Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Water proofing question

Pages: 1 7 replies

Got another question for you all...
I was wondering what I should use to make a wooden bowl water proof. I have a Tiki mask with an open mouth,a beautiful deep wooden bowl, fountain pump, and a wall that I can easily run the tubing through. Tiki's gonna spit water if all goes well with my half baked plan.
I have never seen a Witco fountain in person but if they are wood they must of used something to water proof them. Any ideas?
Thank!
Melody

many coats of marine varnish. Spar marine varnish is one type.

Exotica, do you have any pics of your fountain? That sounds really cool.

I'm going to put him together tonight when I get home from work, for a test run,I'll snap a pix then and post it. I don't think the mask is a true Tiki type mask, but I liked him from his open mouth and he also has open space around his eyeballs. I was kicking around putting some light behind them, but maybe I'm going to far over the top? LOL. I'm kinda a over the top sort of person though...see my next post LOL

Here a couple of pictures of my test run. I still have to drill the hole into the wooden bowl, but you get the idea. Sorry the mask isn't very Tiki, maybe he is African? I loved that mouth and eye detail. The eyes would really glow with some red mini bulbs behind them. LOL.
Mel

Hey that looks good. I wanted to do the same type of thing but out side. What type of pump did you use, and how does one figure out what flow rate to get. thanks for sharing

I bought the smallest pump I could find at my local Hobby Lobby, the tubing and a hose clamp from the hardware store.
Doing this outside is easy cause if the pressure is to great and you over shoot your bowl or what have you no biggie, just clamp the flow down a little, add more water and try again. Inside was another story for me. LOL. A big towel came in handy. Only over shot the bowl once though, so not to tragic.
We enjoy hearing the water splash as we sit back and enjoy some Martin Denny on the Hi-FI, while sipping cool drinks. Very relaxing!

H

Hey exotica-

Just an idea, but what about putting a slightly smaller bowl inside that catches the water, and maybe even return it without drilling a hole in your wooden bowl? And maybe throw some lava rocks in??

(edit)

Too many may splash...

[ Edited by: hi-jinx on 2004-11-22 00:17 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies