Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Witco Question

Pages: 1 9 replies

JE

Hope I'm not breaking any rules by reposting -- I posted this in the Creating Tiki section a few days ago and got no response -- I was hoping someone who checks this forum would know:  

I've recently discovered the wonderful world of Witco. Some of my friends have some really great pieces and I was lucky enough to recently score a Witco (or at least Witco looking) guitar sculpture on ebay. I've been doing my own tiki carvings on palm logs for a few years now and want to take a stab at creating some stuff for my walls. Most of the Witco wall sculptures I've seen seem to be carved on the same type of wood -- it has a kind of ribbon/marbled look -- does anyone know what type of wood this is?

thanks,
Joe Emery

F

I believe it's redwood, and it may be slightly torched on finishing to enhance the grain.

Check out tikibosko.com. He's talks on Witco in an interview: http://www.tikibosko.com/press_tikinews.html
-FB

You should direct all Witco questions to TC's Keigs20. Try sending him a personal message.

-Z

It was so called swamp cedar from Washington, cheap because unfit for construction.

JE

Awesome - thanks. Not sure how easy swamp cedar would be to track down in Austin, TX but hopefully I can -- we have plenty of cedar down here. If anyone has suggestions on other stuff that I might get similar results with I'm all ears.

Joe Emery

A
aquarj posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2004 7:01 PM

Joe,
Were you in the Sir Finks? Great band! Anyway, welcome to TC.

-Randy

JE

Randy-
Yes, I was in the later incarnation of the Sir Finks. I'm not sure if anything I recorded w/ those guys ever saw the light of day, but a handful of former members have a new 60s garage band called the Ugly Beats. Our record will be out in Get Hip Records in a few weeks.

Mike and Jason from the Sir Finks are actually the ones who got me into tiki and both are much better carvers than I am.

Joe
[email protected]

A
aquarj posted on Thu, Nov 4, 2004 1:58 PM

Thanks for the update Joe - will be fun to hear the Ugly Beats. One of your fellow Austin-ites mentioned that name to me at the Rockaround, I think.

End of sidebar!

-Randy

On 2004-11-03 13:49, joe emery wrote:
Some of my friends have some really great pieces and I was lucky enough to recently score a Witco (or at least Witco looking) guitar

Hey Joe, Is it like this one?
chv

I am the 4th out of Six generation NorCal Humboldt County born & reared Back-Ack-Wards Wahine, currectly living by the Windy City.

[ Edited by: Tikimonger on 2004-11-04 17:01 ]

JE

Here's a pic of the piece I got:

Not sure if this is gonna work -- I tried to follow the Shutterfly instructions in the FAQ but I'm not getting the options it says you're supposed to get -- maybe because I'm on a Mac? If you can't view it drop me a note and I'll email you a photo.

Joe
[email protected]

Pages: 1 9 replies