Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Blowing unsequestered smoke...

Pages: 1 7 replies

BK,

I was thinking on the point of that light orb accompanying you and that Marq pole. Didn't the original carvers imbue their idols with Mana? Either that or proof you're being visited by the Marquesan God Tiki: Patron Muse of the Artist! Your style is so authentic it really is taboo! There's definite magic going on there! It's a sign... You're hardcore Tiki!

-FB

On 2003-12-14 20:59, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Here is yours truly (I'm the guy in the middle) with a new 7 foot-6-inch pole I just finished in the theme of my Hale Tiki railposts, Marquesan cartoony style, along with the second, more refined railpost done after the prototype I showed earlier. Hey, notice that wierd eye-shaped light "orb" near the bottom of the photo? That's the second time one of these has showed itself near a tiki I just carved (I'm dead serious)...The camera lens was CLEAN AS A WHISTLE. When photographing the Imperial Luau tikis a while back the same orb showed up near the left eye of the top face on -each- tiki from very different angles in a couple of shots.. Wierd...the ghosts of Donn Beach and Trader Vic coming to impose their great mana on the tikis here? Who knows....

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-12-14 21:01 ]

[ Edited by: FREAKBEAR on 2004-10-29 19:38 ]

K
Kono posted on Fri, Oct 29, 2004 7:23 PM

I don't know if you meant to start a new thread or were trying to reply to an old one but...

You've reminded me what an amazing talent BK has. I don't say that lightly either. BK, I hope you get back to chiseling again sometime soon. I've had the feeling that you carve for the love of it for the most part, but I think you could make some moolah from your skills. I hope to see some new Basement Kahuna art soon.

BK is a bruddah I'd make plans to hang with some day soon.

D

The orb is a spirit of some sort.

S

I missed my chance to get my BK carving and I regret it. In fact, I am now making ends meet at a tools store where I get stuff at cost. I spent a good deal of time looking at the chisels and mallets and sharpening stones last night. If I had some wood to practice on and time and BK to watch over a little, I'd start up myself. And it would be because of him.

I want a large trio of tikis for the bar (Lono, Kane, Ku) and a pair of half rounds for the entry. Maybe even 1/4 or full rounds for the corners. Plus I want the trio of cannibal tikis for the bar that Don Beach "created." Who can afford to buy this? And who besides OA makes it? Well, BK could and would do it. I can't afford him right now. So, I thought maybe the key was to do it myself. Carve for my own grass shack... All because of Dave.

L

On 2004-10-29 18:16, FreakBear wrote:
BK,

I was thinking on the point of that light orb accompanying you and that Marq pole......

Dayum! Those are sum fabulous carvings!

blew up the ghost orb (looks like an S or 8 )
...and found something else...
http://homepage.mac.com/kimolanikai/PhotoAlbum1.html

[ Edited by: lanikai on 2004-10-30 12:58 ]

You guys are too much...thanks. I'm certainly not worthy. I want to carve again soon. Have two logs right now that are calling if I can ever get any time off from Carlson/Raddison. All of you are inspirational. Thanks, friends!

Yes, BK's stuff is amazing! I've been wanting one of his Marquesan's for YEARS now -- so BK, if you are reading this and one of those logs is not spoken for, I want a Marq like the one on the right.

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-11-11 08:36 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies