Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Super BBQ island in progress

Pages: 1 24 replies

D

Some pics of the BBQ island I am building.Will be covered in slate and all the stainless goodies from BBQ'S Galore.Palapa,bamboo,and tiki accents to complete!I will post more pics when done.The next project is the Tiki Bar/game room.

[ Edited by: dmilkman on 2004-11-06 01:09 ]

Wow! I cant wait to see the finished product.

[ Edited by: Peterdragon on 2004-11-06 06:59 ]

D

Dmilkman-I am DROOLING! I love stainless-my husband is an executive chef and I'm a kitchen manager,so stainless is right up our alley! I can't wait to see it finished-beautiful so far!

All I have to say is ... wow. Are you working from plans, or just sort of making it up as you go along? What kind of weld are you using? What made you decide to go this way instead of wood?

Beautiful work.

L

Good Question, Milkman!

Did you buy plans?
Draw your own?
Are you just Free forming it as you go?

Are you placing your vertical poles into buckets of sand, other? They are not concreted into the ground?

Looks incredible!

[ Edited by: Lorenzo on 2004-11-06 09:23 ]

8T

DAMN! you sure you aren't an upcoming episode of "Monster House" ???

D

Thanks for the replies.I kinda drew a picture of what I wanted and went from there.I just bought a bunch of 10 foot lenths of 25 gauge galvanized steel channel and studs.They are all screwed together with 1/2" zinc pan head sheet metal screws.The poles are in 5 gallon buckets with 5 minute pole set mortar,then screwed into the frame on the gound and up to the top.I researched building one of these for a while on the internet,books and looked inside the ones they sell at BBQ's Galore and Lowes.
It was much easier using steel rather than wood.Especially on the angles.Tin snips,a chop saw,a magnetic level,and a screw gun.Plus my labor.I saved a ton of $$ by doing it all myself.
I hooked up 4 different electrical boxes,a stainless water line for the mister system around the perimiter of the Palapa,wired for a TV and DVD AM/FM home theater system with 4 flush mount Sony 6x9's.
More pics as soon as it's done!!
Thanks again for all the replies!

[ Edited by: dmilkman on 2004-11-06 19:24 ]

D

Here are some of the other pics.It was alot of work,but it was worth it!

Holy Canole!

So like, your place for burgers tonight?

S

That is pretty dang sweet.

If I showed my husband these pics, he'd leave me for you.

D

Thanks for the replies!

Sweet! I live in Laguna Hills, my tikitots go to La Paz and I think I've passed yer house! Hope nothin slid down the hill! We made an island very similar with the steel and all. Saw it on Lowes.com for a portable one and tweaked it. We went to Bamboo Ben's, Oceanic Arts, Franks Supply and Tikiland to get thatch, matting, poles, etc... Is that corrugated tin on top? Does it keep it watertight? Hope so, with all this RAIN!!! Stay dry dude!

D

On 2005-03-01 18:18, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
Sweet! I live in Laguna Hills, my tikitots go to La Paz and I think I've passed yer house! Hope nothin slid down the hill! We made an island very similar with the steel and all. Saw it on Lowes.com for a portable one and tweaked it. We went to Bamboo Ben's, Oceanic Arts, Franks Supply and Tikiland to get thatch, matting, poles, etc... Is that corrugated tin on top? Does it keep it watertight? Hope so, with all this RAIN!!! Stay dry dude!

Thanks,
my house backs to Jeronimo,4 houses from Jeronimo/Montilla.We moved from Laguna Hills 2 years ago.Post some pics of your island soon!The corrugated tin worked great.Not one leak during these storms.
Take it easy.

That's an awesome set-up bro. I'm working on a much more humble BBQ to compilment my new patio cover. I wish I could throw up a rain proof cover too, but it would darken the inside of the house too much since the cover is attached. I'm in Trabuco Canyon so it would probably fly away with the serious winds we can get.

Hey ElDiablo- I grew up a couple canyons over in Silverado. The winds used to pick up the horse stall coverings and move them a couple a feet! Didja grow up there in Trabuco? We used to hang at Senior Licos. My Mom finally moved out-she's next door to Rancho Las Lomas. Honk when you drive by!

On 2005-03-03 20:25, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
Hey ElDiablo- I grew up a couple canyons over in Silverado. The winds used to pick up the horse stall coverings and move them a couple a feet! Didja grow up there in Trabuco? We used to hang at Senior Licos. My Mom finally moved out-she's next door to Rancho Las Lomas. Honk when you drive by!

We've lived in Trabuco for a couple of years now before that we were in RSM. I take Santiago Canyon to work everyday...the best commute in the world!!! I actually used to hang out at Cook's Cr YEARS back when it was a real bar & not Yuppie/Mountian Bike central. Back then you did not see a whole lot of Latinos in there.

Back when it was REEELY scary? Now the Harley dudes are Doctors and their beeotches on a Sunday drive. We still walk down once a week for a burger-when the cupboards are bare. (My family has a home business we run there-My Mom's house, not Cooks!) I have always dreamed of getting MY hands on it and turning it tiki! Wouldn't that blow the biker's minds! Then it would be way quiter around here. No Harleys! We had my sister's wedding next door at Rancho Las Lomas on a Saturday and the Harley parade was deafening! Hope everyone's doing OK with all this super neat-o fun happy rain! Trabuco creek loves it. Yo Milk- don't slip slide away down those hills there in MV!

M

My eyes are welling up with tears... That's one HELL of a BBQ!

On 2005-03-04 14:03, MachTiki wrote:
My eyes are welling up with tears... That's one HELL of a BBQ!

Thanks a lot!

On 2005-03-04 13:42, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
Yo Milk- don't slip slide away down those hills there in MV!

Luckily,I don't live in that part.I feel bad for those families.

P
pcwik posted on Thu, Mar 17, 2005 9:37 AM

What did you use on the outside Sides? Was it sheet metal and then textured?

On 2005-03-17 09:37, pcwik wrote:
What did you use on the outside Sides? Was it sheet metal and then textured?

The whole thing is covered in Hardiebacker board.1/4 inch on the sides and 1/2 inch on all of the top.Rapidset mortar mix was used for the stucco on the sides,and applied direcly to the Hardibacker board.It worked great.I had to use the Rapidset additives to keep it usable for longer.

That's some beautiful work there!!

"PapeToaWahine" and I are doing "The Big Remodel" this year. We're adding on 1400+ s.f. to the main house (Tiki Bar central to the project, needless to say!) and will cut deeply into the current rear yard. No room for a project as grand as yours... I guess we'll just have to drive down from Pasadena and help you break yours in!!

Our house is stout, built in 1927, and can handle the stress of this major project. Hopefully the marriage is, as well!! :D

D

That's some beautiful work there!!

Thanks!!Good luck on the remodel!

Pages: 1 24 replies