Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Save your pennies - Disneyland's 50th is going to have some great Tiki Room items!

Pages: 1 17 replies

T

OK - so this post is a total tease, (and I'll mention specifics when I've been allowed to) - but Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily are going to have some truely awesome Enchanted Tiki Room collectables available to purchase next year, for Disneyland's 50th Anniversary! They are creating over 200 different items related to classic Disneyland attractions, circa 1955 - 1972...

Like I said - I'll mention specifics when I can - for now I've been asked not to!

But start saving those puka shells...

H

I can whole-heartedly echo this tease... I also have been asked to keep it under my hat, but I feel comfortable saying that we're going to be very, very happy campers. Kevin and Jody do top-notch work and are serious tikiphiles, these items are going to be beautiful and very in keeping with the original spirit of the Enchanted Tiki Room.

HT

CURSES! I'm on the east coast, and have no California connections. Perhaps I shall have to bribe someone who lives near there. Muah hahahhaha. (Evil laugh)

I've seen a sculpt of something really big! I am not sure if the boys had something to do with this one but it is the biggest one to date in the tiki world.

I've got 3 pennies saved up already!

I knew 20 years of annual passes, and hardly any tiki trinkets to buy all those 20 years would mock me if I moved away! I have four pennies! I hope they put some tiki designs in one of those squished penny machines!

[ Edited by: ZebraTiki on 2004-10-27 21:53 ]

[ Edited by: ZebraTiki on 2004-10-27 21:54 ]

T

the bird on my fence told me about a little hush-hush as well. It seems everyone knows, but nobodies talking.

Hmmm...I think our Westcoast Tiki Road Trip 2005, which happens to end at Disneyland, will have to be scheduled around this fantastic event!

I know that the tiki room is supposed to re-open in May, I wonder when this bash is taking place? Hmmm? :)

Aaaah! Puka shells, puka shells, where did I put those puka shells... ...

Darn it! no puka shells! I'll just have to scrape some cash up into a great big ol' itty-bitty pile & use that instead. :wink:

Seriously, does anyone have a good guess as to pricing of these unspeakable collectables?

Pricing... I think I can mention pricing...
It will be comparable to the Tiki Room "Big Fig" model by Larry Nikolai, which is now sold out I am told...
If that is the case - things will certainly be affordable. I mean - it's not like buying a Stockton Islander menu or anything....

TM

For those of us 'not in the know', what "types" of items will they have. I know there will be a 50th anniv mug (previously posted by Holden). Mugs, shirts, figures, etc....??

Ok, there are alot of different threads about The Enchanted Tiki Room, and I didn't want to start a whole new one, so I thought Tangaroa's "Save Your Pennies" thread would be the most appropriate (sort of) to add my latest discovery. Forgive me if this was already mentioned.

I was at Disneyland on Christmas Day and while strolling through the arcade with my little girl looking for new pressed penny designs to add to her collection, I found this one:

I thought it was cool and got one for .51 cents.

SCD- That pressed penny is the coolest! You only got one?!

Y'all don't even want to know how easily amused I get over pressed pennies! Let's just say the best results are from super shiny new pennies, and guess who always has a secret stash of them.

If anyone else gets an extra one of these, I have other pennies we could trade, including other Disney & some Bay Area destinations. :)

Thanks tanga! You always bring some cool news!

Looks like it's about time to upgrade those disney passes...

8T

Did someone say squished pennies??

http://www.squished.com/featuresnew/features_101.html

When we first met.......

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2004-12-28 09:01 ]

E

Thanks for the show-n-tell, SCD, and thanks for the Squished Penny Museum link, 8FT Tiki! I collect those too.

Interesting: I see (under "Meet the Curators") that one of the Squished Penny Museum overlords also collects tiki mugs.

Would any Disneyland pass holder be willing to pick me up an Enchanted Tiki Room penny sometime? (With proper reimbursement and/or bribery.)

[ Edited by: Erika on 2004-12-28 10:46 ]

For you penny collectors, you can go to city hall and they will give you a list of all the available pressed pennies in the park, and I think their locations. I warn you though, be prepared to spend a fortune if you want all of them!

Leana

8T

Interesting: I see (under "Meet the Curators") that one of the Squished Penny Museum overlords also collects tiki mugs.

Yes Erika, I first learned of these folks when our local PBS station aired a segment on a show called "Rare Visions and Roadside Revelations" This is a really neat program that originated here in Kansas City on KCPT channel 19. I think some other PBS stations have picked up the show. Basically, the program features 3 members of the tv stations staff who take these roadtrips and look for weird things along the way. They focus on the works of local folk artists who are famous or infamous and they love to film the giant statues and big muffler men etc.
I saw the guy at the penny museum had some mugs behind him in one of the interview segments.

When we first met.......

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2004-12-28 13:57 ]

Pages: 1 17 replies