Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The Enchanted Tiki Room soundtrack history here:

Pages: 1 0 replies

The Enchanted Tiki Room show soundtrack remained the same from it's opening in 1963 until the mid 90's. At that point they were toying the idea of bringing a new show. Eventually the new show went to Florida, it was a big flop there. Then they decided to re-record the entire soundtrack with the surviving cast in order to keep the same show but with better sound quality. Needless to say, the re-recordings made all the birds sound like senior citizens so it was never installed. You can find the re-recording of "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing" on the "Theme Park Sing-Along" CD still available. What happened next is that they "remastered" the entire show and put new speakers in the show (with awfull sounding subwoofers. I remember seeing (and hearing) the complete show in this "remastered" version. This version dropped some audio elements such as the climactic gong. It also added some of the female vocals from the earlier re-recording. That is why, since then, a couple of songs such as "Let's All Sing.." and the Heigh Ho finale had extra added female vocals(bad choice IMHO)A few months later, the crowds were still leaving. At that point they decided to edit down the show. This is still the mid to late 90's and that is the version of the show we remember from recent years. Now cut to the present. Today, the entire show has been remixed, and restored with today's better technology (WAY better tech than what was available in the 90's, BTW). So.... while the complete restored version of the show will make an appearance on the Disneyland Box Set next May (including the pre-show, lawyer-permitting), it will still get the Offenbach piece axed. Some Imagineers I won't mention (cough....BG...cough)still feel that that piece would bore people.
Now I have not yet heard this new version (but will soon as I've been helping out on the box set)so I don't know if the new restored version get's rid of the female vocals added in the 90's and adds the gong back in. We'll have to wait and hope they make the right decisions.
Your friend,
Louis

Pages: 1 0 replies