Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

any interested in a mosaic tiki picture?

Pages: 1 19 replies

Thought I'd just share this exciting bit of news...
I was really interested in the mosaic tiki pictures that were shared by alnshely and Dawn Tiki. I too wondered if I could make a picture like that. So after chasing the old companys that made those picture kits and hitting a dead end, I started to look to companies that will custom make a kit for you. I found a company and emailed them Dawn Tikis close up photo. Here is the response copied below:

Melody,

I can work up a price for the Tiki picture. There will be some
differences
between the mosaic tiles I would be using and what was used to create
the
mosaic you sent. For one the tiles I would be using are square and not
rectangular. I believe the tiles that were used to create the picture
you
have was smalti, an italian hand cut glass tile. I would use a square
glass
tile approximately 3/8 x 3/8 to make the design. If you would like I
can
work up a design using the picture you sent using the 3/8 tiles. I can
have
a preliminary design back to you by Tuesday of next week. If you like
what
you see we can proceed further with the design.

Thank you for you inquiry and make it a great day!
Sooo... how cool is that!
I hope I didn't break any rules by submitting Dawn Tikis photo. Thank-you Dawn Tiki, I really should have asked you first if you minded.Newbie excitement grabed me when I found a company that would be willing to do this.It will not look exactly like yours so you will still own something very special.
ask all your Tiki buddies maybe if we get enough interest we could get a better price?
Thanks for reading
Mel

Hey Mel,

I would be interested in having one of those babys myself. Tell them to put you down for another one! If you can send me the cost and maybe a pic, that would be super fantastic!

exotica50 wrote:

I hope I didn't break any rules by submitting Dawn Tikis photo. Thank-you Dawn Tiki, I really should have asked you first if you minded. Newbie excitement grabed me when I found a company that would be willing to do this.It will not look exactly like yours so you will still own something very special.

Well, first things first...As much as I wish it was, this isn't my mosiac. This was not my photo, I took it from the archives of Tiki Central and re-posted it. So I would think whoever took the picture is the person you may or may not have issue with. I'm not sure what the proper protocol or etiquette would be for having this piece copied.
Man?!?! How is it I seem to ALWAYS land smack dab in the middle of these "grey" copyright issue discussions. Noooo more! I give up! Please insert sounds of hysterical, crazy, maniacle laughter here
Just a question to those in the know, since I know less than nothing on this matter...wouldn't the company who manufacutered these in the 60's, possibly have had a copywrite on the pattern? Even if a company goes under wouldn't someone, a person still own the rights to items the company had copyrighted. I guess there really isn't a problem though if the new producers of the mosaic change it just enough that it is their "sort of" original design. What are the copyright laws on producing "interpretations" of copyrighted items? Just something to ponder. Or not.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-10-19 23:44 ]

These moai mosaics were mass produced.
I have seen a few of them over the years.
Wish I had one!

The copyright issue would be like this:

1. Dawn owns the photo, but since the photo is a photo of someone else's art and is just a reference you are using for the new artist to make a new mosaic from, you can legally use the photo if you want.
    But I think a "thanks" to Dawn would be in order! :)

2. The artist making the copy of the mosaic is copying another artist's designs. If the new artist were going to mass-produce the new design for profit, the old copyright holder might have a legit complaint.

Since the new artist is only doing one mosaic, as a private commission, and has already described to you several ways in which the new one will be different from the old one, this means that if the work is done for free, there is no problem.

If it is done for pay, I still wouldn't worry - if the new artist is just doing one, or even a small handful of copies of a product made 40 years ago by an unknown comapny, the likelihood of this company finding out, getting mad, and bothering to file a lawsuit over 4 or 5 pieces produced (as opposed to hundreds or thousands) is next to infinitely small.

You also have a leg to stand on in the micro-small chance of there ever being a problem, since the new artist has gone out of her way to tell you that the new piece will be different fro the old one. This makes it an "homage"... or so a lawyer might successfully argue.

At the very, very, very worst, the new artist might be issued a cease and desist, which would mean she'd have to stop making copoies of this specific work of art... long after the art has found it's new home. But I'd take 1,000,000 to one odds against even this happening.

As long as the new artist doesn't make 100 of these and sell them on a web site, you won't have any problems.

So, unless you have ETHICAL problems (as opposed to LEGAL ones) with commissioning a copy of an existing work (happens all the time, but an effort has been ade to find the original artist and copyright holder, to no avail, so you're in the clear ethically, IMHO), then... pay her what she asks, thank Dawn for the reference pic, and enjoy your art.

And if the price is right... I may have her make me one too.

Do share the quote (and see if she'll lower the price if we order a few of them).

Sorry to have upset you so much Dawn Tiki!!!! that was certainly not my intentions.
After this I will keep my dumb ideas to myself.
Jeez, only been posting a couple of days and already causing an uproar.
I'm hanging my head right now and slowly slinking back off into lurking mode where I can't cause any trouble.

I would love to know how much.
I think they bring back some early sixties for me.
More info please ?

G
gonzo posted on Wed, Oct 20, 2004 8:28 AM

I want one! Let me know who what when!

JT

I'll take one also!

I'd be interested also, depending on price.

You said it was a Kit, not a finished artwork, correct? If so, it might make a cool coffee table top. Hmmmm....

-Z

D

Exotica59, Upset me? Noooo! Heavens no! You didn't upset me at all! Really! I guess you need to know me to get my humor. I just didn't want to get credit for the picture, when all I did was copy it from some old thread on TC and re-post it. And having seen "SO MANY" discussions on TC about copywriting, I just thought this may have be an issue for you or at least the artist making them for you. I sent you a PM last night saying I was interested in finding out more about the mosiac once you have more details. Please don't go back to lurking. Really, now I feel bad for making you feel bad...CRAP!

Melody,

That's very cool to have got in touch with them and (hopefully) got this great project off the ground. If I lived in the States I'd definitely be interested, but I imagine the postge costs for such a kit would be astronomical to the UK.

I don't thing anyone gets overly worked up about photos on Tiki Central being re-used, as long as it's not for commercial purposes like an ad or a book, so don't worry yourself!

Trader Woody

stay tuned for the final draft of the mosaic picture. I myself am not entirely sure what this will look like. I gave her the several versions of pictures that I could find, but told her to use her own artistic license.Could look close to what we have seen before or not. LOL So I'm excited too! Once she has a finished design she will also give me the price. I have passed along to her that several of you are interested if the design and price are right. That's all I have for right now, I will do my best to keep all of you who are interested informed of the progess.
Yes, this will be a kit and what a cool idea to think of a coffee table!Wished I'd have thought of something like that before I did my bar top! That's why I love this place! Such creative people.A big Thank-you to all of you for sharing your ideas and suggestions. Hopefully next week will bring more info.

On 2004-10-19 22:54, DawnTiki wrote:
Well, first things first...As much as I wish it was, this isn't my mosiac. This was not my photo, I took it from the archives of Tiki Central and re-posted it.

What, you guys haven't been to my tiki gallery?
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/misc/aaa
That's a photo I took. I bought that mosaic at an antique mall in San Francisco. The guy selling it bought it at a garage sale in Paradise, California (a little town northeast of Sacramento). I saw it just after the BOT came out and recognized it from the Hunters and Gatherers section.

I really enjoy it and it would be great for someone to make kits of it again. Once our tiki room is set up we plan on making a tiki/jungle scene mosaic coffee table that is illuminated from the underside, like Fireside Kahona!

I think that the mosaic would make a great counter top for a tiki bar.

F

weird- tikihula's mosaic is like a half-sized one. the full mosaic is twice the width of that with storm/lightning, outriggers and more moais. I have one sitting in my half-finished tiki room.. it would be interesting to get a new kit produced.. perhaps i could take closeup shots of mine

i also once saw end pieces to the mosaic that were vertical and big giant single moais

On 2004-10-21 13:03, Slacks Ferret wrote:
I think that the mosaic would make a great counter top for a tiki bar.

Hmmmm.....

If memory serves, that mosaic (extra big style) can be found in the entryway of an apartment building in Rosemead on Rosemead Blvd. I'm sure Sven can confirm.

As far as the copyright issue, I think if the design is changed enough there is no issue.

On 2004-10-26 23:00, Tiki Matt wrote:
As far as the copyright issue, I think if the design is changed enough there is no issue.

The design might be old enough that the copyright has expired. And unless you're mass-producing these and/or making a profit, probably nobody cares.

G
gonzo posted on Sat, Nov 6, 2004 10:44 AM

Exotica is this still a go?

Just a wonderin and to let you know that Im still here

Thanks

Here's a picture of mine with frame.

It's the full-service model.

(but then, what would you expect?)

Holy shit, that is incredible!

Pages: 1 19 replies