Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Cutting a Tiki Mug??

Pages: 1 13 replies

TM

Ok, I'm trying to cut a tiki mug in half. I've tried using a tile cutting bit on my dremmel, but 10 minutes into it I did the math and it will take me approx. 17 years to finish. Any ideas?

K
Kono posted on Wed, Nov 10, 2004 6:36 PM

Coincidentally, I'm trying to drill a hole in a tiki mug (Leilani folks, don't get upset) and am also having a real slow go of it. I've tried glass cutting drill bits, masonry and tile bits, carbon tungsten dremel bits and about everything else I have and have barely penetrated the surface. Why the hell are these things so easy to break yet so impossible to cut/drill through??

TM

On 2004-11-10 18:36, Kono wrote:
Coincidentally, I'm trying to drill a hole in a tiki mug (Leilani folks, don't get upset) and am also having a real slow go of it. I've tried glass cutting drill bits, masonry and tile bits, carbon tungsten dremel bits and about everything else I have and have barely penetrated the surface. Why the hell are these things so easy to break yet so impossible to cut/drill through??

Hey Kono - I am assuming you mean through the bottom of the mug (like for a lamp). I do this often. I start with a masonary drill bit. Once you get about an 1/8" through the glaze, use a nail setter and punch through. Then you can use your dremel tile bit to shape the hole.

H

Tiki Matt, try taking the mug to a high-end tile store... they'll have a monster wetsaw made specifically for ripping through ceramics neatly, quickly and cleanly, and they'll probably only charge you a small amount since it will only take them a moment.

TM

Great idea, muchos gracias Humuhumu.

Humuhumu's right, Matt. For a straight cut, I think the tile saw's the way to go.

So, whatcha gonna do with that half a mug, anyway? Trying to cut down on your alcohol consumption?

A-A

HT

On 2004-11-10 21:36, Aaron's Akua wrote:
Trying to cut down on your alcohol consumption?

A-A

Wow, I gotta give you credit on the intentional lameness of that joke. 9.5 out of 10, easy

B

He wants a Bottomless mug that won't get empty.

TM

On 2004-11-10 21:36, Aaron's Akua wrote:
Humuhumu's right, Matt. For a straight cut, I think the tile saw's the way to go.

So, whatcha gonna do with that half a mug, anyway? Trying to cut down on your alcohol consumption?

A-A

I've been tinkering in the garage, once (if) I get something finished, I'll post pics.
P.S. No chance of cutting down the alcohol intake!

TM,
I have a Suffering Bastard mug that was cut in half by SugarCaddyDaddy -- he used a Samurai Sword.

Read how he did it here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1401&forum=1&vpost=31664

K
Kono posted on Thu, Nov 11, 2004 6:32 PM

On 2004-11-10 18:47, Tiki Matt wrote:

Hey Kono - I am assuming you mean through the bottom of the mug (like for a lamp). I do this often. I start with a masonary drill bit. Once you get about an 1/8" through the glaze, use a nail setter and punch through. Then you can use your dremel tile bit to shape the hole.

Thanks Tiki Matt. Yeah I'm making a little lamp. You are exactly right, my masonry drill bit went about 1/8" through the glaze and would go no further. Whenever I make a lamp from glass or ceramic I know once I make a hole the dremel can then shape it as you say. I just couldn't get a damn hole on this tiki mug! I'll have to go get a nail setter tomorrow. Mahalo.

I have to ask I have a ceramic pineapple that doesn't have a hole in the lid and was wondering. Is this the way to get one in the lid? I have the dremel and the bit but have been afraid of a shattering situation, and don't like the idea of epoxing it back together like my omc skull mug had to be.

TM

On 2004-11-18 20:50, Mike the Headhunter wrote:
I have to ask I have a ceramic pineapple that doesn't have a hole in the lid and was wondering. Is this the way to get one in the lid? I have the dremel and the bit but have been afraid of a shattering situation, and don't like the idea of epoxing it back together like my omc skull mug had to be.

Very tricky. If you can't afford to break it, I wouldn't even try. I might know a place where you can get a fairly inexpensive Pineapple Mug with a hole in the top. Hmmmm.......

This afternoon I got my diamond bit(the tiny ball shaped one) for my dremel and started drilling the pineapple. I took some advice, I read around this section and pressed into it slowly. The bit went thru it very easily but I still went slow for safety. The bit went on thru the other side with ease. I used the long diamond bit to shape it out to straw size and will most likely get either epoxy or nail polish to seal up around the hole. This worked for me, but I can't say if it would work on any other ceramics. I might try it on a leilani, but I doubt I need a mug necklace just yet.

Pages: 1 13 replies