Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Kona Kai Tiki Help

Pages: 1 8 replies

HT

So, I may have found a true treasure. A 3.5-4' tiki planter at an antique dealer for $75. It's definately vintage, I didn't get a chance to look for a mark. It's definately weathered. It's a small tiki with long arms holding a bowl shape over his head. I assume that it was used as a planter at one point, as it is too tall to be an ashtray. At any rate, I'm picking it up this weekend. It's in really good condition. Oh, and it has earrings. The guy I'm buying it from said he got it about 10 years ago when a restaurant in philly shut down. I don't think the guy has a clue, as even if it is just a vintage tiki, it is still well worth the $75. At any rate, I am having a very hard time trying to find photos of the Kona Kai in Philadelphia. Can anyone help me? I'm hoping it might show up in a photo somewhere, and I'll post photos of Him the day I pick it up.
Mahalo
lucky

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2004-10-20 16:13 ]

8T

Do you have a copy of "THE BOOK OF TIKI" ?
If not, GET ONE!!!!!!!
If so, look at pages 140-143

HT

Lol. of course, I've had it for years. unfortunately, that, a postcard in another book, and newspaper clippings are the only things i've got. I was hoping perhaps someone was there when it all went down. Mahalo for the advice though.

Yeah no, pics of that place are hard to come by, it must have been quite a temple.

It did exist up into the early 80s though, there is a frat/teenage comedy movie from that time that has extended scenes playing in it, unfortunately the title escapes me at the moment.
Or it might have been sitting there for some time closed up, and only rented out as film location.

I'd be interested in seeing the film. I'm going tomorrow morning to pick it up, and am excited as can be. I'll see if I can milk any information out of him. I'll have pics posted tomorrow night.

HT

HAZZAH, AND HERE, ARE THE PICTURES!!!

Well, yes? ah?

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2004-10-23 21:39 ]

Wow, what a find. Not from the Kona Kai though, which was outfitted by Oceanic Arts.

This baby is a very early Witco ('62). The black paint is not original. Love the design, tres cool.

So sayeth the shepard. Mahalo

Oh, and I talked the guy down to $60.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2004-10-23 22:05 ]

bigbrotiki, this question might benefit others. would i be better off leaving the black paint, or using a gentle stripping agent and refinishing it with an original color stain and clear gloss finish?

Pages: 1 8 replies