Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Hawaiian Guitar -Info Needed - South Seas

Pages: 1 2 replies

T

I have seen a guitar for sale in a local antique shop - it says 'South Seas' on peg board and has scenes of outriggers and palm trees painted on it... priced at $79 CAN (about 50 US).

Is this worth buying for re-sale? Is it collectible?

Tikifish,

I would consider a few things before buying a used instrument for its resale value. The first would be - is it to be used by musicians, in other words, will someone be interested in it to play it?

If so, checks its playability. Is the neck straight? do the strings buzz when a chord is played? is the top or bottom pulling away from the sides? Is the hardware (tuning keys and tailpiece) in workable condition? Does it stay in tune after being tuned up and played for a while?

If buying it to be some sort of collection piece, who is the maker (look inside the sound hole or on the headstock for a label or mark); when was it made (you can tell based upon the serial number); what are other similar ones selling for?

Buying instruments as an investment is tricky if you don't know what you're looking for.

Good luck

Sounds like I'd best leave it alone then - I tried playing guitar but failed miserably. I like the looks of it, but considering it's been hanging in the store for 6 months, I guess no one else does, which is a bad sign if I want to re-sell it.

Plus, those things are hard to ship...

I was curious though, thought maybe I'd found a hidden treasure. I've got to stop watching Antiques Roadshow, it's messing with my head...

Pages: 1 2 replies