Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Bailey's Antiques Honolulu

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

Anyone been here? Just saw a story about it on a local news channel. Looks like a tremendous collection of aloha wear and other Hawaiiana.

http://www.hawaiibid.com/baileysantiquesandalohashirtsinc/

S

Hey martiki,

It's been years, but yes, I have been there. They have an amazing collection of vintage aloha wear, but of course it will cost you for nice vintage shirt. It's just up the street from Kapiolani Park. One could walk there from that end of Waikiki Beach and stop for a plate lunch at the Rainbow Drive In.

Mmmmmm....plate lunch...

N

I lived in the apt building behind it in the early 90s and even back then when tikis could be found at most "antique shops" on Oahu under $10 you'd be lucky to get one under $40 there. I still kick myself for not grabbing the Trader Vics menu there back then for $25.
But if you have deep pockets or just want to gawk at the great shirts it's worth the trip.

K
Kono posted on Sun, Nov 7, 2004 5:22 PM

Is there also a place called "Barney's" on Kapahulu or is this the place I'm thinking of and I'm confused about the name?

D

we were there last november~ i cut n pasted from hawaii vacation tips

Bailey’s Antiques and Aloha Shirts, which is great fun to check out; they have the real article, shirts from the 1940s and 50s, at prices you probably won’t feel like paying (looking is free, anyway). We did get one of the modern reproduction shirts they also stock; there’s a variety of tiki mugs and other memorabilia offered as well.

we had great luck at the honolulu goodwills for shirts

Oh yeah, Baliey's has an incredible collection of vintage aloha shirts and other Hawaiiana. Their prices are really aimed at the Japanese collectors but they do have a great stock of vintage reproductions at good prices.
I can't remember the name of the gal that works there but she is very knowlegable and willing to spend some time chatting about some of the pieces they have. If you're in the area, do stop by. Then head up the street for Kaluha pig at Ono's!
Aloha,
:tiki:

K

I've beent here many times and if you are visiting, it's a great place to look..but it is overpriced. My suggestion: Check out the Goodwills & Salvation Army stores in Honolulu. Over the years , I've found plenty of vintage shirts, etc there.

M

Thanks. I was just curious after I saw it on this TV show yesterday. I'll have to check it out some time.

I'll be there in 5 1/2 weeks, so I'll make sure to check it out.

cheers

T

They have a huge stock because I doubt they sell many at those prices. Even the 60s and 70s cotton shirts cost $40-50. The 50s rayons start at $100 in shabby shape, and don't even ask about the 40s originals (unless you're a Rockefeller).

K

It's a great place to look, but I agree that the prices are way up there! I took these pictures back in 2000, and since then they haven't had the same quality of stock. The $2000 shirts are hanging from the ceiling, with the cheaper reproductions down within reach. But their shirts are better than any other place in Honolulu, with a bigger diversity of higher-end collectibles.

Here's a link for more photos:
http://www.mutantqueens.com/hawaii_2000.htm

Hey Hey Kids!

[ Edited by: Krustiki on 2004-11-08 19:33 ]

[ Edited by: Krustiki on 2004-11-08 22:47 ]

K
Kono posted on Tue, Nov 9, 2004 3:54 AM

Yeah, that's the place we went to. The prices are insane. The lady that worked there was really nice though. She told us that Nick Cage and "his people" came in and spent 30 grand. They had brand new KC of Hawaii mugs on sale for $28. Down the street the same mugs were going for $8.

S

Cool pix, Krusti!

You're taking me back, man!

Hi,
I work at Bailey's antiques =) We have the largest and best selection of hawaiian shirts $3.99-$5,000! If you have any questions just e-mail. That link you put up Hawaiibid.com is not part of our store. That was a company that came in and said they would set up a page for free.

Our store e-mail is: [email protected]
We buy, sell and trade

We just had Tiki magazine come in and they will be doing a small spot on us in their next issue =)

Pages: 1 13 replies