Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Stuff we found....

Pages: 1 8 replies

We are just getting into doing some tiki trolling and have found just a couple of things. My g/f found a found a OMC mug that is kind of like the ones on page 105 of tikiquest with 3 faces.But the faces on this one are different and there is no markings for a specific resturante. I found a Orchids of Hawaii R-3 at a antique mall and a oldish tiki wall plaque with abilone eyes that I kinda dig a lot.
Is this stuff very common?
I'll post pics when I get around to buying a digital camera...I wanna show the progress we are making in starting a tiki apt from scratch. We are mixing both old and new stuff. I wonder if there are any tiki purests out there who would not be happy with that route?...

[The subject line was edited by: martiki on 2004-11-02 15:40]

[ Edited by: martiki on 2004-11-02 15:41 ]

Aloha!
Let me tell you, collect and display what YOU like! Some people like new, with a bit of old, some like old with a bit of new, and some like only one or the other! Collect what makes YOU happy! There will always be new and exciting things to uncover and discover, even if they are old and dusty! There is much more to collecting tiki than just the mugs, personally I love a bit of everything! :)
Have a great time collecting and making your home your favorite place to be!
Cheers,

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-11-02 14:52 ]

I agree with Tikiwahine, I once collected just mugs but now I see there is more to the tiki culture than that, its bounds are what you make it!! thanks for sharing your finds, it keeps the rest of us knowing that there is stuff out there. mahalo

TM

I agree, mix it up! I love and collect vintage stuff, but also have a lot of very cool new stuff.

Great advice from everyone!!! Collect things because you enjoy them and not because of what others think or the prospects of future value.

J

By collecting only vintage tiki items I guess I could be considered a "tiki purist." But, the main reason my collection took this direction was due to the fact that I didn't have the money to buy all the new mugs and decor that pop up on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong I love all the Munktiki Ebay mugs, the various Shag limited editions, numerous Tiki Farm small run collectibles, etc. but I'd have to get a second job to finance my collection. With vintage mugs I usually end up spending a decent amount of money but the mugs I want usually end up being few and far between...

N

Johntiki is right about collecting the new mugs, because thats all I collect and I am broke. Just buy what you like and try to keep to some type of budget. Hmmm maybe I need a budget.

F

In collecting, I definitely have a sense of what is "classic" whether old or new. But when it comes down to it, it's really just based on what i personally like. I have found myself going for some items just outside of this "classic" scope (with no regrets) -- it keeps collecting fun and interesting.

Hi there....Good advice all the way around. I'm for mixing both old and new stuff as long as I get the proper "vibe" off the respective pieces. I'm pretty sure there are gonna be a few off topic pieces that make it thru such as oriental. I'm kind of expanding my definition of all this to cover the whole pacific rim area. Except American Indian stuff...got that running out of my ears here in Texas.It sure would be easier on us if we could stomach the southWest theme that has taken root here.
I know what y'all mean about collecting what you want. I was into comics for a long time and more than once I jumped on the "get it for future value" train.
On a side note I did pick up a 8x10 print that's made of thatch and other assorted stuff that depicts a couple of huts on a moonlit lagoon...very cool. As well as a set of 4 handpainted real bamboo tumblers...also stuff I kinda dig.

Pages: 1 8 replies