Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Scott Peterson Verdict in...

Pages: 1 30 replies

to be announced at 1pm PST today!

D

oooh another courttv addict? i've been following this case..and even signed up for the cell phone verdict alert!

i'm betting guilty, murder 1.

first booted jurror is an idiot (Jason), second booted jurror brought in info. the MD/JD forman booted off (i'm betting he was not letting anyone vote, and pushing an aquittal, and refusing to deliberate..)

few more minutes and we'll see the verdict...

Goin Down You Scumbag!
Don't forget your soap on a rope.

H

yes, guilty. yeah.

M

On 2004-11-12 14:15, Unga Bunga wrote:
Goin Down You Scumbag!
Don't forget your soap on a rope.

that was freaking classic machtiki :) :D :wink:

The whole thing is sad but the verdict is appropriate.

I'm guessing life in prison.

On 2004-11-12 14:56, Monkeyman wrote:
I'm guessing life in prison.

....even if he gets a death sentence, given how often they execute people in California.

D

Sad, yes. Guilty,uh... yeah...c'mon. Who dyes their hair and hops in a car for Mexico after his wife goes missing? Please!

But you know what? WHO-CARES!!

This story was relevant for one reason and one reason only: The press was all over this because they were an attractive young couple and gasp how could this happen?!! Oh lordy!!!

This is no doubt a sad story, and I feel bad for the families, but why should I know what is essentially, their own private business?

If this were an unnactractive couple or people of color, the media wouldn't have touched this story with a ten foot pole. Stuff like this happens EVERYDAY all across the country. Billy Bob who kills his 250 pound wife, so he can take off with the trashy tramp girlfriend down at the local dive bar doesn't make headlines. That stuff, at the very least, gets some air-time on 'America's Most Wanted' or 'Cops'. It's a little sad that we have to get fixated on media fodder like this when it isn't much different from anything else that unfortunately, has to unfold this way

NEXT!!!!!

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-11-12 16:18 ]

On 2004-11-12 16:12, donhonyc wrote:
If this were an unnactractive couple or people of color, the media wouldn't have touched this story with a ten foot pole.

If she hadn't been eight months pregnant, this case wouldn't have gotten nearly so much attention. [sarcasm]We all know that mommies are the only people who matter in our society.[/sarcasm]

The fact that the media does not sensationalize every horrible crime does not mean that the sensationalized ones are any less tragic.

People are particularly drawn to news stories that stike close to home. Based on what little we know of the victim and the perpetrator, they seemed to be no different than many of us. Middle class, college educated, house, car, job, planning a family.

A similar out pouring of interest occured several years ago when (4 yr old) Danielle VanDam was kidnapped and later murdered while sleeping in her bed on the second story of her home in her everyday middle class neighborhood.

Its scary, sad, and engaging when we can relate to the type of people involved or the circumstances.

The whole thing was unnecessary and a bummer.

[ Edited by: monkeyman on 2004-11-12 16:46 ]

so far i have counted 5 different news helicopters circling over the peterson homestead in the past few hours. im just glad that its over and no riots are going to break out (so i can actually drive home!)

i think monkeyman and cynful hit it on the head. also, the fact that it happened at christmas time. it just made it that more henious.

now it will be a healing time here....i know a lot of people who were directly involved in the case/trial. thankfully its over with. good riddance!

D

There is no doubt that this is sad and it isn't any less tragic than anything else that happens like this. But call me crazy...stuff like this doesn't get any attention unless it isn't exactly as you pointed out "Middle class, college educated, house, car, job, planning a family". I know people would like to think the rest of the country is like that, but it ain't. Once again, not devaluating the tragic side of this, but WHY exactly is it that situations involving people like this get so much attention. Jean-Benet, Elizabeth Smart, Jessica Lynch...on down the line. I hate to say it, but the media looks for the camera ready faces when it comes to tragedies/crisis like this. If your gonna report one...report them all!!!

Now maybe my hometown of Modesto can catch a break from the media and everyone there can go get a drink at Minnies or The Tiki. Of couse I'm still having to deal with the fact my brother worked for Gary Condit in DC. ACK!!

Donhonyc, you hit it on the "head" braddah.
Another thing, once again the "legal pundits" were WRONG. And what the hell is a pundit anyway. I wouldn't want to be called that, of all things. Call me an OYSTER LOVER.
The media is sooo out of touch with mainstream America. Don't ya' just love Jon Stewart and Dennis Miller.
okay, where's the trigger happy mods?

OJ will be disapointed. He was probably looking forward to a golf partner. Hey they could have teamed up with John and Patsy Ramsey for a foursome searching for the real killers of their loved ones on golf courses everywhere. He can always hope for an appeal.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.