Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Jeff Koons Mug worth checking out...

Pages: 1 2 replies

Some of you might be shocked to find there are other artist besides Shag...and one of the most influential Artists of the past 20 years has been the controversial Jeff Koons. He embraces banality, and has made a folk art of making fun of established art by being established art. Some of his antics include sculptures of Michael Jackson (portrayed as white) making eyes at a chimp; Moronic stainless steel pieces that look like crappy mylar balloon animals, parody of what you are told not to do under any circumstance in art class...children and cute puppies some on huge scale, and his series "Made in heaven" where he and his Italian wife have every kind of good luvin' there is, (He no doubt used the my "talk citrus" line to arouse her this much... described in the "Pick Up Line" thread...any port in a storm as they say.
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Exhibit/9929/koons/
At any rate he has coffee cups now...not Tiki, but certainly kitche, and if he dies, just think how valuable they will be!
http://www.illyusa.com/AB1666000/showprod.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=215

There are others less interesting but the ones on this link are quite whimsical and fun.

[ Edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-10-28 21:10 ]

I have to admit I kinda like what he does.

He fills the void Warhol left. His eye for composition is quite good.

Thanks for the links.

I saw the Michael jackson ceramic at the SF MOMA and it's really cool in person. I'd buy it.

GT. I'm glad you appreciate the appreciate the link.

As someone with an art background, I appreciate his talent. Lots of people are bothered that he has his crafted done by other people. (Like his crystal figurines of the Heaven series) I too agree that he fills an important void

I love that he has managed to break so many rules, without being hurtfull.

We all understand a piece that unleashes emotion is powerful...The crosses in jars of urine infuriate people which is thier point...blablabla...but He can break those established boundries and be funny.

I'm glad you have an opinion, thanks

Pages: 1 2 replies