Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Does anyone else think we need a extra forum just for ebay stuff, or is just me?

Pages: 1 23 replies

Well do you? It just seems that while it is great to see what is being offered, there is so many that are posting what they are offering that it seems to not be about what people are collecting or what they found while collecting.

Does anyone else think that we need to ask Hanford to add a "ebay forum"?

Or do you think it is great the way it is?

To follow up on this, I think maybe why this is so much a growing issue is the fact that some people are starting a new post for every item they have instead of making one post and then just adding items as they list them as is done by most I believe.

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-10-20 16:01 ]

[edited by Hanford to remove the "ebay" tag]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-10-20 17:08 ]

It's probably a good idea now that there are so many of these posts these days. I'm always absent-mindedly clicking on them only to see a boring line of code to an auction that I could probably find on eBay anyway, (if I really wanted such an item).

There is a real danger of being swamped by this stuff.

Trader Woody

hey toa....do we really need e-bay links
at all....i would assume that e-bayers
like myself always check the auctions
anyway. Plus..I think I stole a "pearl
of wisdom" print cuz it wasn't under a
"tiki" header...i've seen one in the last
week that went for fifty bucks more than
i paid...probably because it was listed
under tiki. the point i'm making is that
drawing attention to items in the tiki
forum probably makes the selling prices
climb....good for seller...but is it good
for us?

TB

I think its fine the way it is. There are alot of forums as it is in my opinion.

[ Edited by: tiki bird on 2004-10-20 14:45 ]

i think a 'trading post' forum is a good idea. it wld be a forum for posting ONLY items for sell or trade.

such blatant capitalism wld then be confined to one area (& leave the collecting forum for discussion about collecting) & you'd only go there if you're looking for stuff to buy/sell.

I agree with Mr. Toa in having a separate forum, because it really depends on what side of the coin you are on. Seller or bidder, let's face it no one is in the wrong for trying to maximize their profit, on the other hand(this applies to me) I would like to find a steal on ebay as well and posting them here doesnt help my cause.

I dont think that the people that post their auctions here are not familiar with the items, and are just letting us know. It's the people that do not know about tiki that are missing out on the price they could have had if they listed the item correctly (that's where good ebay search practices come in) . The uneducated are the only ones that lose out. If your like me, I know that everyone and their brother(or sister) is looking at the posted items on TC and that they are going to sell way higher than others that are not.

I feel that a separate forum would not only stop the clutter up in the Collecting/Main disscussion area, but it would also give a common area for all the sellers to advertise.

[ Edited by: kimcheebref on 2004-10-20 13:38 ]

M

That's a tough call because there are so many times that something starts out as just an eBay listing, but turns into a very informative thread that belongs under "Collecting Tiki". But I do agree that it seems like lately there has been a deluge of eBay posts.

From what I have noticed, the seasoned TC'ers will post ONCE about ALL of their auctions that are currently up on the block - instead of listing every single auction/item separately. I think that that alone is clogging up the forum. Maybe for the time being, we encourage people to combine their auctions into one post if possible.

D

I agree with a separate posting for Ebay auctions-it's great to see new items,but they kind of clutter things up.I also must say I'd like to hear more from the posters than just an advert for a product.

I like it the way it is, but have noticed the many e-bay links lately.
Sooo many of them seem to be from brand spanking new members who only seem to post their auctions.

I don't have as much time to check e-bay as I used to, so I appreciate the heads up. Especially if it's TCers selling their items.

Whatevah, I'm happy regardless.

I'm with Toa on this subject. I would like a seperate forum for e-bay advertisers. I am on e-bay enough to know what I'm looking for.
Later,
Spermy
P.S. A seperate forum would be good to have on the days I have money burning a hole into my pockets.

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2004-10-20 15:57 ]

Interesting topic. Please, everyone chime in. This has been discussed over and over in the past, but since the decision has been made mostly on the volume of ebay listings, that perhaps it's time to revisit this.

~Hanford

A separate Ebay forum would be good for those who may not be able to collect "in the wild."
It also would help those who rarely buy off Ebay, by uncluttering the Collecting forum. Some of us will drive all over in the thrill of the hunt, and online auctions just don't seem sporting, as it were.

That being said, some "Collecting" forum items that were originally in stores (Tiki at Target, or Z Gallerie, for example) are now showing up on Ebay.

P

ebay IS the ebay collecting forum.

What difference would it really make except for scrolling down another page under another header?

This forum isn't THAT overwhelmed.

On 2004-10-20 18:48, pablus wrote:
This forum isn't THAT overwhelmed.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:55 ]

I spoke to Hanford about this on Shout a while ago.
I thought it would be good to have an area where people who create Tiki stuff or have items to sell can do on so TC.
Ok there wouldnt be any bidding but you could just have an asking price you want for something and if someone wants it they could Pm you and buy it.

T

I agree with Cheekytiki, that is why I started this post, in a lot of ways for me personally I see the creating and collecting posts as a kind of psuedo TC market place for the typical TC'er. But of late it seems as if when you go to collecting forum all you see is 10 listings by one person for there ebay stuff, and I know that Hanford incourages this, but it seems for many people it is their only presence here among us, they could at least spend some time and expain what it is they are posting, where it came from, how they got it. Anything other then just another freakin ebay link as Woody pointed out and the words "here ya go, check it out". docwoods also has the point they seem to really add a kind of virtual clutter, I also agree with filslash that it would be nice to see if maybe in the future that if you do a ebay post that it would expire to internet purgatory to free up space for other posts that are not just someone's secondary ebay listing.

What if we had en E-Bay thread that permanently resides at the top of the collecting tiki forum? Then you could add your auction to the thread, and it wouldn't take up any more room. That way we don't add any more forums, and a big part of collecting tiki is still in the right spot!(I'll never find a Mai Kai barrel mug or a Tiki Bob without e-bay!)

On 2004-10-22 11:18, Tikiwahine wrote:
What if we had en E-Bay thread that permanently resides at the top of the collecting tiki forum?

Excellent idea, if it could be done!

That way we don't keep losing interesting posts off the page and into obscurity every time someone decides to put 5 items on eBay and creates a post for each one.

Trader Woody

Maybe there could be a u-moderate feature to move posts directly to that thread?

Unless a title like "Post your e-bay auctions here" or "All e-Bay auctions here" would do the trick

E

I'd like to see all the "for sale" posts (not eBay only) in a separate section.

For the occasional ones that turn into an informative discussion, we could use the U-Moderate feature to suggest moving the thread to Collecting Tiki.

{Later: Oh--Tikiwahine beat me to the U-Moderate punch!}

[ Edited by: Erika on 2004-10-22 11:40 ]

S
SES posted on Sat, Oct 23, 2004 5:28 AM

Just use Shout.

Any more thoughts on this? It looks like it's leaning towards a seperate forum for marketplace and ebay auctions.....

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:56 ]

please don't charge folks for posting anything!

too many variables!

plus, often members will post ebay auctions that aren't even theirs! i know i've done that before when i couldn't afford an item or just didn't want to bid on it. i would hate to think that someone had to pay just to pass on info about a cool mug, etc. that was seen on ebay.

also, i like it when tc members offer their own work or goodies from their collections.

i, personally, like having access to tiki things for sale/trade (& access to sell/trade my own stuff from time to time). i would hate for their to be anything that takes away the incentive to post items for sale/trade.

Pages: 1 23 replies