Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Golden Zephyr mystery

Pages: 1 11 replies

T

In response to a very astute question by Humuhumu - why in God's name are the vehicles on the Golden Zephyr ride at Disney's California Adventure silver????

I have my sleuth-like elves investigating this matter, and hope to know the answer to this important mystery soon.

H

Yay! Tangaroa to the rescue!

I posed the question to Tangaroa, but I think it was Futura Girl who first brought it up when we were at DCA a few weekends ago.

It's been killing us!

T

My old boss at WDI said, "I WILL find this out!"

Tang - I suspect that they were going with their general "Golden State" theme for the park, ("Golden Dreams" movie, "Golden Vines" winery, etc), and didn't stop to think of the contradiction they were creating in this ride.

Then again, maybe I snuck into the park late at night two years ago and scraped off all $10,000 worth of that gold-leaf covering those zeppelins.

Sabu

T

You are probably right - but I want to see if we can get a quote from the Art Director explaining this severely important contradiction...

8T

That is indeed a mystery! It reminds me of the Yellow Freight trucking company whose trucks are actually....ORANGE! Now don't anyone start adding trucking comments because I am not wanting to hijack a thread.
Seriously !!!!!!!!!

*On 2004-11-04 15:44, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:*Then again, maybe I snuck into the park late at night two years ago and scraped off all $10,000 worth of that gold-leaf covering those zeppelins.

you forgot to add the...
muuah hah ha ha ha

humuhumu's right - the whole non-hub layout bugs me (it's blantantly anti-walt) - so the silver/golden snafu is just indicative of the whole wierd vibe to the park...

not that i didn't have a delightful time there with hh, of course. but who wouldn't have a delightful anywhere with hh.
but we just didn't feel the global levitation at DCA...

As opposed to the Magic Kingdom where it was in full force...

More on Global Levitation may be found on TikiFish's site...
http://www.tikifish.com/levitation.html

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2004-11-06 04:54 ]

I guess because these things are supposed to be zeppelins of some sort, and zeppelins are either silver or white but never gold?

And I guess it's the "golden" zephyr because of the "golden state" theme, but as to the contradiction between ride and name, that is something that would require a bit more thought and Disney is paying its "imagineers" by the hour?

Then again while were at it.
"If they call an orange, orange. Why don't they call a banana, yellow?"
~ George Carlin ~

when i read the title to this thread, it thought it was a hardy boys book...

T

OK - I'm having a tough time on this one. Still trying though....

On the topic of oranges, Harriett Beecher Stowe (sp?) was the owner of a small orange grove in Florida. She maneged the place mostly by her self. Unusual for a woman back then, but that did not bother folks much.

She also taught local negro kids to read in little school she had built...and that did.

Pages: 1 11 replies