Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

I got lots of head!

Pages: 1 22 replies

L
laney posted on Tue, Nov 16, 2004 3:58 PM

hehehehe
Actually, thanks to a fellow TCer's reccomendation that I go to a flea market I'd never been to and a rainy Sunday morning, I was able to score these shrunken heads. The seller told me they were made for a movie but never used. I bought all he had and got a great deal (I think) My friend gave me the craziest look as I giggled with my 2 bags of heads.
They are nicely detailed and about 6" tall but need stiches and hair. I got some hair to glue on but if you know a better way of doing this, let me know.

I plan of giving a few away but the rest will be bunched up and hung above the bar.

Does anyone have a good pic of the "head salesman" in the Jungle Cruze? I'd like to see how the heads are bunched.

There is one white guy. Why, I don't know. Maybe he was the first one made and the color went wrong. He is a bit taller than the rest.

H

Ayyyyyyyyy.

Hang one over the tip jar. Noone would dare cheap out on you.

GREAT score!!

A good head is so hard to find these days :wink:
They'll look fantastic hanging above your bar! Have fun with them,

Very kool score. Which flea market did you go to?

T

Hey Eeeeeeee-laney!
here's a pic off the web of 'Trader Sam' - Head Salesman of Disneyland's Jungle Cruise...

As you can see - he is just trying to get ahead....

In fact, I believe he is running a special this week only - two of his heads, for one of yours....

• (Former JC "Skipper") Tangaroa

I think there's some really amazing examples of shrunken heads on pariartspaul's website.

Those are soooo cool! What swap meet did you go to?

Regarding the "head salesman" in the Cruise, I think there's a stack of heads in a sort of pyramid shape, stacked on the ground, near his campground, as well as groups of them hanging all over on spears that are stuck into the ground.

It must have been fun walking around the swap meet thinking, "I've got a bag full of shrunken heads!"

Rainy Sunday...hmmmm My money is on the Pasadena Community College Flea Market.

And I got to that one late! But I did at least get a small HIP tiki.

If only I had had the luck to stumble on that trove of shrunken heads... Sigh.

Congrats. You should have Tiki Farm make a mold off of one of them, and we could have a lidded zombie mug. Zombies!!!!!!!! More Zombies!

TG

L
laney posted on Wed, Nov 17, 2004 3:56 AM

Thanks for the pics Tang. I like the idea of a basket of heads too!

On 2004-11-16 18:37, TikiGardener wrote:
Rainy Sunday...hmmmm My money is on the Pasadena Community College Flea Market.

Congrats. You should have Tiki Farm make a mold off of one of them, and we could have a lidded zombie mug. Zombies!!!!!!!! More Zombies!

TG

Actually it was the Melrose flea market. Thanks to a reccomendation by MT Kahuna. The guy said if it wasn't raining, they'd be $5 each but he was selling them 2 for $5 he ended up giving me a better deal $30 for all! But don't go looking for tiki as I didn't see any, or heads as I did buy all the heads he had. But it is good for interesting Hollywood people watching.

I also think one of these would make a killer lidded mug. Especially if the inside was red or pink. Not to take away from Sam's shrunken head which is more cartoony. A gruesome realistic shrunken head mug would rock!

[ Edited by: laney on 2004-11-17 04:02 ]

V

I think the white one is an albinos, that's all...

Nice score Laney. What are your plans for all them boys?

On 2004-11-16 15:58, laney wrote:
I got some hair to glue on but if you know a better way of doing this, let me know.

this website for the temple of doom f/x suggests under item 10.1:

"...the shrunken head. We actually plugged the hair in with a needle, directly into the latex, to create the effect of correct density in such a small area.""

S

I am so jealous! I have been looking for a shrunken head or two for my bar for a while. I figure they are likely easy to find through Johnson catalog or something. But those are too cool!

Does the fact that I knew what this thread was about before I opened it mean that I'm hanging around here too much?

I just had a sick idea for this as a mug. Instead of having the straw go through the lid, why not have it go through a hole in one of the eyes? It would reduce capacity, but look awesomely gruesome!

I'd be willing to spring some dough to see that kind of eye-dea to fruition!

Holden you reading this?

TG

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2004-11-17 14:01 ]

It'd be kool for a limited. For mainstream, we'd get many stores returning them saying... "I don't get it" and "it spilled all over my macrome doile (sp?) that my grandma made". We've got to "dummy it down" for our wholesale to the stores pieces as, well, some people are lame... you'd be amazed.
Mahaloz,
Holden

I bet the folks at Otto's Shrunken Head might buy some.

But even as a limited, it'd be tres cool.

TG

T

THose are some gnarly shrunken heads!

M

Laney.......
No word on the BUCKETS of Clothing.

But I know where you got those... I Know... I Know...

I'm Still lookin for the place where the vintage bras and panties live....

MTK

B

Swanky (and anyone else interested)
I got some great heads a few weeks ago for the bar from this guy

http://www.realshrunkenhead.com/

a few different styles... all pretty hip

M

Laney,
Got your message last night. I'll give you a call.

He no have mo heads.

MTK

They sell shrunken heads at the American Dime Museum in Baltimore, MD. Heads or no heads, what a great little museum of oddities!

http://www.dimemuseum.net/

1808 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland 21201

[ Edited by: Deery Luau on 2004-12-01 11:46 ]

I like the "heads" .. I noticed all of the ones you have are of males... you can tell them apart from the females very easily: the females are the ones with their mouths open...

(some really old "Jungle Cruise" humor, circa 1966)

MTM

Pages: 1 22 replies