Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

New Book - Lost in the Grooves

Pages: 1 1 replies

I

This week, there will be a new music book released. Titled 'Lost in the Grooves: Scram's Capricious Guide to the Music You Missed', it features short essays from over 50 contributors, who each give praise to some obscure or forgotten recording that deserves a much closer look. It will likely be a fun read for anybody who is into music or pop culture.
http://www.lostinthegrooves.com/

The editors of the book are Kim Cooper and David Smay, the same duo who co-edited the recent book 'Bubblegum Music is the Naked Truth.' These two are currently scheduled to be interviewed on NPR's 'Talk of the Nation' show this Thursday, sometime between 3 and 4 eastern, so those with a nearby radio may want to tune in.

I contributed two short essays to the book - and both have a tie-in to tiki

• 'Nino Rejna and his Hawaian Guitars' - an obscure low budget Italian recording (who predates I Belle de Waikiki by about 30 years)

• 'The Dream Lake Ukulule Band' - featuring the sounds and original compositions of 27 Floridian grade school students, all who happen to play the ukulele.

I will be one of several contributors taking part in a book reading this Thursday, November 11 (6:30pm) in New York City, at a place called the Housing Works (126 Crosby Street) This reading will be followed by a concert by two of the artists mentioned in the book - Brute Force, and Bridgit St. John. Any New Yorkers who wish to stop in by are welcome to stop and say Hi.

Good readings and listenings,
Vern

I

Well, the NPR interview mentioned in the previous message was cancelled, as somebody decided that the death of Arafat was more important than obscure records. But the interview has been rescheduled for this Wednesday afternoon (3 to 4 Eastern time) -- so if you find yourself listening to NPR then, please take notice - it will likely be a fun interview.

Also, there will be a free 'Lost in the Grooves' reading, in Los Angeles on Tuesday, Novemmber 30th -- about 12 contributors are currenty signed up to read from the book.

Where: Book Soup, 8818 Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood, CA
When: Tuesday, November 30th, 7:00 pm

thanks,
Vern

Pages: 1 1 replies