Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

name the tiki bar contest! (los angeles area)

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

M

On 2004-11-04 11:07, spy-tiki wrote:
Any word on which names are in the running? And where is this place exactly?

It is located in a 1990's strip mall and the name "Alotta Colada's" is the current name to beat!!

(just kidding, ignore me, I am just DRUNK with excitement that we (insert bragging here) HAVE A NEW TRADER VIC'S IN TOWN!!
:)

M

On 2004-11-04 06:02, Futura Girl wrote:
okay - so i got this note in a separate email couple a weeks ago and sent my email in - so a few of my names are simlar to what others submitted, but here's what i sent in...

Hiya Bobby,

[snip]

I’m THRILLED you are opening a cool Valley Bar… All I know is that I sure picked a bad time to lease out my Eichler in Granada Hills :( and move to the south end of the Valley.

[snip]

Here are some other fun name ideas from me: OKAY please forgive me for coming up with TOO MANY names…

: Futura Girl on 2004-11-04 06:03 ]

I like the Lava Pit!!! Reminds me of conversation pits like they had at the Peppermills!
Lets buy the Peppermill in Daly City and rename it the Lava Pit!!!

*On 2004-10-18 19:58, christiki295 wrote:*Then "Cherry Capri" the raven professor of atomic living, would be the perfect act for opening night to bridge "Wild Cherry" into the new current tiki stardom.

hehehe... I vote to keep the name "wild cherry" honey!

hey, i heard back from bob and i can't help but wonder - if they are planning on opening by december and they are already decorating the place with chikitiki's tikis and the website is being done - i suspect they had a name picked a while back?

at the very least they had to file for the DBA and the domain name???

p.s. chiki - any chance of you picking up the pine log next time yer in north valley?

S

I still wanna know where it is...will be.

Dec is their target time to open. They are rolling on the build-out. Cheri, I picked that log up over two weeks ago when I first met with Bobby.

I gotta few- I skimmed and didn't see these:

-TikiTopia- for that intense feeling of well being!

-Lu'ukapuki lounge(Named after one of my friends)

-The Sheeki tiki- hip but not overbearing

-The Little Kahuna- my last hoo-rah attempt at naming a tiki bar

I can't take it anymore! Isn't someone gonna tell us where it is? When it's gonna open? What the name will be? C'mon!!!

I went and took a look at the place, it is going to be nice. Small but done with love. It is in an old strip mall right where the 5 and 118 fwys meet, Sepulveda exit,on the other side than that ole BBQ place (the Bear Pit?), on Chatsworth.

I talked to Bobby and agreed with him that the name has to have Tiki in it, and though he really liked Vali Hai, and The Leiaway, it is most likely to be... Lucky Tiki !
Might not be the most original, but it is commercial, and we all want these places to make their rent, which means it must appeal to people other than just us, too.

That name is catchy, and it has appeal to the Rockabilly crossover crowd, PLUS it makes for a nice logo with a story. I proposed Kevin Kidney to make a rendering of the logo Tiki. I think it all should start with a strong image. I believe a good concept character that follows through all the way from front door Tiki to the menu to the swizzle stick is the way to go.

How about the "Lucky Tiki"?

Spy-tiki, here's the map for it:
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=g7KaXep_0Trt85hFoAPHO3kUNwfzmmC_mJPcYg--&csz=MISSION+HILLS%A0%2CCA&country=us&cat=

Sven, the Bear Pit is the BBQ place on Sepulveda just north of the 118. (It's practically under the freeway.)

S

Woohoo! It's on my way to work. It's on my way home too! Is there an opening date yet?

(thank you vintagegirl!)

[ Edited by: spy-tiki on 2004-11-15 19:46 ]

[i]On 2004-11-15 13:05, bigbrotiki wrote:

. . .I talked to Bobby and agreed with him that the name has to have Tiki in it, and though he really liked Vali Hai, and The Leiaway, it is most likely to be... Lucky Tiki !

Maybe the new slogan can be:

"Get Lucky at the Tiki" or

"A Place to be transported to Hawaii, drink exotic cocktails and then get lucky."

T

I visited "Lucky TIki" today and am startin' on 7 tiki bar stools tommorow, and threw in a few water - feature ides. The place is gnarly. Pitched roof booth, lava rock volcano fire pit. sparkly blue sky, bamboo every-freakin-where! Just down the street from school for me, so can't wait to see it as often as possible.

[i]On 2004-11-16 03:16, tikitony wrote:

I visited "Lucky TIki" today and am startin' on 7 tiki bar stools tommorow, and threw in a few water - feature ides . . .
so can't wait to see it as often as possible.

A new tiki bar is extraorinarly exciting!

TikiTOny:
Are you doing the bar stools for the Lucky Tiki, or did you just to by for inspiration?

If so, are you doing anything else for the decor?

Good seeing you and the Adrift crew Saturday at the Cruz show!

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2004-11-16 16:52 ]

TB

Aloha Tiki enthusiasts!
Thanks to all of you for your overwhelming response to the "Name That Tiki Bar" contest. We had so many creative submissions that it was hard to choose just one name. But, we finally picked a winner....drum roll please...."The Lucky Tiki" submitted by Terri Burton of Sherman Oaks, California.

We'd like to give you some insight into how the name was chosen. After careful thought, it was decided that having Tiki in the name would be good. After all, folks looking for the bar would have no problems on search engines or 411 calls looking up the Tiki bar in the Valley.

So, we narrowed down our favorite submissions with Tiki in the name. The Lucky Tiki was our favorite. Special thanks to our old friends Otto von Stroheim of Tiki News and Sven Kirsten author of the Book of Tiki for their help in choosing the name. Thanks also goes out to Lee Joseph of Dionysus Records for organizing the contest.

Second runner up was the Valley Hai submitted first by Sven Kirsten (also submitted by several others of you) will be one of our specialty drinks. We would like to use another submission, the Enchanted Drinking Room as one of our Lucky Tiki slogans.

Thanks again! We will keep you posted with details of the Lucky Tiki as well as sneak preview photos of the interior.

Hope to see all of you at the Lucky Tiki!
Mahalo,
Bobby Green and the crew and staff of the Lucky Tiki

H

Tiki bob we will be there as soon as you open.

K

So Cool Tiki Bob - looking forward to the grand opening. Let me know if you need any opening night entertainment. Our haulau would be happy to do this.

Kuuipo

The Rum a Go-Go??

I know i'm a bit late, just red an article in a (Dutch) newspaper about the Whiskey a Go-Go in L.A.!

[ Edited by: Tiki Rotterdam on 2004-11-21 10:46 ]

[ Edited by: tiki rotterdam on 2004-11-23 11:55 ]

I can't wait!

Any particular date you're shooting for?

TB

We are shooting for Dec. to be open. Check out my other posting titled The Lucky Tiki Sneak peek pics for some interior pictures.

Pages: 1 2 68 replies