Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Lynde or Riley?

Pages: 1 18 replies

Ridin the idea of Johnnydollar's Munsters Vs Addams debate...which led me to tink of the Brady-Partridge Debate and eventually to the Titans of '70's mirth...Paul Lynde or Charles Nelson Riley...Who is funnier?

[ Edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-11-01 21:54 ]

Or gayer? :)

TC

can i make a write in vote for rip tayor?

paul lynde RULED game shows...

Rip Taylor...how could I have forgotten him, and I suppose Nipsey Russell should be mentioned as well.

It does seem as though that crowd stopped by the pharmacy before work most days.

They all were so frequently typecast as odd charachters...when I see re-runs on the game show network of them, they make me laugh...even if its just them sitting there in a pimp suit next to Bret Sommers.

Any amuzing memories of them?

Not that there's anything wrong with it ...

On 2004-11-02 07:19, Johnny Dollar wrote:
paul lynde RULED game shows...

And Charles Nelson Reilly ruled Lidsville!

--cindy (Shut up, Hat Band!)

On 2004-11-02 11:17, cynfulcynner wrote:

And Charles Nelson Reilly ruled Lidsville!

Paul Lynde: better guest appearences, better series, & a better sense of humor. But Charles Nelson Riley get's points for the Dead Milkmen writing a song about him.

T

Another write-in: Don Knotts!

H

I found out a few weeks ago that Don Knotts lives just a couple blocks down my street!

Z

It's a tie.
Mr. Center Square Lynde for making so many triple entendre jokes on Hollywood Squares, and wasn't he Uncle Arthur on "Bewitched"?

I had no opinion about Charles Nelson-Reilly, until I crossed paths with him in a grocery store parking lot in L.A. I did a quick double take, mistaking him for one of my neighbors who usually wore an ascot or neckerchief type arrangement (not that there's anything wrong with that) and realized it was Mr. Nelson-Reilly when he excitedly shouted at me across a row of cars, "Yes, it's MEEEE!" in a rather exasperated tone. Then he scoffed, as he jumped in his car.
Perils of L.A., getting taunted by Charles Nelson-Reilly when you innocently go to the market.

[ Edited by: ZebraTiki on 2004-11-02 17:32 ]

One of my favorite episodes of Gidget (with Sally Fields) is when she gets kidnapped by her best friend Larue because her dad suddenly decides to drive to Pasadena to buy Larue her first car. Larue's dad was played by Paul Lynde and his great fear is getting lost on the way and ending up in the "Vaaaallleeeyyy", which is exactly what happens.

I

I might give the edge to Paul Lynde, as he was the father of Ann-Margaret in the movie 'Bye-Bye Birdie' -- siring someone that beautiful, even if it was a fictional role, has got to count for something.

Paul Lynde also played the father role in the Broadway version of 'Bye-Bye Birdie' - Dick Van Dyke also starrred in both the stage and movie versions. When Dick Van Dyke took a week off to film the pilot version of the 'Dick Van Dyke' show, his understudy stepped into the main role - and that understudy was Charles Nelson Reilly, who had oyher small roles in the musical.

Another twist - when Van Dyke finally left the Broadway show for good, his role was taken over by Gene Rayburn - the future host of the Match Game. Nelson-Reilly was also the understudy for Rayburn too, and later became a regular guest on the Match Game.

everything's connected
Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev on 2004-11-02 19:01 ]

Another fop of the same era, Rex Reed, I have read was invited and intended on going to a party at a friends house. Last minute he changed his mind.

It turned out to be the party crashed by Charlie Manson...

[ Edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-11-02 22:23 ]

On 2004-11-02 22:20, Gigantalope wrote:
Another fop of the same era, Rex Reed, I have read was invited and intended on going to a party at a friends house. Last minute he changed his mind.

It turned out to be the party crashed by Charlie Manson...

[ Edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-11-02 22:23 ]

On reading this, a twisted comedy sketch idea came to mind:
A re-enactment of the tragic Tate/LaBianca situation featuring "the Family" as portrayed by Paul Lynde, C. Nelson Riley, Rip Taylor, etc.

I appologize in advance for my poor taste!
-FB

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.