Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

First Carving Attempt!

Pages: 1 8 replies

Alright, here's my first carving attempt. After looking around at everyone else's carvings here I am humbled. I had a LOT of fun with it though, and I don't think it came out too bad considering the shape of the log to begin with :). While I wanted a more ornate piece, it turned out as a very weathered looking Moai :)...or at least that's the way I see it. Any feedback is MOST welcome :).

Let me know what you think :).

Also, I swear it has a nose you can see...musta been the camera angles :-/.

[ Edited by: charlie_kaneintx on 2004-10-21 19:51 ]

It;s funny how the log can dictate the shape some times. You did right by not fighting it. Now onto your next log. Chop chop chisel chisel.

Oh, and nice start,

http://www.NiceFishy.com

[ Edited by: Raffertiki on 2004-10-21 20:03 ]

Very nice. Keep going, you will be amazed at how cool the next one will be, and the next, and the next...

Lookin' good! Keep up the carving. By the way...do I know you? I ask because I look quite a bit like your weathered Moai after a long day. :)

Looks like a wise and ancient moai. Are you working on your next yet?

Haven't found a second log yet. Tomorrow though, I will have a new log, oh yes, a new log. Hopefully a harder wood, I'd love to put some teeth on the next one :wink:. Thanks for the feedback guys/gals :).

once you start it is hard to stop, just look at me, i have more wood than time. Like alot of fellow tc'ers say get to know local aurborist. I went to a nearby saw mill and found it was fairly cheap.
Good luck and keep us posted.

B

Hey Charlie, That looks great for your first. You will find the wood dictates a lot of what you do. You did the right thing, letting it have it's way. Take plenty pictures because you will be proud of this guy for a Long time.

B

Hey Charlie, where you been? Is thet second piece wearing you out? Show and Tell, bring it on.
(I should talk!)

Pages: 1 8 replies