest blocks I have ever seen in my life, but still just a few of them.
I didn't get a chance to check out the others so I definitely appreciate the recommendations for the next time I go out there.

On 2004-10-19 22:33, Lake Surfer wrote:

Lake, I work in SF-call me when you get into town-maybe we can meet up--Smiley
Work (days) 415-241-8164 or 1-800-457-6430 9am-6pm
Tiki Bob is across the street from a bar called Bobby's Owl Tree at 601 Post St and Taylor.

The latest news:

Mayor Newsom has ordered a 90-day cooling-off period, so hotel employees can return to work while labor negotiations continue. If this doesn't happen by 2:00 today, Newsom will join the picketers and order the city to boycott all of the affected hotels (14 in all).

M

The Tonga Room is OPEN!!!!! Their temporary hours are Tues- Sat only! No dinner service at this time, but the happy hour is on!
Call them for more info.
Tonga Restaurant & Bar
(415) 772-5278 950 Mason St
San Francisco, CA Map

M

It is Wednesday, lets go to The Tonga Room tonight for Happy Hour, and the new Trader Vics afterwards!!! Maybe 8 pm for the SF Vics???

Pages: 1 12 replies