Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki in Banff!?! with Pics!

Pages: 1 4 replies

Hello All,

I just searched through the forums and didn't find anything about this, so here it goes:

This weekend the wife and I went to Banff, Alberta. One of our nations' finest (and touristy) national parks. On the main strip I spotted this restaurant:

Anyway, something about the shape of this entryway made me think it may have, at one time, been a Polynesian themed restaurant.

I went inside to see if there were any clues to a tikified past, and I DID see (what could be interpreted as) a tiki carving. My wife thought I may be losing my mind...
Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo of the "tiki" inside, but next time we go to Banff we will eat there. I'm sure the staff won't say no to one little photo then right?

So does anyone have an old matchbook or postcard for a tiki restaurant in Banff?

On another note, we did see this tiki tucked amongst some totem poles in a private yard. This is on the road leading up to the Banff Springs Lodge:

-Slacks

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret on 2004-11-16 11:05 ]

Hey slaks, my old boy passed away a few weeks ago, and despite being a conservative old coot, he had amoung his Gomez Addams like home accoutrements, Indoor trampline, huge steer horns, guns and furs all over the house...a Totem Pole.

He got it someplace in Alaska I think and it's really struck me how similar it is to Tiki in many ways. (You can't go to the Empress for High Tea in Canada and not see those huge Totems there...and kinda get the same feeling)

Cool photos.

Cheers

Thanks for the heads up Slacks. Next time I'm in Banff I'll poke my head in.

That's cool slacks! Now that I think about it, both of those look like tikis! I've never seen a totem with a mouth, head dress, or "gotta go" stance like that. Great finds! I would have driven right past!

Sweet Daddy! Yr back!! Where were you?

Tikiwahine...I thought the same thing of the totem pole next to the tiki...it does look tiki-esque donnit?

Pages: 1 4 replies