Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Who has the most Tiki mugs?

Pages: 1 18 replies

S

I was just curious as to the size of everyone's collection. I've only been collecting for the past 3 years. I just counted them up and i'm at 87.

T

I think Mr. Smiley has 87 of every kind!!!
You've got a lotta catching up to do...

I don't know who has the most, but I have the BIGGEST ONE! I'll show it to everybody at the Big Ol Tiki Bash. Keep your minds out of the gutter folks.

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2002-09-21 23:02 ]

Ah yes, the infamous and elusive John C. Holmes Mug...

TK

I have millions, MILLIONS I TELL YOU! They are hidden in houses and garages and storage units all over the world, but there mine, ALL MINE! AHHHA AH HA HA HA HHHAA HHAAaaaaa....ha. uhh, Doctor?

I have 62 different ones. I do not collect doubles. I have been collecting since the end of May this year. This is addicting.

90 mugs, most of them vintage

I wouldn't worry too much about the quantity of Tiki mugs you have...there's people out there with collections so vast that you'd hyperventilate as soon as you enter their collection room(s). To get a large collection these days you either need a limitless supply of $$$ or are willing to fill a wall with leilani mugs.

My advice is to treat your mug collection like you would a record collection....go for ones you particularly like or have some sort of personal attachment too. That way it's YOUR collection and not just a size issue.

Trader Woody

My advice is to treat your mug collection like you would a record collection....go for ones you particularly like or have some sort of personal attachment too. That way it's YOUR collection and not just a size issue.

Because size doesn't matter, right Mr. Woody? :)

Well I've always heard it's actually the 'width' of your collection that really counts.

(And how you display it, of course!)

Trader Woody

M

I only have a couple chipped Benihana mugs--unless my TV show tonight on Home & Garden Tv proves me to be a liar!!

T

OOH! OOH! mrsmiley is SUCH a liar. He has a bunch of "Trader Dick's" ones, and even some of those incredibly rare and expensive coconut mugs from Trader Vic's!!!

D

It's true I saw Chiki's Tiki Mug with my own eyes, it was so BIG, it had its own room, I started to walk up to it, I thought about what it might be like to take a sip from the rim of this drinking vessel fit for the Gods, then I noticed an earie blue light emanating from depths of this Massive Monster Mug! My palms started to sweat, my knees got week, my head began to swoon, I turned and ran out of that room, to frightened to look back! :drink: Come to think of it.....it could have been the fumes from all the varnish! PEE U! Great Mug!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2002-10-02 19:45 ]

Well, I always heard that it wasnt how BIG your collection was, it was how you used it.

Lets just say that I have quite a few more than my wife would like me to have...and fewer than I would lik eto have.
But, unlike some others, I do collect doubles of everything! I guess it's that obbessive-compulsive thing I've spoken about, but I'm always afraid that one will get broken - and atleast I'll have a back up. (No, I could NEVER live in So Cal - too much shakin out there.)
I am so bad about this that if I had 10 of my Stephen Crane Luau mugs (as seen on the back of the BOT), and I was about to be foreclosed upon and live in a cardboard box, I would only sell 5 of those mugs..and maybe trade 1. But, I would keep atleast 2 in case 1 of 'em got broke.

Very anal...I know...I'm told that frequently. I am a very sad excuse for a person. :(

-C.

Thankyou for enjoying my tiki mug Dawntiki. We have moved it to Bamboo Ben's store to keep the custom-made tiki bars company.

T

Some advice for those of you who haven't been blessed with a BIG one, do what I did and go buy a corvette! :wink:

I don't even drive......you know what that means, girls. wink.

Trader Woody

S

Woody, your name says it all! :wink:

M

I have all the mugs I need...but not all the mugs I want.

:)

-martin

Pages: 1 18 replies