Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's on YOUR aloha shirt?

Pages: 1 13 replies

So...if iconography were like making a Mr Potato Head, you could put your 65.00 in a machine and pick your favorite images, and out would come your vulgar shirt.

What would yours have?

Example:

I like Rayon, I like vulgar warm colors that clash with cammo pants (like yello and pink) for a background...

And for images...I like sea planes, sail fish, (maybe a triggerfish)smokey black ocean liners, coctail glasses, and hibiscus.

And...I want a big pocket, and parrot proof metal buttons...maybe made from Fijian coins.

Make It so!

What's on your dream shirt?

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 8, 2004 4:57 AM

Hmm - tiki shirts.

assorted '50s style hawaiin pinups in coconut bikinis and grass skirts, assorted cocktails, on a black silk shirt. Tasteful and subtle

D

Lots of bright colors with flaming drinks in fun mugs-depictions of classic pupu items with the little flaming iron cauldron-volcanos and ocean scenes-plus a secret little pocket for a lipstick and a twenty dollar bill.

F

I like the classic 2 to 3 color prints that attempt to simulate a batik print. Mostly analogous color schemes with browns, golds, or reds. And there has to be some kind of stylized flower such as a hibiscus with vague tapa patterns in the background. Wide collarred heavy cotton "barkcloth" shirt.
FB

At the moment, my dream Aloha shirt would have long sleeves. I realize that a "winter Hawaiian shirt" is an oxymoron, but I don't like giving up my "wild shirts" just when I need them most - in a dreary Midwestern winter.

Palm trees growing on an impressionistic beach, giant red Hibiscus & white Plumeria flowers, with Monorail Orange wending it's way between them, all on a sea-blue background. 50/50 poly-cotton material, coconut buttons, matched pocket/sleeves/seams, size LT.

Oh yeah (smak self in head) the shirts gotta match up...Like Freelancefreddie mentions. Nothin is worse than a great shirt with the single flaw being the pattern not matching on a seam or pocket.

Well...genital warts may be worse, but next to that...you know

F

On 2004-11-08 13:26, tikijackalope wrote:
At the moment, my dream Aloha shirt would have long sleeves. I realize that a "winter Hawaiian shirt" is an oxymoron, but I don't like giving up my "wild shirts" just when I need them most - in a dreary Midwestern winter.

A thermal undershirt or long-sleeve tee is a great complement to many a Aloha Shirt. But never a turtleneck! Never, never, never!

I nearly forgot, Dr. Freelance. Coconut buttons can be all the difference between a good shirt a great shirt.

-FB

F

On 2004-11-08 14:06, Gigantalope wrote:
Oh yeah (smak self in head) the shirts gotta match up...Like Freelancefreddie mentions. Nothin is worse than a great shirt with the single flaw being the pattern not matching on a seam or pocket.

Well...genital warts may be worse, but next to that...you know

I think the giant animatronic crabs might be worse:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9491&forum=6&14

What's on YOUR aloha shirt? FOOD, its my curse i can never get food from my plate to my mouth without leaving some on my shirt.

GT

I actually found my dream shirt a few years ago. It's a Tori Richards with black background and bamboo leaf trim. The center image is of a bamboo tray with a Mai Tai on it.

I love it because it looks like it should be a waiter's shirt at the coolest Tiki bar I could imagine.

It's so perfect, in fact, that when I wear it many people walk up and try to order drinks.

Maybe I should head over to Ebay and buy an extra...

RB

My dream shirt: tropical drink recipes, printed upside down, so's I can just look down and mix one up! Maybe even a reversible shirt, so's when I'm done with one side, and I turn it inside out and start on a new round.
:drink:

Something bright and colourful, like this one

but with all my favorite tikis all over it. Moai, marquesan, tangaroa, ku, a PNG mask or two, you get the idea!

Maybe a tapa style with all the tikis hidden on it, that would be cool too. Definitely barkcloth, with coconut buttons.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-11-08 18:27 ]

Heres a bump. Geeky-I think that I have that shirt.It tis my favorite! The mai tai on my shirt is actually sitting on a tray-like table. Otherwise it's identical with what you described. It's so awesome that I can only wear it occasionally or my fellow freaks will think it's the only one I have. The reality is I have upwards of 75 almost as cool as the Tori Richards. I'll contact you next time I'm heading to your town Two of these shirts in "Frankies" would be hilarious.
Cheers

Pages: 1 13 replies