Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Don't miss this like you did "Metrosexual"

Pages: 1 45 replies

Don't you hate not getting cool new jokes and expressions? (Like lamprey jokes?) Here's the UKs rager trend...

CHAV.

It's sort of white trash gangsta, and it seems to be everywhere.
http://www.chavscum.co.uk/
Don't miss the chance to drop it in conferance calls and see who squaks.

Have you used it? If so how?

I hear the term "bling bling" means money. Weird!

Bling Bling?
You mad-cap kids

So that means "bling bling" isn't a reference for Judy Garland fans to identify each other with a catchphrase?!
As in her song that goes, "Bling, bling, bling went the trolley."

Wasn't this the entire premise of the movie whiteboys.

White Boy(Z)

Titles that end in Z are as horrid as buisiness' that end in "solutions"

I digress...

The jokey part of this was that it's new there and has a TITLE.

Stuff people do is kooky...but naming it is a scream...dropping the name where it's not expected is friggin art mister.

"Party of two for felchqueen,your table is ready.. flechqueen, party of two"

Bling is ostentatious jewellery.

'OMG check his bling'

Someone mailed me 'Chav Top Trumps' the other day , but I think I've deleted it, Damn should have known they'd come in useful some day

you knows it! like goldie lookin chain!

hey, those of you in the know, how is this pronounced? like "CHAD" with a "V" of more like
"SHAVV?"

does this derive from another word?

i've always been fascinated by british slang...

cheers, j$

Chav as in Savv (savvy)

Not sure of the origins but I'll look into it

Bit long winded but here you go J$;

the word is from a much older underclass, the gypsies, many of whom have lived in that area (Chatham) for generations. Chav is almost certainly from the Romany word for a child, chavi, recorded from the middle of the nineteenth century. We know it was being used as a term of address to an adult man a little later in the century, but it hasn’t often been recorded in print since and its derivative chav is quite new to most people.
Other terms for the class also have Romany connections; another is charver, Romany for prostitute. Yet another is the deeply insulting pikey, presumably from the Kentish dialect term for gypsy that was borrowed from turnpike, so a person who travels the roads.
Did chavi die out, only to be reinvented recently? That seems hardly likely from the written and anecdotal evidence; what we’re seeing is a term that has been in active but inconspicuous use for the last 150 years suddenly bursting out into wider popular use in a new sense through circumstances we don’t fully understand.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-11-09 08:10 ]

Great sleuthing Kon-Hemsby...British Slang always amuzes me to (Like JohnnyDollar) I think most folks like slang from somplace else...mostly it's amuzing and fun.

One of the more amuzing I've heard in a while is calling a cadet policeman (Not on the force yet but riding along" a "HobbyBobby"

That's a new one on me.

aye, cheers kon-hemsby!

back before the internet i had to ask around or figure out by context the meaning of slang terms in monty python or other public broadcasting fare...

of course the internet is CHAV!

Sorry to disagree but Chav's use text messages not the Internet!

I've just in recent weeks found out (on this very website) some 1970s canadian slang's meanings.

I remember Cheech and Chong had some remark that was incomprehencible..."Holysnappinaresholes" it was....I just thought it was crazy talk...but now I know it's a newffie origin bit of coloquial blither.

Cheers to all of you who keep this going. (silly as it is)

I heard 'bouncebackability' this week. Not slang just a buzz work.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Nov 9, 2004 9:00 AM

"Bling" is actually a term from Harlem of the 20's. A lot of slang is recycled. But it has been my weird experience to hear "bling" in an old black and white movie. Very odd.

T

The full term is 'holy snarpin' arseholes, ducky!'

hahah I havent heard that in a while.

'Holy snarpin' arseholes, all de hoice in me moi-toi just up an went!'

what does 'teepee for my bunghole' mean?

and who is 'cornholio'?

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-11-09 09:12 ]

at the risk of this becoming a slang discussion thread, lots of what we perceive as hip-hop slang came out of 1930's/40's jazz and crime slang

this is the book to read re: straight from the fridge, dad

kon, you have beavis and butthead in uk? those two terms are from that.

Cheers J$, I just parted with some folding and ordered me a copy.

Yeah we got B&B but I don't know exactly what those terms mean.

beavis had a character wherein he called himself 'cornholio,' and pulled his shirt over his head. it was a rude parody of a third-world person, with the name sounding vaguely hispanic but the term "cornhole" means to "do it thru the back door," so to speak

'teepee for my bunghole' was cornholio's main mission in life. teepee = tp = toilet paper, bunghole i guess is pretty self-expanitory :)

M

Something I noticed on that chav .pdf: Can the UK folks help me to better understand "minging"? I've never been totally clear on it.

Cheers J$

Now I can call my boss a bunghole with a clear conscience.

Who's printing off Chav Top Trumps today?

I need MT for my cakehole

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-11-09 09:47 ]

On 2004-11-09 09:43, martiki wrote:
Something I noticed on that chav .pdf: Can the UK folks help me to better understand "minging"? I've never been totally clear on it.

Minging is something that smells really unpleasent, and it's use has been widened to include anything that's deeply unpleasant. It tends to be used by Kappa Slappers (somewhat self-explanatory) & Chavs.

Good call on the 'Straight from the Fridge Dad' book - a classic written by the ex-drummer from Gallon Drunk.

A vast amount of new British slang arrives via Viz comic: http://www.viz.co.uk/
Try searching out their 'Roger's Profanisaurus' - the book of British obscenities. It describes minging thus:
"Ming v. Scot. To emit a foul smell, to hum. 'Hoots mon, it's minging in here'."
"Ming the Merciless n. an exceptionally foul smelling fart"

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2004-11-09 10:05 ]

And when applied to the female directly
'What a minger!' (spoken with a nasal drawl)

Great, great thread. You guys really got me giggling my arse off this morning...there's a bunch of old ladies not 10 feet away learning how to quilt, and I all I want to yell is: "teepee for my bunghole!"

On 2004-11-09 08:34, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Sorry to disagree but Chav's use text messages not the Internet!

I received my first text message last night. My husband is attending a military leadership training course(think basic training from hell) and has to keep deadly quiet in his room at night, so the sweetie sent me a nice message on my phone. Finally a legitimate use for stupid text messaging!

.............I want Tiki for my Bunghole!

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-11-09 12:57 ]

On 2004-11-09 12:57, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
.............I want Tiki for my Bunghole!

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-11-09 12:57 ]

good way to end up with a 'minging' tiki... :)

!!DAMN!!!

NOW I know what I wish I'd been for Halloween!! It woulda been so EASY!!

(Ok, extremely obscure, but still! DAMN!!)

On 2004-11-09 15:37, Formikahini wrote:
NOW I know what I wish I'd been for Halloween!! It woulda been so EASY!!

Yeah, but everyone would just mistake you for Nick Rhodes. :lol:

Minge...(along with Gusset and Quim) it's a British slang term for vagina, and thus the phrase.

As for bad smells...it never stops with them. My fave is "Dame Judy" for a bad smell...which you should be able to figure out.

On 2004-11-09 18:39, Gigantalope wrote:
Minge...(along with Gusset and Quim) it's a British slang term for vagina, and thus the phrase.

Gusset is actually the part of a pair of panties that connects the front and back. It covers the minge.

The word that causes the greatest trans-Atlantic hilarity over here is 'fanny'. In North America this is the 'butt' while over here it's the 'beaver'. The Mountain Equipment Co-op of Vancouver were forced to change their catalogue when it was pointed out that their fannypack section was causing untold mirth on this side of the pond. Eg. "This fanny is big enough to carry a pair of binoculars, a small thermos and a packed lunch"

Trader Woody

LOL - Trader Woody
did you try and get in as many 'fanny, beaver, minge, butt' as possible in that post!

This is a Chav free zone

lemon curry - ? :D

Fannys and Beavers and Minge...oh my.

Being more blunt (as gigantalopes will) I find the frequent use of the "C" word in the UK most funny.

The first time I brought my prim little wife over, myfriend and his wife were using it (C word) constantly...in every way you can imagine.

I assumed my wife would be mad or upset, so tried to point out that is was quite a vulgar term where we live, and typically not yelled audably while merging in traffic or ordering food.

The woman said (with a pretty scots brogue) "If they denna like te be called a cunt, they shuldne act cuntish."
I laughed so hard I almost pee'd...it kinda broke the tension...and after being around two weeks of that, my wife now uses the word periodically herself...

Vulgar I admit, but a period of personal growth you understand.

[ Edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-11-10 08:17 ]

Not a word generally used in polite conversation. But it can be funny is the right context, especially as in your example.

I do beleive that it is very popular in Chav circles along with the expresion '..yeah but, no but..innit'

When you arrive at Heathrow airport, a great way to get on the good side of the taxi driver is to say, "Take me to Trader Vic's, you cockney c___".

(joke)

Peter Cook and Dudley Moore were the masters of the word. Here's a link to an mp3 file where the C-word is used profusely. It takes a while to kick in, and then in the words of the website "soon descends into the Dudley Moore sweary-cuntathon that is "This Bloke Come Up To Me"

http://stabbers.truth.posiweb.net/stabbers/audio/derek_and_clive/Peter_Cook_+_Derek_&_Clive_+_Worst_Job_He_Ever_Had_+_wwwDOTstabbersORG.mp3

Trader Woody
(Swearing is my hobby)

On 2004-11-10 05:44, Trader Woody wrote:
The word that causes the greatest trans-Atlantic hilarity over here is 'fanny'. In North America this is the 'butt' while over here it's the 'beaver'.

What's the deal with "bloody?" It seems to be a swear word in the UK but not in the US.

'kin hell, yanks discussing CHAVs and CUNTs what is the world comming too. We in scotland describe our identically dressed sheep people in the East coast as SCHEMIES (coz the live in council schemes) and in the west as NEDS (an acronym for Non-Educated Delinquents).

J

I can't believe this topic has been going on this long and no one has mentioned Cockney rhyming slang...now that's some wacky stuff!

I wanna get the chuffin' Gypsy Nell aahhht of 'ere, Crust of Bread over ter the Near and Far and Tiddley Win' a few Britney Spears!

[i]On 2004-11-10 11:23, cynfulcynner wrote: What's the deal with "bloody?" It seems to be a swear word in the UK but not in the US.
I believe it was once considered blasphemy. It refers to Christ's blood, thus it's refering to his death in vain (even more flippant, therefore, than referring to his name in vain).

Kiss kiss,
Nick Rhodes :wink:

[ Edited by: Formikahini on 2004-11-10 18:02 ]

'Bloody' is regarded as such a low octane swear word that it isn't really a swear word at all. It's the sort of thing that an old granny would use complaining about the price of meat at the butchers, so it's really not one that could cause offense.

My (mildy religious) grandmother came to visit us when we lived in the US and complained that we kept saying 'Jeez', which she took as being short for Jesus. I guess she was right? Who knows? I don't recall anyone else being upset about the use of the word.

Trader Woody

I accidentally discovered a swarm of American CHAVs today at the "Premiere" outlet mall, swarming all over the Burberry store like humongous, baggy-pants wearin'lemmings.

Pages: 1 45 replies