Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

NEW Feature: sent PMs and PM read receipts

Pages: 1 19 replies

Hi all,

Just a quick note to let you know about some changes coming to PMs:

I am adding a "Sent Messages" view that will show you the PMs you've sent. It will also show you which ones have been read and which ones have not been.

NOTE: Your sent messages will only be kept until the receiver deletes them.

Look for it soon!

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-11-09 21:13 ]

Great idea hanford. I know that sometimes I forget if I've replied or not...so this will be a useful feature.
Thanks for taking care of us!

and I just learned that I can delete my old PM's. Guess I should read everything carefully...:)

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-11-08 21:02 ]

Great, thanks. Is there any way the PM notification can be made more noticeable?
I sometimes go for days before I, while changing forums, catch a tiny little blinking thing in the corner of my eye.

B

Excellent idea hanford. It will really make the PM's easier. could there also be an easier/faster way to delete them?

HUZZAH !!!!!!!!!

-Z

Well I could make the PM icon larger. When I designed it, I was trying to do a nice compromise bewtween Noticible and Annoying.

These are great additions Hanford.
The problem I have that every time I delete a PM, I have to relog-in every time to delete the next.
Is this a cookie problem I am having?
Thanks for the maintenance!

So, one thing that I still need to fix is this: NEVER Log in using the Personal messages link. There is something wrong with the login code for that page. If you log in using that link, weird things happen. However, when you log in using the "Login" link, you're fine.

Unfortunately I can't really understand the login code at all on this forum. It's baffling to me, and the authors didn't include any real comments of what's going on. So I don't know exactly how to fix it.

Hanford

So far I have found the PM feature to be extremely user-friendly as-is. The receipt system you speak of will definitely add to this. I like the simplicity of the current PM interface, will this change?

Also...

On 2004-11-09 06:31, bigbrotiki wrote:
Great, thanks. Is there any way the PM notification can be made more noticeable?
I sometimes go for days before I, while changing forums, catch a tiny little blinking thing in the corner of my eye.

Making the notification icon more noticeable could be as simple as changing its color (or adding an audio cue) rather than the size. This might preserve more real estate on the page.

-FB

On 2004-11-09 12:45, FreakBear wrote:
I like the simplicity of the current PM interface, will this change?

No, it's staying quite the same.

Making the notification icon more noticeable could be as simple as changing its color (or adding an audio cue) rather than the size.

Animation tends to be noticed by the human eye's peripheral vision more than color, which is why I added the flashing animation to the icon. There are some forums that put a much larger notification message at the top of the page, or even do a popup. I'll play around with some ideas when I get a chance.

~Hanford

Okay, I've posted the new code. Please let me know if you have problems or questions. .

Mahalo,

Hanford

D

heavy sigh..no one ever sends me personal messages. :cry:

Hanford, that new "Sent Messages" thing works great. I can now see all the PM's that I sent & forgot about. The funny thing is, it seems like no one deletes their PM's no matter how old they are!

Thanks for adding the new feature.

Aaron

D

Change is good. Right? Great new feature Hanford, question about stuff thats in the sent folder box. Does that mean they are all still in the people PM boxes I sent them too? There are PM's still there from 2002??? And we can't delete them? That may be a little annoying, I may be to obsessive/compulsive about my mail box I guess, I just like it clutter free darn it. This may just drive me nuts! Freakin' out a little here, It's ok, It's ok...no, I'm ok, I'm fine....a hang loose kinda guy once or twice told me...it's ok, relax, just breath! BREAAAATH!
Seriously, its a swell feature, thanks Hanford. :D

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-11-11 11:18 ]

yay. i'm happy now :D nice feature hanford! i like the blinkyness of the envelope. very festive.

Yeah, people don't delete their PMs. The way it works right now is those old PMs you're seeing are not copies of what you sent, but the actual PMs. That is why you can't delete them (yet).

We'll see what I come up with for round two!

~Hanford.

T

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 07:05 ]

TB

Love the new feature Handford! Okay people start deleting your old pms.

Love the new feature! It's very helpful.

Until I can add Mass Delete:

The quickest way to delete a lot of PMs right now is to:

1. Open up two browser windows side by side.

2. In ones of the windows, view your PMs and click "Collapse View", then DRAG the Delete link into the other browser window.

3. WAIT FOR THE NEW WINDOW TO CONFIRM THE DELETION.

4. Repeat.

5. Reload the main window from time to time to see what you've deleted.

~Hanford

Pages: 1 19 replies