Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Demarara Sugar

Pages: 1 12 replies

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Nov 2, 2004 4:04 PM

I had seen Turbanado sugar and Sugar in the Raw and others and like them much better. I figured they were essentially brown sugar, but was not sure. Now I see Demarara sugar at the market! I had to get it to use as the brown sugar for my drinks tonight, but is that right? It all makes a bit of sense. Demarara rum is made using Demarara sugar?

RB

Where did you find Demarara sugar?

RB

Did a little investi-vigating...Demerara sugar is actually from the island of Mauritius, off the southeastern coast of Africa, though it did originate in Guyana.
http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/prodview.asp?cat=&subcat=&prod=550&source=pepperjam&OVRAW=demerara%20sugar&OVKEY=demerara%20sugar&OVMTC=standard
I still am curious where to buy it. Found several places on-line, but wonder if you can buy it a "regular" brick-and-mortar store.

Z

Some Williams-Sonoma stores carry Demerara sugar.
If you have any fancy-schmancy "gourmet" shops near you, it's worthwhile to check those out, too.

P

Ralph's in SoCal has demerrara sugar in cubes. It's got a good flavor and I use it in some coffee drinks. Cafe au Lait New Orleans style (french roast with chicory) with demerarra sugar and bourbon is real nice.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Nov 2, 2004 8:55 PM

This was at Kroger (regular grocery store) where they also carry "Sugar in the Raw" and two types of Turbinado sugar now.

I much prefer sugar in the raw as it has a smoother taste. Less acidic and "chemical-ish" than white sugar. A "softer" sweet.

The Demarara smells just like normal brown sugar, though I did not taste it, just put it in the drink.

I checked the dictionary and Demarara is the principal river in Guyana.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Nov 2, 2004 9:50 PM

INFO 1
INFO2

Bottom line, Demerara and Turbinado are close with Demerara being less refined. And they make a liquid sugar from both which means, next time I make sugar syrup, I will try using one of these instead of white sugar.

Turbinado makes a great syrup! I highly recommend it!

RB

Thanks, Swanky. Kroger owns Fred Meyer stores up here in the NW, so I'll give that a try.

Rogers makes a great demerara brown sugar. It's available in Safeway, but because it's a Canadian brand it may not be available in the US. They pretty much have the monopoly up here.

http://www.rogerssugar.com/

Demerara sugar is difficult to get over there? Hmmmm. Over here it's at the back of every mother's cupboard. Never was too sure what it was used for, but it always came in handy when we'd run out of normal sugar.

What's the cocktail use?

Trader Woody

Heck, if anyone wants some I'd be willing to send a package over! It's readily available here.

I would think it would be fantastic in hot buttered rum.

I just noticed it in Ingles in waynesville for the first time last week, when I was looking for cubes for my absinth. At four and some change cost was an issue. That and I don't know how much difference there would be in taste for about $3.50 more.

Pages: 1 12 replies