Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

"Alias" Tiki Central Names

Pages: 1 22 replies

Now that (more now than usual) some Tiki Centralites are getting another aka name, I look at new members with scrutiny.
I don’t think new members deserve this response, but it seems to come naturally now.
I get this feeling when I am welcoming a new member or whatever, that I may be betrayed in some way that if he or she, was an already an existing member.
Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to deal with it.

Addendum:
I am speaking about the new names that existing members do not let us know about.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-11-08 11:16 ]

I haven't used another name in a while.
It'll be a year this May. I only use revbambooben now. Mrs.B was on last night and someone was using Bamboo Ben on shout. I was sleeping at the time. Must have been someone from my fan/hate club. I know you all love me. Arrrr!!!

Good topic Unga. It'll be interesting to see who comes clean.

M

I was "trekkietikiguy" on the Yahoo Tiki Central. But that was YEARRRS ago. :)

a year or so ago when I was having e-mail delivery problems, I created HaoleGirl, but never posted under it, I don't think.

M

Once a MachTiki... Always a MachTiki.

M

On 2004-11-08 12:09, MachTiki wrote:
Once a MachTiki... Always a MachTiki.

Once a Mack Daddy Tiki, always a Mack Daddy Tiki!! Oh, I thought I was supposed to describe myself--please ignore my comment. Thank you! :)

did something specific happen Unga Bunga?

Bunga Unga
aka j$ :)

On 2004-11-08 12:30, wrote:
did something specific happen Unga Bunga?
Bunga Unga
aka j$ :)

No, nothing specific Dohnny Jollar.

D

If you ever see the username,"Chesty Larue",it might be my slutty alter ego,but she hasn't been around for many years,so probably not.

T

Well, if someone's first and only post is some sort of offensive (or defensive) rant about the state of TC or an attack on someone, then cleary, it's a special AKA. If someone's first post is "hi, I am new here and Tikis are really cool", then clearly they'tre legit. I see no confusion.

B

Well I used "Byteben" some time ago when my account seemed to be locked out so don't tell anyone what my other name is. I wouldn't want it getting out.

8T

I often look at the member list to see if anyone new has joined from my neck of the woods. Some times I think there are people just signing in to post something to sell but I don't know how you would know anyones intent until they posted. Am I right in thinking that Hanford can tell who is who by their computers signal or "thumbprint"?
I don't know the technical terms for that.
I do know that he has said before that we have had some bogus id's created. How can you tell for sure ???

B

I don't think we can, but you are right in that Hanford should be able to tell.
I'm not going to worry about itbecause if someone has another identity that they use to take advantage of others or to hide something, it will eventually all come out in the wash. I know I am not doing anything wrong and I don't think most others are as well. There is Always the proverbial "Bad Apple" in the barreland fortunately they are the ones that have to live with the stink.

F

This was actually one of my first thoughts of the day; noting that I had seen an anonomous post made here of that nature. It was harmless enough (the member stated the exact nature of the post) but certainly could turn into a ridiculous trend! It's a matter of character. If one chooses to act dishonestly, he/she should assume the risks.

Well, if someone's first and only post is some sort of offensive (or defensive) rant about the state of TC or an attack on someone, then cleary, it's a special AKA. If someone's first post is "hi, I am new here and Tikis are really cool", then clearly they'tre legit. I see no confusion.

Well put. Anyone who would go to the trouble of faking the whole 'hi I'm new... ' thing & creating a whole alter-ego just to be able to post without accountability should seriously re-examine their priorities.

I had two previous names but I never posted at the same time with any of them. It used to be months between posts & my reasons for switching were that I forgot my first username(the flaky artist strikes again) & then after I finally met some TCers I wanted to create a new identity that summed me up and differentiated me from my previous 'lurker' status. My other user name wasn't even tiki-related. I think I just used my last name or something.

Anyway, for anyone new to TC reading this, please don't let all this talk of alter egos & offensive or defensive rants scare you away. It is so easy to misunderstand someone's tone or misconstrue their personality when all you have to go by is their online persona. Which is why tiki events are so important! Then we meet each other face to face and realize that it is all just about mixing the perfect cocktail & dreaming about life in a tropical paradise. If you can make it out to any event I higly recommend them. Email or pm me if you want a full testimonial :)

I still feel new here because I don't post that often, but if I ever feel excluded it is only because I can tell there are a lot of great friends that post here and just don't know me very well yet. A warm and ongoing welcome to all the newbies. Don't worry, we know who you are!

Anyway, that's what I think Unga Bunga. Short and to the point (I think.) :)

UB

On 2004-11-08 13:30, tikibars wrote:

Ya, logically you would think that, but it has happened before. I believe just once, but that planted the seed for thought.

UB

On 2004-11-08 16:21, Travellin' Tiki wrote:
Anyway, for anyone new to TC reading this, please don't let all this talk of alter egos & offensive or defensive rants scare you away.
A warm and ongoing welcome to all the newbies. Don't worry, we know who you are!

Exactly, I should have mentioned this in my first post.
Thank you TT!

TM1

I have used some other names, and got in trouble for using one on particular, which I will never use again..will stick with Tiki Mick and Lucas Vigor, my band name from now one. Sorry if I ever pissed anyone off!

J

Ooops, wrong thread. I posted in this more appropriate Bilge thread instead...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14933&forum=13&start=45&57

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-07-10 20:17 ]

I still have the same name I always had from back in the yahoo days, even tho I don't particularly care for it. It was/is one of my original AOL names that I chose when I was kind of into the whole swing thing in the mid 90's. (the whole bigbadvoodoodaddy, squirrel nut zippers era)
At this point, I would rather not have 'tiki' in my username at all, it just seems a bit contrived now.
I keep it because that's who I've always been in this community, like it or not.

I noticed a fair amount of older members have changed their name, deleted ALL their old posts & re-invented themselves as someone 'new'. Some because of controversy that they caused or were involved in. Some didn't change their names at all, but deleted alot of their old posts, seemingly because it doesn't fit into where they are now. And finally, some deleted their older posts because they were jerks or shady about some subject or another. (a few still do it regularly)
I have been a jerk a few times in the past, but I don't delete my posts. I just try to own it & move forward. I'm sure there are a few people who don't necessarily like me, & vice-versa, but I think it shows more integrity to just embrace your past & not delete posts because you were goofy, rude, naive or whatever reason you have.
Just my opinion.

[ Edited by: bigbadtikidaddy 2011-07-10 20:46 ]

Funny you bring this up. I was just thinking about changing my handle. I get looks when I say "Hi I'm trailerpark!" I called myself Trailerpark Tiki because I thought it was funny at the time. But I don't think people get it. But I wouldn't portray myself as a different person. I would put out a disclaimer that I changed my name. I guess I'm just doomed to be Trailerpark Tiki forever now. ;0)

On 2011-07-11 20:15, Trailerpark Tiki wrote:
Funny you bring this up. I was just thinking about changing my handle. I get looks when I say "Hi I'm trailerpark!" I called myself Trailerpark Tiki because I thought it was funny at the time. But I don't think people get it. But I wouldn't portray myself as a different person. I would put out a disclaimer that I changed my name. I guess I'm just doomed to be Trailerpark Tiki forever now. ;0)

you may get looks when you say "hi I'm trailerpark", but I think it's a pretty cool handle. I'd keep it.
I feel like a complete & total dork every time I have to say "Hi I'm bigbadtikidaddy"...it's just awkward!

T

I feel the same way about my username, I picked it when I was really new to TC and it seemed clever at the time to put Tiki together with my name. Now I wish I could change it to be more subtle, but maybe best to leave it as it is.

Pages: 1 22 replies