Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Primer Nationals Photos-Cars-Trailers

Pages: 1 10 replies

For those who did not make it.......

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Lotsa cars though some started leaving by noon. There were a lot of cool primered sleds. not sure why those pix did not come out.

Phantom Riders rockin thru "Swamp Gas"

The woodwork in this trailer was eye-popping. I could live in this thing.

It was a beautiful day. Many of the bands headed to a local dive bar (The Red Cove) to join several other Rockabilly bands starting about 4:30 ( 10 -12 bands playing 45 minute sets through the night). $1.00 cover charge to get in. It was packed! The parking lot was overflowing with people. Check Main Discussion post for pix of the Tiki art and our stop later at The Hong Kong Inn for the Polynesian Revue.

[ Edited by: bongofury on 2004-10-25 21:08 ]

T

Mahalo for sharing Bongo, man that is some awesome looking stuff!

Again , thanks for sharing. wish i was there.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Oct 26, 2004 7:12 AM

Some sweet rides, pics are tops.

When is someone going to put together a full-on bad-ass tiki wagon?

Look at the 1st pic (heavily chopped and chanelled '32 sedan highboy in light blue). Now imagine if it was just as chopped and chanelled, still a highboy, but a woody body! Something like the Hotwheels surfcrate.

For decorating a couple of vintage lonboards on top. Inside full hawaiin print on seats, burlap for the door trims and floor, wood slat headliner, tiki shifter, vintage surf/tiki stickers covering rear windows, tiki pinstriped on radiator cowl.

She'd turn some heads I reckon. Can anyone photo shop it?

When is someone going to put together a full-on bad-ass tiki wagon?

It's on it's way!! Keep an eye on the Speed Channel. It went down here in good ol' HB.

J

My 20 month old son is a subscriber to Rod and Custom, one night when after he went to bed I lifted a copy out of his stack and snuck into the living room to thumb through it...the magazine sponsors a yearly contest where the readers pick five rods or customs to have them put them through the performance tests like they would with new cars. One of the cars that was running for its chance to compete was a super cool custom made '32 Ford Highboy woody - the only problem was the pic was tiny! I'll try to post the pic!

On 2004-10-26 17:41, johntiki wrote:
My 20 month old son is a subscriber to Rod and Custom

He's nearly two years old and reading ALREADY?!? 8)

J

He's been a subscriber for nearly 18 months! The subscription was actually a gift from a friend of mine who thought it would be a good idea to bring the kid up right! He does enjoy "wrinkling" his way through the magazine and lingering on the pictures. On a few occassions he's even brought an issue over to me and requested simply, "read." I'm always more than happy to oblige since it's a refreshing change of pace when you've read "Curious George Take a Job" and "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel" 500 times! :)

Hewey- Actually, Car Kulture Deluxe Issue #5 featured an old Merc wagon on the cover for a story called "Polynesian Perfection".
This dude fixed up a '54 Monterey Woody wagon and it's pretty sharp!
He has the long board out the back and it's pretty tiki-fied.

You outta check it out.

Bongofury- Thanks for the pics bro! Unfortunately the car cruisin' season is rather limited to three or four months for us here in the mid-west. October is hit-or-miss with the small shows / cruises. I sure wish we had the shows you guys have out there!

Thanks again!

Wow! that is a car show. As weird as this may sound; I really enjoyed all the palm trees around. Neat trailers. Are they the "new thing" at car shows these days?

If you look closely at that first picture you may see a vintage 6' Tiki right behind that car. He would not sell it.

Seaside Park is where the annual Ventura County Fair is held. Greatful Dead also made it one of their annual concert venues as do other bands. They have a flea market 5-6 times a year (the day after primernationals) put on by the Rose Bowl Swap promoters (on a much smaller scale). The Beach is across the street.

That Polynesian Perfection Woody is very cool. Those shots were taken at Pismo Beach. Pismo has a good car show Father's Day weekend. They park cars from downtown all the way out onto the pier. My brother has way too much money in his 550+hp 55 Chevy and is now looking for a trailer. To his credit he put 90% of the work in it himself. We like the cars that are drivers which is why we prefer the Rat Fink and Primer Nationals shows. Mrs. Fury goes to the SEMA show in Vegas every year (business). Now it's all about goosing your import. Pretty boring for her.

Her 67 Vette.......she gave it up to buy a house. But she IS in the market for a mid 60s GTO or Chevelle. Please let us know if you or someone you know has one to sell......that Astro van has to go.......

Pages: 1 10 replies