Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Beware the Trader Vic's Tiki Puka Puka

Pages: 1 20 replies

I love TV's tiki puka puka; it is my favorite drink. It comes in a large bowl with a gardenia floating in it that I put in my hair and later, if not too drunk, take home and float in water so my apt smells nice for a week.

You order it and the waitress often gives you this disclaimer: "Are you sure? It's really strong..."

Last night, after a tiki puka puka and I swear NOTHING ELSE (at trader vic's, anyway), I went home, got into my jammies, and started brushing my teeth. My cat was playing hide and seek under the rug in the hallway - the rug was essentially bunched up with a huge lump in it. I saw this, and then promptly forgot it.

So I was walking down the hallway (not sure why), brushing my teeth, and of course tripped over the huge lump in the rug, forgetting there was a lump in the rug. I became entangled, briefly, in the lump in the rug, which promptly made some hissing and yowling noises, and then bit me in the right calf. In the melee, I almost fell, but the wall caught me, giving me a nice and unique case of "wall burn" on my elbow.

And then, later, I fell asleep during an activity which I normally enjoy.

So today, I have this wall burn on my arm which still stings, feline bite marks on my right leg, and for some reason I still haven't figured out, I'm sore in my left shoulder and right buttock.

Beware!

p.s. The boo boo kitty is fine and in good working order.

Sounds like you had a great time, at TV's at least.

S

Falling asleep "during" an activity arouses my curiosity. My best to the kitty.

T

I usually fall asleep after wrestling with pussy too.

LOL

On 2004-10-21 21:00, tikibars wrote:
I usually fall asleep after wrestling with pussy too.

So you can imagine how rude it would be to Ms. Kitty to fall asleep on her during the act!

K

Unfortunately the Tiki Puka Puka at Trader Vic's got me in trouble and banned in ATL. Too much yankee rum drinky!!! Definately my favorite TV drink but the bowl size should not be consumed alone.

Scotty

[ Edited by: Kanaka on 2004-10-22 11:54 ]

T

That's a great story dangergirl, but I don't understand the "Beware" part. It sounds like a good time was had by all!

Cheers to your kitty! :drink:

On 2004-10-22 11:59, tikimug wrote:
That's a great story dangergirl, but I don't understand the "Beware" part. It sounds like a good time was had by all!

Cheers to your kitty! :drink:

well I'm sure the kitty didn't appreciate being attacked by my feet; and my elbow certainly doesn't appreciate the very painful wallburn; and my drinking companion probably didn't appreciate being fallen asleep on!

so use with caution...

M

The one that we always get the warning about is the Queen's Park Swizzle. Not even sure if it's on the menu anymore. I think the recipe is:

1/2 oz. lime juice
5 oz. Bacardi 151

Rough stuff. The only person I know who can drink more than one is Floratina, but that's because she's a rotten drunk. :wink:

(Post finished- no pussy comments)

I went last week to Trader Vic's London and, being aware of this thread, felt brave enough to order a Tiki Puka Puka. It was strong, but very tasty, and the presentation was great as well. Anyway, I was thinking about any cat that crossed my way to the hotel.

But (here comes the scary part) someone very nice from the staff ordered ONE MORE Tiki Puka Puka for me. Man, that was though, because it was so good I drank the two dangerous drinks in a row, didn't mind about british cats.

Once we left the bar, although it was freezing, we didn't feel any cold in our faces. Just that we met another spanish girl that was kind of lost in the city and we tried to guide her to Baker Street, and since she was half-pissed as we were, we don't know if she arrived or not, and felt very sorry. End of the story.

The menehunes made me do it!

P

So, you were winding your way down to Baker Street, light in your head and dead on your feet?

Yes, but you know we're gonna keep moving, you know we're never gonna stop moving.

Anyone have a recipe for the Puka Puka? A friend ordered one at TV's the last time we were there, and it was fantastic.

G

Right here. But don't expect it to taste the same as what you get at Vic's. The Navy Grog mix the bartenders use is not the same as the one they sell you. I played around with some Navy Grog ingredients in the Tiki Puka Puka and got decent, but not spectacular results. Needs more work.

On 2004-10-25 09:47, martiki wrote:
The one that we always get the warning about is the Queen's Park Swizzle. Not even sure if it's on the menu anymore. I think the recipe is:

1/2 oz. lime juice
5 oz. Bacardi 151

Rough stuff. The only person I know who can drink more than one is Floratina, but that's because she's a rotten drunk. :wink:

How does that stuff not taste awful?

S

Kinda reminds me of cough medicine. If you can finish it you'll be OK. :)

The Trader Vic's Revised Bartender's Guide has a recipe for the tiki puka-puka. Unfortunately, it lists TV's Navy Grog Mix as an ingredient. Anyone know if the earlier 1940's edition of the Bartender's Guide has a more complete recipe?

On 2007-12-18 10:55, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:

On 2004-10-25 09:47, martiki wrote:

1/2 oz. lime juice
5 oz. Bacardi 151

How does that stuff not taste awful?

It's in the using of proper mixing techniques. All the better if you use a bois lele tree (also called quaraibea_turbinata) swizzle stick.

[credit for information and photo to Ed Hamilton of The Ministry of Rum]

I know a few who swear by this drink.

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2008-03-24 10:16 ]

RR

I know a few who swear by this drink.

That's funny, I know a few people who swear at this drink.

I like the way it is presented, The Puka Puka even has its own appreciation page on FaceBook

Pages: 1 20 replies