Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

check out a new cartoon I am working on! :) UPDATE!! Review!!

Pages: 1 12 replies

OK....I've really been out of the loop for a little bit and with good reason...I got a new job! And now, you can view the fruits of my labor at:
http://www.timanderic.com
or
http://www.bobanddavid.com
I am art directing a new show for Adult Swim on Cartoon Network called "Tom Goes to the Mayor" that will be debuting on November 14 and I am very proud! Check out the promos at the top of the page....I hope you like!

UPDATE!!! The Hollywood Reporter just gave us a great review! I am very proud!

Tom Goes to the Mayor

By Ray Richmond

Bottom line: Often uproariously funny.

11:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 14
Cartoon Network

Anyone who has spent much time watching Cartoon Network's deliciously warped "Adult Swim" nighttime block of original programming knows the drill by now: More or less, anything goes. "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" features animated fast food products, for crying out loud. So it should surprise no one that "Tom Goes to the Mayor" sets the outrageousness bar awfully high. It's also often uproariously funny, with writer-creators Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim and executive producer Bob Odenkirk of "Mr. Show" fame crafting a divertingly twisted and wildly original mock cartoon that nearly defies conventional description. It feels like one of those Robert Smigel "Saturday Night Live" shorts gone nuts, with animation that would need to improve dramatically to be merely wretched. But that's a big part of the fun.

"Tom" is far less story-centered than concept-driven. It's about a clean-cut civic do-gooder named Tom Peters who moves to a backwater burg called Jefferton and comes loaded with what he sees as good ideas. The town's eccentric mayor endorses anything and everything, since he's several cards short of a deck. That forms the central plot, with Heidecker and Wareheim themselves supplying the primary voices.

But again, this is far more about the unprecedented style and bone-dry wit than anything substantive. The creators use still photographs of real actors (here including Jack Black, who also supplies a voice) and processes them with a computer filter. They're placed into various still poses and feature almost no movement of arms, legs or surrounding objects. If it sounds really really weird, well, it is. And it takes a bit of getting used to. Yet once you click into its visual and comedic rhythms, "Tom" is a deadpan, kitschy, retro delight that recalls the heady early days of "South Park" in its novelty and imagination.

Be on alert, however: The show is only 11 minutes long each week. So don't plan your night around it or anything.

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan on 2004-11-07 19:08 ]

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan on 2004-11-11 12:26 ]

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan on 2004-11-11 12:26 ]

Curse you! The Cartoon Network Adult Swim has taken over my nights when I really should be playing video games.

right on johnnievelour! well, I hope this show keeps that tradition alive!

F

Hilarious stuff! I can't wait to see it. Cool look on the characters -- Photoshop I presume?

-FB

Thanks a lot FreakBear! You are correct....the characters are photos manipulated in photoshop......the backgrounds are hand drawn and painted in photoshop as well.

I've been wondering, how does one get into the world of cartoon voices (as a profession)? People are always complementing me on my humorous character/animal voices and often suggest i do voices for cartoons. I've kicked around the idea of DIY'ing my own animated series or feature but can't seem to find the software available. Any suggestions?
-FB

FB- I don't find you that funny myself. :P
Of course, asside from bring inflicted with a lack of the cool tiki culture, us Central Ohioians arent known for our sense of humor.

Pagan, Congrats on the premire! I look forward to seeing it. Although we had better see a tiki or two snuk in there for good measure!

thanks the75stingray for the encouragement! We just wrapped up our fourth episode and are jumping right into five! I have been able to place a tiki into a couple of backgrounds, but only when appropriate! This town is more about mini malls and buffets in a very dry monty python/mr. show kinda way! I love it! As far as getting voice work...well, that's a funny tricky one...in order to do voice work you have to join a union but you can't join the union unless you've done voice work! huh? it's crazy and frustrating! but, carry on with your dreams is what I always sez! Thanks again for the words!

F

Not a surprise about that whole union thing. Oh well!

Has Adultswim featured any of the promos?

BTW:
I started my day by checking out your website. I now have that awful Starship song in my head as well as an odd desire for sugar and beef. :lol:

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2004-11-08 08:04 ]

well, I must admit that I'm a little confused about the Starship, sugar, and beef comment! haha! are you sure you visited MY website? Starship makes me want to go plunge knitting needles deep into my ears!

F

On 2004-11-08 19:02, suburbanpagan wrote:
well, I must admit that I'm a little confused about the Starship, sugar, and beef comment! haha! are you sure you visited MY website? Starship makes me want to go plunge knitting needles deep into my ears!

My appologies! I posted early this morning after much coffee and no breakfast. I was refering to the additional movies on http://www.timanderic.com/movies/index.html -- specifically "Action Warriors" and "GatorMan Attacks".
-FB

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2004-11-08 21:36 ]

fantastic! They'll love to hear that! It's a blast working with these cats!

I LOVE this show. Tim and Eric have made a name for themselves doing all the things that I've been trying to do for years, but have failed! :)

Pages: 1 12 replies