Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

NY Nov 11 - Lost in the Grooves -

Pages: 1 0 replies

I

I'm planning on being in New York area from November 10-November 14th, for an event that has a small bit of tiki about it.

The catalyst for this trip is the release of a new book coming out later this month, titled 'Lost in the Grooves: Scram's Capricious Guide to the Music You Missed', which features a wide variety of short essays about various pop musicians and other groups whose music deserves more recognition than it received when it was originally released. The editors of this book are Kim Cooper and David Smay, the same duo who co-edited the recent book 'Bubblegum Music is the Naked Truth.'

I contributed two short essays to this book, about the following artists

• 'Nino Rejna and his Hawaian Guitars' - an obscure low budget Italian recording
  • 'The Dream Lake Ukulule Band' - featuring the sounds and original compositions of 27 Floridian grade school students, all playing the ukulele

I hope to be participating in a book reading to be held at the Housing Works (126 Crosby Street) in NY on Thursday, November 11 at 6:30pm. This reading will be followed by a concert by two of the artists mentioned in the book - Brute Force, and Bridgit St. John.

There will also be a book release event held the previous day - Wednesday, November 10 at the Lakeside Lounge (162 Avenue B in the East Village) that will feature Steve Wynn and the Miracle 3 playing the sounds of the Flamin' Groovies.

I hope to see many of you New Yorkers at either or both events -- and perhaps I will be able to stop at a few of the nearby tiki bars too - I'm staying only a few blocks from Otto's Shrunken Head.

The website for the new book is at http://www.lostinthegrooves.com/ currently there is just some basic information about the book - including a plug from Marianne Faithful.

A list of the book contributors can be seen here .... http://www.scrammagazine.com/groovescontributors.html

Vern

Pages: 1 0 replies