Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

40's ? Rattan set - chair, couch, end table, shelf, etc....

Pages: 1 10 replies

S

I just came back from an estate sale in Van Nuys. Sorry I didn't have a camera. Rattan set for sale includes the couch (I know it's not called a couch, but what is it? Three seat cushions wide.) Coffee table, end table, maybe a chair, one of those round things on the wall with a couple of shelves (just don't know the name) and maybe some other stuff. Some of it could use a little touching up. They want around 600 or 700 dollars for the bunch. Here's the address:

14823 Valerio (between Kester and Sepulveda.

Other interesting stuff as well. Old 50's or 60's console stereo (don't know if it works) and a 50's TV in the cabinet. Don't know if the TV works, but it's all in beautiful shape otherwise. Other old, but well taken care of antique type furniture. If this is your thing you should give it a look!

[ Edited by: spy-tiki on 2004-11-12 13:25 ]

I just scored a 9 band high stacked Paul Frankl square pretzel style, 6 band wide arm, 1940's set for 225.00 Actually 200.00. It has the end pieces for the sofa with arms, then there are 3 slipper sectiond for a total of 5 sections to make a double long sofa or multiple units, it also had the 6 band arm chair, original finish, needs reupholstered. i got it at a trendy consignment shop. i sold a 200.00 pine bench for 400.00 there and netted 240.00, they get 40%, but i used it 4 years and sold it wih a profit! The owners mark things 1/2 off after a couple of months and with this for 250, i couldn't resist using my bench money. I then talked the manager down to 225 so i could get it after taxes, without spending any out of pocket cash. It has the original finish in very good shape and also the cushions. I'm stoked! Hadta share and brag this here since peeps round here aren't that hip. After I bought it i looked at TC posts about aloha cruz, rattan, etc. Damn, this piece coulda sold for a cool 4 grand EZ. That's my best tiki find other than my 5 foot witco tiki and my 4 foot one. About 30 bux a piece.

Aloha
Bryan

very cool, we scored an entire paul frankl set last year ( the pretzel ) for $400. everyone at the antique mall snubbed it because it was'nt heywood. hahahahah! dumbasses.

SCORE SneakyTiki!!!
Please post some pics.
Aloha,
:tiki:

total dumbasses, the ash stuff is okay, but hey it don't curve much yall, I could make a set out of dowels and rawhide lace haha.

Royale, I'll upload some pix soon. I've been working alot on the rocketiki room so I'd better snp sum pix.

thx
Sneaky

Like Tiki Royal I have to giggle about them not thinking it was worth much because it was not Heywood. The Heywood Ashcraft line is not even made out of rattan. It is wood made to look like rattan and the wraps are actually paper. It is also not nearly as collectible. Don't get me wrong, I love Heywood, but it doesn't compare to Frankl. I can't wait to see some photos of this set.....SCORE!!! is right!!
Here are a couple of photos of our Ashcraft pieces....pretty, but no Frankyl..and not an ounce of rattan on either of them.

[ Edited by: BeachyTiki 2006-02-14 19:44 ]

TD

There is nothing like that old rattan!

Funny coincidence about this topic turning to ashcraft references, there was an ashcraft armcahir NEXT TO the Frankl set I bought, priced at 40- 50 bux. I thought about buying it too, but I have just about maxed out my furniture space and have a backlog of furniture that I've bought with the specific intent to resell already. My carport looks like Sanford N' son right now. I just took a load to the consignment store today. If I could quit spending my profits on the gems I find there I could significantly supplement my income this way. Today I took home a pole lamp that is feaured in this month's Atomic Ranch, I've been coveting it for about a mo. and when I saw it in the magazine yesterdy I thought I'd better bring it home before someone else saw the pic. Damn, I was waiting for the price to be cut too. But I was able to get it with the profits from my 2 dollar Saarinen side chair sale so at least it was nearly free.

That is a nice desk Beachy, I'd like to see chisel-slingers Frankl set too. I'm trying to figure out where the dig. camera is and I'll pot some rattan photos soon.

Here finally, are some pix of my 200 dollar Frankl rattan set.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-23 17:58 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-27 04:06 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies