Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

40 Year Old Home Tiki Bar (Image Heavy)

Pages: 1 33 replies

Here's me and the Doc. I moved to Corona del Mar in 1969, some of the first people my family met were the Doc's clan, I have been friends with his family for 35 years. The Doc is a urologist who drives a piss yellow VW Bug with WE WE MD license plates (the DMV turned down his request for Dic Doc), he played banjo in a band called the Over-sextet and he married Doris Day's stand-in 50 years ago.

The Doc was in the Air Force in the early 60s, he was stationed in the Philippines. When he got out he bought a home in CDM and almost immediately started building this bar. He jokes that military training had taught him to prioritize:

1. Secure a beachhead
  2. Dig the slit trenches
  3. Build the officers club
    And in 1964 he did just that.

I have been coming here since '68 and it looks exactly the same.

Much of the materials and decor was brought back from the PI. The bar was built to the Docs specifications and he plumbed and roped it himself.

The Doc knows Tropical Drinks, he has been pouring them for quite some time. He has a tradition we must honor, and, that is the search for the Mumrath. The Mumrath is a legendary rum drink, and you must seek the recipe. When you find the recipe it is cause for great celebration, however, if you do it right you are to drunk to remember the what's in the recipe the next day.

After 40 years the bar still sees plenty of action. This is Chris my friend of 35 years on the day of his parents 50th anniversary

Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2004-10-18 22:34 ]

[ Edited by: Alnshely 2010-04-25 14:10 ]

I like Chris's Drink of choice!!

Cool Hut too! Hanx Al!!!

Pis Doc. That's funny!!!

Old shcool is the only way!!

Thanks, Al. I really enjoy posts like this... It's always nice to see an "uncorrupted" tiki palace still in its pure form. Sometimes, it seems like the character gets "updated" right out of a place.

you think the We We MD will adopt me? I'll work my rent off by slinging drinks and cleaning the pool.

Al, nice post.

...a man of vision not corrupted by foolish temptation of Southwest theme remodels, or electronic game updates in the past 35 years.

Lessons to be learned. fads like "feng shway" (sp?) pass but quality slack...is timeless.

K
Kono posted on Tue, Oct 19, 2004 4:01 AM

On 2004-10-18 22:32, Alnshely wrote:

Hey Al, what are these things?

Great bar! Thanks for sharing.

I am having a bad day and this has cheered me up, great pictures of a great bar with a cool history!

Great post Al - the Doc sounds like quite a character & he has exceptional taste!

To keep an outside Tiki bar in that kind of condition over those many years deserves a round of applause, or at least the tip of a Mai Tai.

Trader Woody

Al, as always you bring something great to our tiki table.
Thanks for the pics...very much enjoyed them.

Thanks so much for sharing. A fabulous bar and a fabulous man. Sometimes it is very hard to find someone who just enjoys life, but when one does it just makes your day, it really does.

RB

Wow. Gives all us "young 'uns" something to strive for.
:drink:

P

Great post, Al ! Thanks for posting those pics.

Quote:

Hey Al, what are these things?

Kono - I believe those are hand-carved pearl oyster shells. But I could be wrong.

Thanks for the great post, Al! Appreciate it.

The Doc knows Tropical Drinks, he has been pouring them for quite some time. He has a tradition we must honor, and, that is the search for the Mumrath. The Mumrath is a legendary rum drink, and you must seek the recipe. When you find the recipe it is cause for great celebration, however, if you do it right you are to drunk to remember the what's in the recipe the next day.

Come on Al, we know you have the recipe. Send it to Unga so that he may Celebrate!
Your threads are the best Al!

B

Now THAT is what we should all be trying to emulate. A fine example of a proper home bar! Very nice Al, I wish we all had more family friends like yours.
-Duke

M

Top notch stuff. WE WE MD got a big morning laugh out of me.

I got all excited, and then was quickly let down!!

I thought this was a home Tiki bar only for us 40 year olds!!!! Tee Hee :)

mmmmm.....

Mumrath.....

Now THAT is class, authentic Tiki spirit!
Mahalo, Al.
I have no need for an urologist, but if I ever do, I sure wish I would live near DIC DOC!

On 2004-10-19 11:54, tikibars wrote:
mmmmm.....

Mumrath.....

could that name derive from...

JABBERWOCKY
Lewis Carroll

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

K
Kono posted on Wed, Oct 20, 2004 3:52 AM

On 2004-10-19 08:59, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

Kono - I believe those are hand-carved pearl oyster shells. But I could be wrong.

Thanks for the great post, Al! Appreciate it.

Thanks Sabu, now that you point it out they do look like oyster shells. I didn't realize oyster got that big. Those were some gigantic oysters.

[ Edited by: Kono on 2004-10-20 03:53 ]

Nice pics (as usual) Al!,

How's about we stop by the Doc's sometime.

M
Murph posted on Thu, Apr 22, 2010 5:11 PM

Did anyone save the pics of this bar?

Yeah
Are they still around. I would like to see them too!
Trader Bob...

A

As you wish... Fucking shutterfly
Mahalo,
Al

Thanks
I hope I am still using my bar in 40 years time! No passing fad for this guy!
Trader Bob

What a great story. Thanks for sharing that with us!

How come I don't have a cool neighbor like this to hang with?!

No kidding, all my neighbors does is rage about the goverment and mow his lawn at 5am. This bar gives one hope for many years of rum to come.

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Aug 12, 2010 6:41 AM

Thanks Al for the original post - Thanks Murph for reviving it.

I'd love to hear the stories Doc must have regarding the P.Islands - to have influenced him to build a personal tiki-temple like this in the first place.

This is exactly the type of exotic backyard environment I (we) love so dearly. Brings back memories of my parents' friends backyard builds growing up in Orange County circa early 60s.

W

Love the bar, anything decorated in 1960's Philippines O Club is good by me! How did you come by that cool saea turtle?

did anyone else think the light switch was hilarious?

P
Polly posted on Tue, Apr 19, 2011 7:09 PM

Love your thatch hut!
Thanks for sharing.

[ Edited by: Polly 2011-04-19 19:10 ]

One of favorites on the home tiki bar thread.

Pages: 1 33 replies