Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Columbus, OH - you know you're a TCer when...

Pages: 1 5 replies

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2004 7:07 AM

All the last day or two I hear Columbus on the news, and every time, what comes to mind...

All together!

Kahiki!

Never been there, but all Columbus and even Ohio means to me is Kahiki.

This whole tiki thing, is it a bonafide culture? I mean, there are fans of cars for whom South Bend is the home of their car (points if you know which!). That small group is going to think of South Bend as one thing, and that is not Fighting Irish football. I guess it comes down to numbers. Mr Smogbreather could probably give us a good idea of our numbers as well as Hanford.

Hanford, what's the stats? How big are the faithful? Smoggy, how many on your mailing list? Hukilau's list is just over 800 strong. About 840. We had about 3-400 definite for Hukilau this year (before the storm. 140 rooms booked on Friday night, so 2 per room plus lots not in our hotel, etc.). Not bad.

I think we may be there.

And when you think of going to Hawaii, what do you think? See Gecko and try to see Martin Denny and absolutely get to La Mariana. The rest, eh...

S
SES posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2004 7:17 AM

I always think of the shooting at Kent State.

I just keep singing to myself, "I've got a rhyme that comes with a riddle. O-HI-O. What's round on the end, high in the middle? O-HI-O"

Trader Woody

On 2004-11-03 07:07, Swanky wrote:
I mean, there are fans of cars for whom South Bend is the home of their car (points if you know which!). That small group is going to think of South Bend as one thing, and that is not Fighting Irish football.

Studebaker!

My Grampa only bought Studebakers. All his life, when he needed a new car he'd buy the latest & greatest Studebaker with every extra. When they went out of business he bought a Chevy & died...

T

On 2004-11-03 09:42, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2004-11-03 07:07, Swanky wrote:
I mean, there are fans of cars for whom South Bend is the home of their car (points if you know which!). That small group is going to think of South Bend as one thing, and that is not Fighting Irish football.

Studebaker!

My Grampa only bought Studebakers. All his life, when he needed a new car he'd buy the latest & greatest Studebaker with every extra. When they went out of business he bought a Chevy & died...

Let's not forget about the venerable Avanti, made in South Bend (in the old Studebaker plant). If ever there was a car made that fit into the modern/ultra-lounge scene, it would have to be the Avanti!

Yes, Kahiki... but last night I thought of my fellow woodchipper Chisel Slinger and his lovely wahine at ground zero...

The Kahiki is gone, but tiki lives on in Ohio thanks to this talented individual... keep carving Jimmy!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-11-03 13:17 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies