Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki trip out to California- need some advice on where to go...

Pages: 1 9 replies

So back in August 2003 at Exotica in Chicago, I was the one who won that grand prize drawing for 3 free nights at the Caliente Tropics hotel in Palm Springs. So now I am using that up and doing a week long Tiki trip in California hitting whatever I can find. I will be flying out of Chicago this Sunday. So now I call on you to give me any advice on where to go. I have only been to California once and was up in San Fran to see the Tonga Room, but now I am going to Palm Springs for 3 days and then staying with a friend in Hollywood for the next 4 days. Locations I have already planned on are: Tiki Ti, Bali Hai, Tiki Farm (I am going to miss the 2 Farm events by just a day, damn- hopefully Holden will have a few treasures left over), and Trader Vics. I have a copy of JT's Tiki Road Trip that I still have to reread again under the California chapter. I also am planning on going out to M Modern Gallery to the opening night of the group show "Tribute to the Rat Pack" on the 20th, my last day in Cali. Unfortunately I have a lot of people to visit out there so I can't do tiki 24/7 but I am going to fit in as much as I can. I won't be at my computer a lot in the next few days before I leave but I will try to check my email, pm's, and this post when I can. Thanks for all your help and maybe I will see ya out there! Mahalo

tiki junkman

H

Hi tiki junkman! While in the Los Angeles area, in addition to your listed itinerary, I'd vote for a visit to either Sam's Seafood or Bahooka's.

[i]On 2004-11-11 20:54, tiki junkman wrote:
So back in August 2003 at Exotica in Chicago, I was the one who won that grand prize drawing for 3 free nights at the Caliente Tropics hotel in Palm Springs. So now I am using that up and doing a week long Tiki trip in California hitting whatever I can find. . . .

Congratulations, Tiki junkman.

This link regarding California tiki may (or may not) be of assistance:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10672&forum=1

Bahooka will be almost on your way from Palm Springs to Hollywood. If travelling west on I-10 (this is the highway that connects Hollywood and Palm Springs) exit at Rosemead Blvd and go north (right) on Rosemead. Bahooka is on Rosemead Blvd at Lower Azusa Rd. There are several Tiki apt. buildings in the area as well.

There is also Trader Vic's in Beverly Hills right where Wilshire and Santa Monica cross. These are closer to Hollywood. And in Hollywood is the Lava Lounge on La Brea near Sunset. A little more out of your way are Damon's Steak House in Glendale and Sam's Seafood in Sunset Beach. If flying into LAX, the Purple Orchid is nearby in El Segundo.

In San Diego there is also Mister Tiki downtown in the Gaslamp. It is on 5th near the Convention Center, and the Cannibal Bar at the Catamaran Hotel in Mission Bay, although that is not so tiki as the others.

You probably won't have time to fit all that in, and if you do you'll be pretty tiki'd out by the time you're done.

also check out the royal hawaiian the lapu lapus are great, then stop by bamboo bens place....great store, great company, is wes house of tiki still open?...if so , go there too!!!....but dont miss any of the others mentioned:
sams
bahooka
trader vics
tiki ti
bali hai
......all musts......have fun, we did that trip last year, and it was an absolute blast.......

I was just out in LA and Palm Springs.

While in Palm Springs you must go to Joshua Tree, trust me it was amazing. Don't go in from the South entrance though because there is not much to see this time of year. Use the West entrance, you can go in there and come out at the Oasis Visitor Center. The road you turn on is Park Blvd and there is a store/welcome center that will tell you the highlights of the park.

Palm Springs is an amazing place also, set at the bottom of a snow topped mountain range in the desert. I will have two 2 pieces in the M Modern Show.

I went to Tiki TI which was awesome. Venice beach was strange.
There is so much to do there. Enjoy the traffic.

oh, and if you wanna loose yer wallet go to wacko/soap plant.....amazing store......

Thanks so much. I have a notebook filled with all the sites mentioned now. I will definitely be hitting Joshua Tree for some hiking. This is going to be a great trip... just as long as the cash holds out. I am really excited to finally stay at the Caliente. Never have been able to make it out to a Tiki Oasis but maybe after this trip, I will have to schedule for it. Thanks again. You all were a great help.

tiki junkman

Hey Flounder,

Will you be at the MModern show in person? I really love your art and would like to meet ya.

tiki junkman

hey ~ nice meeting you at OA! that paddle i bought required a huge box that we had to check in. you were wise to buy smaller things! so, who else did you run into on your trip?

Pages: 1 9 replies