Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Hoity Holiday Party & Polynesian Dance performance (update=read)

Pages: 1 26 replies

L
laney posted on Tue, Nov 9, 2004 10:33 AM

We'll be getting together at Bahooka on Sat. Dec. 4th to celebrate the holiday season. We will also be heading to Cal Poly Pomona for a Polynesian style performance of "The Nut Cracker" performed by the "Polynesian Paradise Dancers"

We will be meeting at Bahooka @ 5:30 for dinner then heading over for the show at 7:30. Tickets can be purchased at the door for $15 adult and $12 child. The 20 min. drive looks like a straight shot on the 10 frwy.

I've never seen this show but am very excited about it.

Since it looks like a very small group. I haven't made reservations as of today. We could fit into a big booth right now, but if I get a few last minute joiners. I'm sure Bahooka can accomodate us.

If you need to map out anything;
Bahooka
4501 Rosemead Blvd. Rosemead, CA
Cal Poly Pomona
3801 W. Temple Ave.
She said the theatre is near Kellog/S. University Dr. and to Park in lot D
here's the # for info on the show (562)945-2599
I'm still bringin my gift even if it is just Trader Pup and me swaping.

There will also be a prize for best decorated gift.

I'd like EVERYONE who is comming to participate in the gift swap. Hopefully this will become a fun yearly tradition!
I'm setting the limit at $15-$20 value. With tiki or Hawaiian themed gifts preferred. I'm also a sucker for funny white elephants, (maybe that's just me) so if you find a good one wrap it up! I'd love to see home made gifts too! If you are really stumped for a gift, e-mail me. I have a few ideas.

again, here's the rules for the gift swap

Everyone brings a wrapped gift of a set value.
Everyone in the gift exchange draws a number.
Number 1 chooses a gift, opens it and shows it to everyone.
Number 2 can either steal the opened gift from #1, or choose a wrapped gift and open it.
If #2 steals, #1 chooses another package and opens it.
Number 3 can steal any opened gift, or open a package.

Basic rules:
Once a gift has been stolen 3 times, it's dead and can't be stolen again.
You can't take something right back from the person who stole it from you

I can't wait to see everyone at Bahooka! Any questions, please e-mail me. Thanks, Laney

[ Edited by: laney on 2004-11-29 12:30 ]

L
laney posted on Mon, Nov 15, 2004 9:32 AM

well, I just found out they scheduled my Mom's surgery for Dec. 3rd. I was expecting they'd wait until after the holidays. They are expecting a 3+ day stay in the hospital. I'm ususally the one who stays at the hospital during surgery and talks to the doctor after. I also help care for my Dad while my Mom is unable to. So if all goes well I'll be super ready to take a break from the hospital and get to Bahooka for dinner. I hate to plan for the worst but if something goes wrong, I may not make it.

But....since I'm the ONLY one who said I'd be there...bah humbug. seriously please respond ASAP.

I am still working on my gift for the swap and some decorations/prizes you won't find anywhere else!

[ Edited by: laney on 2004-11-15 10:32 ]

We aren't sure if we can make it yet or not - but will definately RSVP as soon as we know!

Laney,
I won't be down there until the 19th through the 2nd.
Hope it goes well.

Laney, count me in!

TB

Utopiandreem & i are in.

M

Ahhhhhhhh.... Shucks!!!
I got tickets to the UCLA/USC game. I won't be able to make it.

Go Trojans!!!! Fight Fight Fight!!!

MTK

one week away... any final details?

:tiki:

L

posted changes to the plan in the first post. Please read and still respond if you are able to attend.

I'm really looking forward to the Polynesian styled Nutcracker....!!

DZ

Damn! - I know I'm late in RSVP-ing, but I was finally able to get out of my staff X-Mas party (kinda tough when you are the one putting it on, lemme tell ya...) and was all excited about going to Bahooka & doing the gift exchange. But now I see the change of plans and the new early dinner time, and unfortunately, there's no way DolphinTiki & I will be able to make it. (She works Saturdays until 5:30) :( "The Nutcracker" sounds great, but an evening at Bahooka was what I was lookin' forward to. Ah, well, maybe next year...

Would you believe I already had my ticket for "The Aumakua" and the times just weren't working out. Now that you have combined both events I will be able to make it to both. Its great that both events are near eachother, now let's see about the gift. Its hard enough to buy an elephant, let alone a white one!

KING KUKULELE

This message accidently posted twice so erased it.

[ Edited by: KING KUKULELE on 2004-11-29 19:15 ]

"The Coconutcracker"? I have been unable to find a website that gives a peek into what they have planned. Sounds like a cool way to freshen up that old story.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2004-11-30 07:53 ]

Count me in! I do have a question though -- when are we going to do the gift exchange? Dinner at 5:30 and then off to a show at 7:30 doesn't sound like there will be lots of time to do the exchange at Bahooka.

Also, regarding travel time, I think 20 minutes to get from Bahooka to Cal Poly Pomona is bit optimistic. There's usually a little congestion around the 10/605 no matter what day/time it is so I'd suggest alotting at least 30 mins + time for parking, etc...

Sounds like a fun time -- see you all on Saturday!

L
laney posted on Tue, Nov 30, 2004 4:25 PM

In order to save some time and hopefully keep us together,
I talked to them about pre-ordering tickets. They have a early afternoon show so I can pick up tickets in advance and bring them to Bahooka. She also said she would reserve seats for our group so we could all sit together! I just need to know how many
POST HOW MANY TICKETS YOU WANT ME TO BUY

they don't take credit cards so I'll be paying in cash (so no flaking allowed)

There has also been talk of drinks after the show. If some people carpool from Bahooka we certainly could come back for a bowl or two. So Dr. Z why don't you guys do the show and drinks after?
I hope we have time for everything! I'll definately be at Bahooka early so if you aren't opposed to early dining and cocktails meet me early!
I'll be calling tomorrow to let her know how many seats to reserve for us!!!!

Put me down for 2 tix, please.

Thanks!

T

Put us down for 2 tix Eeeeeeeeeeel......

TB

Utopiandreem & I will unfortunely have to miss this event due unforseen circumstances.

Sorry Laney.

Tbird.

I'll be flying solo so put me down for 1 ticket please. I'm going to show up at Bahooka a little early for drinks too -- maybe around 4:45-5:00.

F

Like MTK I will be watching the SC game. Not in person, though. Too stressful. Last week the Shillelagh, this week the Victory Bell.

H

Can't make it, I'm afraid--I'm going to be out of town. Happy holidays to my tiki 'ohana!

M

I'm sorry I'll miss the event. I had the perfect gift to swap... It's green, squishie and smells of cheese...

Have a great time & a wonderful holiday season.

Floratina... How's your trojan spirit?

MTK
:tiki:

[ Edited by: MTKahuna on 2004-12-01 19:32 ]

T

See y'all later today! :tiki:

T

Laney, thanks for setting up our little Hoity Toity gathering! I had a great time with our intimate group, and the rather unusual Polynesian version of the Nutcracker....

And the gift exchange was fun! I'm kinda glad the group was small, because there's no way in hell I'd get to keep the awesome resin lamp hand made by Laney! Not to mention the cool shrunken head prize for winning the best wrapped gift!

Here's some photos of the gift exchange:

Trader Pup picks the first gift, a cool lamp made by Laney!

Mrs. Tangaroa got this clear resin toilet seat....

.... that was promptly stolen by Laney...

So her next pick turned out to be a cool shell lamp

Tangaroa's choice revealed a Spongebob aquarium kit...

... that was then snatched up by Laney's son

... so to retaliate, he takes back the toilet seat!

Laney then got a copy of 'E Ticket' magazine, featuring history of 'Inner Space' attraction.

Honolulu Tommy got a cool Laney lamp!

Cory wins an 'E Ticket' magazine with Jungle cruise attraction history

Trader Pup with his gift wrapping prize of a shrunken head

Mahalo to all who attended for a great evening, and mele kalikimaka!

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2004-12-05 17:37 ]

T

Thanks for the photos Pup! It was fun meeting & hanging out with you guys...

Thanks again to Laney for putting together a fun night! Nicole reeeeeeeealy wants one of those lamps by the way..... Whattya say - any chance of making another one?

L
laney posted on Mon, Dec 6, 2004 11:10 AM

Thanks to everyone who attended! I had a blast, next year ya'll are invited to my house.

The show was amazing. Definately a family show, leaving Nick bored at times, until the fire dancers! The fire dancers were the best I've ever seen (even better than the luaus I've been to on the Hawaiian Islands) Clearly the guy won the showdown but seeing the woman fire dancer was (for lack of a better word) HOT!
After the show, Cory, Nick and I went back to Bahooka. We had two more bowls, Nick had hot chocolate and jello. A nice way to end the night.

Great pics Pup! I only have a couple pics, I'm not much of a picture taker and was sitting right across Trader Pup and Tom, both of whom got stuck with my home made lamps. Pup got the Shrunken Head Santa, for beautifully wrapping a toilet seat and tieing it with a tiki!

[ Edited by: laney on 2004-12-06 11:12 ]

Pages: 1 26 replies