Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The Incredibles: just awesome!

Pages: 1 23 replies

T

Its 3am, and I just got home from the public premier of The Incredibles at the El Capitan theater...

AWESOME!

This is the best Pixar feature to date! It is golden age comics meets James Bond meets Austin Powers... 50s/60s modern living, volcanoes, Tikis....

I must see again! and again!

Thank you for putting up with my brief moment of enthusiasm....!

H

HA! I was there, too! I'm sorry I missed you!

I had the BEST seats! I was right in the middle, six rows back.

It's SUCH a fun movie!

D

Just saw "The Incredibles"-absolutely wonderful!It really zipped along and was completely captivating.We hit an early show,and had great seats.Highly recommended!

T

"Incredible" doesn't do this movie justice. It's so dense and amazing it will certianly require at least a couple more viewings. Great, great movie!

In the "Art of The Incredibles" book, there's concept art for a tiki bar that was cut from the story early on. Appears to be when Bob and Frozone are hanging out, talking about the old days. The artwork is Shag-like, but better. It would have been amazing. Maybe I'll scan it and post when I get a chance.

I saw it last night and was blown away. I definitely think it's the best Pixar movie yet.

My only complaint is that I think Disney totally bungled the marketing of this film. This is not a movie like Nemo or Toy Story. It skews towards a slightly older target audience than those films. It is much more of an action-adventure than a family film.

And I think Bomb Voyage needed more screen time.

T

We saw it today. How about those Moai in the Bad Guys lair. I agree the movie was geared for a little older audience than the Toy Story/Nemo set.

S

My 6 year old son loved it, I didn't like like it at all (I guess I'm the only one)

AGREED it really wasn't a kids movie at all. 60% of the audience was under 8. Especially with the suicide reference!

The family home was COOL. I loved the interior and exterior.

GT

Aloha,

Took my seven year old for his birthday, and he loved it. Me too!

If anyone goes to see it, somehwere in the first few minutes is a newspaper headline that rotates - your eye is meant to be focused on the center of the page - but on the right hand side of the paper, near the edge of a picture is the word "penis" in one of the columns.

I didn't have time to read the sentence that contained it, but I wonder if it one of those old time secret jokes they put in animated films.

Well, anyway, let me know if you see it.

T

See the lost tiki bar scene artwork in the other Incredibles thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11643&forum=6&start=15&17

...AND, the locomotives in the railroad yard scene are fairly accurate mid-20th century diesel streamliners. Loved the googie-like house too.

R

On 2004-11-06 16:55, hanford_lemoore wrote:
My only complaint is that I think Disney totally bungled the marketing of this film. This is not a movie like Nemo or Toy Story. It skews towards a slightly older target audience than those films. It is much more of an action-adventure than a family film.

Yes I agree! I had no idea what the film was about having not heard any of the buz this summer whilst overseas and went because I had nothing else to do that night. When I looked at the reviews, descriptions and trailer online it gave me no CLUE of the great 50s-60s stylization it would have. What a surprised, it was simply brillant!

Was Nightmare Before Christmas' marketing similarly off-target when it was released? I don't remember.

It seems that Disney sometimes misses the target upon a film's release, catches on when zillions of adults with disposable income start buying the video, and then floods the market with collectibles.

Any bets as to how long it'll be before we see mondo-expensive moai/hideout snowglobes in Disney stores?

Just saw Incredibles for the second time ... that is just one amazing movie.

Geeky Tiki: The word in the newspaper is "pens", not "penis". Get your mind out of the margin :wink:

I took the whole family to see it two saturdays in a row. enjoyed thoroughly both times.

See if you can spot which parts of the bad guy lair are inspired by bond films. The informed bond fan will also pick up certain passages of music in the incredibles that are only slightly modified from bond scores.

most excellent.

I noticed Frozone was putting on Hai Karate cologne for his big date with Honey, near the end of the film.

the choices for the automobiles in this film were brilliant.

whoever was responsible for modelling the cars deserves mad props :) since they were mad props

A

Did anyone from the Bay Area notice that when Mr. Incredibile was driving in his car that all the streets were ones in Emeryville? (Hmmm...Sneaky Pixar people in Emeryville! )

Did anyone notice when they were flashing through the computer screens of superheroes killed by the robot, the first superhero's name was "Everbeer"?

On 2004-12-07 21:18, aquaorama wrote:
Did anyone from the Bay Area notice that when Mr. Incredibile was driving in his car that all the streets were ones in Emeryville?

Pixar did the same thing in "Monsters Inc." but the streets were in Richmond (home of their old headquarters).

T

On 2004-12-07 21:18, aquaorama wrote:
Did anyone from the Bay Area notice that when Mr. Incredibile was driving in his car that all the streets were ones in Emeryville? (Hmmm...Sneaky Pixar people in Emeryville! )

It even says on the police scanner, "Shootout with suspect heading north on San Pablo Avenue."

Funny thing is this is not far from actual happenings on San Pablo Ave.

M

On 2005-01-24 12:07, Monkeyman wrote:

Sure he looks friendly enough there, Mr. Familyman and all that, but I've seen the other side:

M

In fact...

Wait a minute...

that's not Mr. Incredible at all!

It's...it's...Syndrome!!!!

Martiki,

Damn, I was laughing out loud in my office and folks outside were wondering what the heck was so funny.

That modified photo is hilarious.

I am SYNDROME, no longer "Buddy" the sidekick to Mr. Incredible.

Pages: 1 23 replies