Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Haleakala Distillers ~ new Maui Rum?

Pages: 1 6 replies

anyone tried this rum yet? Haleaka Rum
looks like its only available on Maui right now ~ i read about it on eGullet Rum Forum

elicia

M

My wonderful mother-in-law just presented me with a bottle of Maui Dark Rum by Haleakala Distillers. She found it at Foodland after asking many Maui bartenders where to find it. Apparently, hardly anyone has heard of it even though it is locally made. I'll crack into it tonight!

D

we got 2 sets of the rums.. Braddah Kimo's Mo' Bettah Gold Rum, Silver Rum, Da' Bomb Extreme Rum and MAUI Dark Rum ~ they're available widely on Maui and on the North Shore of Oahu (mostly at Longs' Drugs).

i'm not a drinker, but i know the reaction to the Gold as a sipping rum was a resounding "oh, maybe its better mixed" ~ its very floral...

let us know what you think ...

K
Kono posted on Sat, Apr 8, 2006 5:04 PM

That Braddah Kimo guy joined TC but received one of the harshest receptions (read: double barrel shotgun blast of TC indignancy right in his face for spamming) I've ever seen here. Unfortunate.

M

The Maui Dark has a taste which I think has a scotch quality to it. There is a Brazilian rum, Batuque (superior Cachaca) that I've tried that is like this, but more intense. No one around here has taken to either one so far. I recall the Brazilian rum came with a recipe where you muddle limes and sugar into a paste and add rum to the mixture and drink it over ice. That wasn't too bad actually.

Just back from Maui! What a trip. Everybody is raving about the local rums these days. Seems Haleakala Distillers has won four medals in three years for a number of rums introduced since these early posts. Maui Time Weekly just did a profile, and a local bartender tipped me off that one or two of their rums are to be served at the upcoming inauguration in Washington, DC. 1st Hawaiian born President, 1st time Hawaiian rums served in DC. Makes sense to me.

Anyway, I bought some but drank it all up in Mai Tai's we mixed ourselves in our condo. Better than the crap they were serving at Kimo's and Leilani's in Lahaina. Over ten bucks for a mai tai and these restaurants only use fake imported rum tasting like kerosene! Ours, made with real local Maui rums, were way better. Unfortunately, drank all we bought and nothing to bring home. Our local liquor store does not have it, but referred us to a website where we restocked http://www.mauirum.biz click on online store. If anyone is going to Maui, please bring some back. It is way cheaper locally. They say it is also retailed on Oahu and the Big Island, but I will have to wait til next year to find out.

The Maui Rums are really tasty. Their dark rum makes for nice sipping with ice and the gold is wonderful in cocktails. The overproof has won several awards and is surprisingly smooth. I'm not sure about availability, but you can probably get it on their website.

http://www.rumconnection.com
Daily News, Rum Reviews and Other Distractions

Pages: 1 6 replies