Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Poof...where'd it go?

Pages: 1 20 replies

I bet you're right. That's my Holy Grail though I'd prefer red. I figured it would go for ugly money anyway and I wasn't really thinking about bidding...bet the seller lost out pulling the auction. Come on fess up, who got it and how much?

I was wondering the same thing this morning. I checked on it and it mysteriously ended. This seems to be happening quite a bit lately. Integrity check, who has it?

K

Someone probably got to the seller and made a HUGE offer to take it down. The last red one I saw went for around $500.00.

Was that a red pearl or Red regular t3s?

Did you notice the two rare Tiki Bob (the ones with the tongues sticking out) auctions ended too. What the hell is going on?

K

Was that a red pearl or Red regular t3s?

What is the difference and how can you tell?

HT

No, it was cinnamon. And you can tell because one is small, the other is huge. One has a cinnamon finish, and the other has a flame red finish. Aloha!

Oh yah, and it says it on the bottom.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2004-10-31 16:12 ]

Atomicchick for the record there was a great cinnimon one on ebay about around three weeks ago that I was outbid on by a one or 2 feedback person. It went up to 300 my max(I had extra cash, ie. tips) and they did 300.50 or some such amount. The original seller said the lady's husband had a heart attack and couldn't afford it. They relisted with a 275 opener. I wished them well because the week after I could only do 200.00 and the 75 was over my max earning capability as a lowly valet. Offered it to me for 200 a week later and I got it. Perhaps shady, but it worked out for me. Now for the ren clark or other poli-tiki mugs(-fdr).

Mike,

That's not what I consider shadey, if they offered it to you, you are super lucky! Ebay does have that feature if the highest bidder flakes out, you can offer it to any of the other bidders and you will be able to still leave feedback. I have used it before when I sold stuff and the highest bidder didn't pay.

J
JTD posted on Mon, Nov 1, 2004 5:11 AM

Atomicchick,
eBay's second chance feature is useful. What bugs me about it is that when I was re-offered an item, it was at the price as driven up by the person who bailed, NOT the price I would have originally won the item for. I know I bid up to $XXX, but this system makes it too easy for a fake bidder to drive up the price and allow the seller to extract more than they would normally. It may not be "shady", but it sure does invite it.

JTD

T

On 2004-10-30 12:57, Atomicchick wrote:
I was wondering the same thing this morning. I checked on it and it mysteriously ended. This seems to be happening quite a bit lately. Integrity check, who has it?

I know for a fact that Kohalacharms/Maxifac does this regularly. He might be the culprit in this case too.

So, what I've been doing is, as soon as I see a rare item, emailing the seller and telling them how interested I am in the item and how rare it is, and not to take any emailed offers, as they will get more money from last minute bidders. It seems to work every time.

-and I know Kohalacharms lurks on this board all the time and is probably reading this, but I think if we all pull together and email sellers of rare items, they would let the auction run and not take offers!

K
Kono posted on Mon, Nov 1, 2004 6:11 PM

On 2004-11-01 12:08, TikiHula wrote:
-and I know Kohalacharms lurks on this board all the time and is probably reading this, but I think if we all pull together and email sellers of rare items, they would let the auction run and not take offers!

Also it might not be a bad idea to refrain from posting items here unless you're the seller and want to get some good $$. You probably think you're sharing with the TC ohana but a lot of people lurk here. I went to a TC event here in Orlando and probably 2/3 of the people that showed up (it was ONLY posted here on TC) were people who don't post here. I thought that was weird.

Most of the ebay tiki high rollers probably scan these forums for a heads up on cool auctions. Whenever I see an auction posted here I pretty much write it off for me. A high roller or drunk TCer's gonna win it, I figure.

[ Edited by: Kono on 2004-11-18 04:57 ]

Mike,

Was your Cinnamon War God marked T3 or T3S? Did it have a "Club Trade Winds" or "Cultured Pearl" marked on the underside? Just curious. I've got the giant T3 in cinammon from Club Trade Winds and a smaller Prairie Green T3S from their standard line. I wonder if the one pictured in the auction from the Cultured Pearl is giant-sized as well. I looks to be Desert Gold.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-11-02 12:21 ]

B

It's amazing how frequently this is happening and how many low-lifes there are. I don't know who is the bigger scum-bag, the person who makes the seller an offer to end the auction, or the seller who accepts the offer. It's against ebay rules, and not just because ebay does not get their commission of the sale, but because it's unfair and unethical. If you want an item on ebay, BID! There is some real negative Tiki karma comin' to these sleazy collectors.
Here is another:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3939044094

A

Should people on TC have private auctions? You could post on here, have people email you, then add them onto your EBAY private auction. I know I'm getting ready to sell my Munktiki King Tubby #73/100. I would never end an auction early, but to make sure someone on TC gets it I would make it a private auction.

[ Edited by: aquaorama on 2004-11-03 13:01 ]

J
JTD posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2004 5:02 PM

Are there any tikiquest mugs left, and if so how or when are there events that one can be obtained?

B

JTD, I saw that new listing after I got this email from the seller: "Hello..
I'am sorry..I was offered for someone to purchase them..but after receiving your email I realized that there were things to consider..
I did not follow thru with the offer..and have relisted the tiki mugs..
To be honest with you I did not think that they really would have been an item of interest..and I do apologize..
I hope that you will decide to bid again..If not I understand..
Thank you... "

I had written them and told them what I thought of their ending the auction and CANCELING our bid (We always look for Kona Kai stuff since we were married there). I guess we should all let sellers know what we think (or even report them to ebay since it's a violation of their rules), maybe it will make some sellers think twice when they get those offers to end their auctions and sell outside ebay.

Mike t. H., regarding the Tiki Quest mugs, we have just a handful left and since we don't have any more signings or events lined up for the near future, we though we'd just run them on ebay. Seems like the only fair way to offer them where everyone can have a chance.

Check out Tiki Quest at http://www.pegboardchicago.com/TCintro.html
Tiki Central members get a discount and a special premium!

[ Edited by: boutiki on 2004-11-03 22:08 ]

T

I often get offers from buyers who want me to end my auctions early - all that tells me is that my item is in high demand! I always say no (in the nicest possible way).

Ditto.

A private offer from an Ebay bidder sends warm tingles up and down my spine. It means I've got a rare item on my hands. I decline the offer politely, saying that I have a standard policy of never ending an auction early, as it often upsets other Ebay bidders.

I've never had an item close for LESS than what the bidder offered me offline. It usually closes for twice the offer or more.

Sabu

Pages: 1 20 replies