Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki hut help

Pages: 1 12 replies

After this post, you'll probably all think I'm nuts and you may be right, but here's another project I could use some suggestions on...
Before we started the remodel that will hopefully soon turn this room into a bar and lounge in my old game room, I had my husband build me alittle booth right at the bottom of the stairs. I also have collected a family of mannequins over the years that I use for display purposes to surprize my guests with at parties.(real conversation pieces)In this booth is one of my male mannequins. I don't want to tear out the booth, so I am going to thatch it, and I was wondering what to make from it from that point. Any ideas? Turn Mr. Mannequin into Trader Vic serving a tropical drink? Or should I go more native? Something that would tie this little area into the bar and lounge area. This is also how I am able to hook up the fountain through the one wall of the hut to spit water into a bowl next to the sitting area. Let your imaginations run wild. Thanks! Mel

I'm thinking an old, weathered sea-captain (or pirate!) holding a rum bottle in one hand, and the other hand held out inviting the guests to enter into the lounge. Some sound effects might be cool here too, like the captain actually asking guests to enter, or maybe some creepy laughter or something.

Yes, we all think you are cwazy! Now that that that's over with, shoot us some pics . BTW, I'm the only one that knows you are sane.

Ok, here is what the booth looks like right now. Ol' Zotan needs a make over. LOL. Remember I have to work within the limits of my "mannys" frozen limbs. LOL. Sea captain or pirate is very interesting idea, I may not have to thatch the booth just stick a helms wheel in front of him. LOL.

oops! bigger is better here is Zotan...

Turn him into Crazy Al!

(pirate house in savannah, ga)

arrrrrrrr!

E

took your advice Finkdaddy and turned ol' Zotan into a pirate.
what do ya think?

HT

Good, but lose the glow in the dark skull thingy. It makes it look bad hokey, the costume and decor, good hokey, very good hokey. It looks really awesome.

D

agreed with the skull & crossbones thing. would also be neat if your pirate had a bit of a tan, he's so very pastey!

i'd love to see your house and all the maniquin tennants too!

e

What about a good old tattered "jolly rogers" flag to replace the skull 'n crossbones deco? Maybe a parrot on 'is shoulder! Quite cool, maniquins add a whole new level of intrigue to an environment.

Yar, Don't fergit the powder kegs, fake parrot, weapons and treasure trunks.

A skeleton smoking with a hat on might make a good additon.

Do you ever fill the car up with these guys and drive around?

Good fun!

E

all great ideas and I will get around to them all! I had my holiday open house last night and the pirate and the whole new tiki lounge (as yet un-named) was a huge success! I couldn't have done it without all of your thoughts and ideas! I also added a singing/dancing santa in my new bathroom that conects up to the lounge. when you walked into the bathroom, santa started to sing and dance from the shower stall. Next year will modify him to be more tiki-like.
Yes, the "manny" family has been good for laughs, I'll have to find pictures of all the places they have gone and things they have done. I can't wait till the pirate gets out on the open sea on our boat next summer.
Part of the manny famliy is in the front picture window for Christmas, and it's fun to watch the delivery people walk by on the way to my front door.Even funnier is clothes changing day in the front window! Neighbors say it looks kinda someone dancing around with a naked person as I try to strip and dress these un-bending things.

[ Edited by: exotica59 on 2004-12-05 18:17 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies