Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: My new Coconut cream pie drink recipe

Pages: 1 14 replies

Well, at least I THINK I invented it. I did a search and came up empty. I've looked in my grog books and found nothing either. I'm sure some "T.C. Socialite" will "politely" correct me if it turns out that I'm rippin' someone off. So here goes: Fill a coconut-shaped mug with ice (half full if crushed).Fill half with milk, half with coconut rum (your favorite brand). Spray in some whipped cream (in the can) and stir. Then spray a good ammount of whipped cream to cover it like a pie (circular motion). Top it with toasted coconut and a cherry and enjoy!

D

Sounds luscious-would be a great after dinner drink.No calories in it,either.

K

On 2004-11-18 12:26, tikitortured wrote:
I'm sure some "T.C. Socialite" will "politely" correct me if it turns out that I'm rippin' someone off. So here goes: Fill a coconut-shaped mug with ice (half full if crushed).Fill half with milk, half with coconut rum (your favorite brand). Spray in some whipped cream (in the can) and stir. Then spray a good ammount of whipped cream to cover it like a pie (circular motion). Top it with toasted coconut and a cherry and enjoy!

Hmmmm...no, I think you've got a bona-fide original there. I doubt anybody would be impolite in this forum even if it was an existing drink.

May I be so bold as to offer some suggestions for your next foray into the creamy dessert side of mixology? I mean only to riff off of what you have already created, so please indulge me if you will. Consider me inspired by your recipe.

Try this: Drop the milk and the stirred in whipped cream. These are a bit rendundant in that the whipped cream and milk can be replaced with a single pour of heavy cream or even half and half for a silkier more dense drink. If you play with the ratio a bit and use a shaker to froth the drink a bit and water it down, you should get a similar result with less hassle.

Also, the coconut rum is tasty stuff, but lacks the punch some of your more tipsy guests might prefer. At 70 proof, 2 ounces of Stoli Vanil along with the coconut rum would add a nice kick to your "pie" and the vanilla flavor would be in keeping with the vanilla pudding that is often the base of a coconut cream pie.

Anyway, this all sounds like fun. I rarely use whipped cream anymore since nobody asks for irish coffee these days. I'll have to buy a can and spray on some coconut peaks.

Cheers!

Ahu

[ Edited by: Ku Ku Ahu on 2004-11-18 17:50 ]

D

Sounds very tastey - Sounds like you could also add some Creme De Banana and make a banana cream pie drink too...YUM!!!!!

V

IS that cow Milk you use or coconut milk ?

Ku Ku Ahu, thank you for the truly inspired tips on the Coconut Cream Pie drink. I sprung it on some happy guests over Thanksgiving and it was a big hit. You were right, heavy cream shaken was luxurious and Stoli Vanil gave it the perfect "sumthin'-sumthin" (but don't go overboard on that stuff!). Next I shall try the Banana Cream pie that Digitiki suggested. Thanks again!

K

On 2004-11-29 14:50, tikitortured wrote:
Ku Ku Ahu, thank you for the truly inspired tips on the Coconut Cream Pie drink.

Hey, no problem. I'm honored that you tried my ideas. I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about mixology, so it's nice to see it put to use for somebody.

Cheers!

Ahu

This recipe reminds me a little of my wife's favorite rum drink, the Rum Cow:

1 1/2 ounces light rum
2 drops vanilla
Dash Angostura bitters
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup milk
Nutmeg
3 or 4 ice cubes

Combine rum, vanilla, bitters, sugar, and milk in a cocktail shaker. Grate a little nutmeg on top and add ice. Shake vigorously and pour into a 10-ounce coconut mug.

K
Kono posted on Sun, Dec 5, 2004 6:15 PM

On 2004-11-29 16:22, Ku Ku Ahu wrote:

On 2004-11-29 14:50, tikitortured wrote:
Ku Ku Ahu, thank you for the truly inspired tips on the Coconut Cream Pie drink.

Hey, no problem. I'm honored that you tried my ideas. I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about mixology, so it's nice to see it put to use for somebody.

Cheers!

Ahu

Hey Ahu

Maybe you can give me some help. I've gotten obsessed with the idea of creating a drink that tastes like an apple pie! Weird but true. Something to do with Thanksgiving I think. Here's where I'm at right now:

1oz Apple juice
.5 oz Sailor Jerry's rum
.5oz Cruzan Vanille rum
.5oz Cruzan mango rum
1oz Apfelkorn liqueur
.25oz After Shock liqueur
.25oz Cruzan Black Strap rum
.16 oz orgeat syrup
shake bitters

Any help appreciated. Are there any cinnamon liqueurs that don't taste like hot cinnamon candy a la "After Shock" or "Hot Damn!" I'd like a smoother cinnamon taste. The Apfelkorn is the perfect base for this cocktail idea. Great apple flavor. Give it some thought. :D

K

On 2004-12-05 18:15, Kono wrote:

Maybe you can give me some help. I've gotten obsessed with the idea of creating a drink that tastes like an apple pie!

Here's where I'm at right now:

1oz Apple juice
.5 oz Sailor Jerry's rum
.5oz Cruzan Vanille rum
.5oz Cruzan mango rum
1oz Apfelkorn liqueur
.25oz After Shock liqueur
.25oz Cruzan Black Strap rum
.16 oz orgeat syrup
shake bitters

Any help appreciated. Are there any cinnamon liqueurs that don't taste like hot cinnamon candy a la "After Shock" or "Hot Damn!" I'd like a smoother cinnamon taste. The Apfelkorn is the perfect base for this cocktail idea. Great apple flavor. Give it some thought. :D

Two things come to mind right away:

One is WTF is Apfelkorn? Heh heh heh! I'll admit I had to look that one up. Figured it had to be a schnaps, and sure enough...

Secondly, it seems to me that the cinnamon flavor you will get with most commercial american schnaps is going to be that chewing gum kind of artificial cinnamon and not a true natural pie cinnamon flavor.

The best solution I can dream up would take a little bit of work, but I think would be worth it, and that would be to spice (infuse) a rum with cinnamon specially for this drink.

You could drop both the Sailor Jerry and the cinnamon schnaps in favor of the following:

Heat one half cup of light rum (Cruzan is nice for infusions and liqueurs like this) in a small pot on the stove to a light simmer.

Throw some fresh cinnamon sticks in a food processor (I have a dedicated processor for this since it is tough on the machine and will piss off your wife) or smash 'em up a bit inside a plastic bag with a hammer maybe. Just get 'em small enough to fit through the largest funnel you can find that still fits the neck of the bottle you plan to use for the finished product.

You'll want a rough 1/4 cup or so of smashed up sticks. It isn't a science really, so don't fret the details of measure until your second batch when ya get some idea of how it turns out and what ya wanna change. Just write down what ya do, how much for how long, etc. so that you have a record for the next time.

Toss the sticks into the rum and let it steep. Keep the flame low enough to keep the rum nice and hot, but don't burn it all off. Add a splash of rum if it looks to become dry.

Let this brew for maybe five minutes or so and then let it cool a bit.

Dump the whole mess into the bottle via the funnel along with 2 additional cups of rum.

Let sit for a week or so shaking occasionally. You can taste it daily when it settles out if you want to check for flavor permeation. When it hits the level ya want, strain it, pass it through a coffee filter and bottle it.

Add sugar syrup if ya want a true liqueur as opposed to a cinnamon rum at roughly 1 part to 3 of sugar syrup to rum. I might leave it alone so as to not have it be a sweet ingredient in the drink, but you can try it either way and see what works best.

Back to the drink:

Now, I'd have to taste the whole thing to see where the mango rum, orgeat, and black strap rum fit in flavor-wise, but I like the vanilla rum in there for sure. The others I might let go. Bitters are a must here, I agree with you there.

I'd use a cider as opposed to the apple juice though, and I might even be inclined (here comes more weird lab work and cookery) to make a cider reduction instead(cook apple cider down to a thicker nectar to concentrate the flavor).

Also, frozen apple juice concentrate can be employed when mixed with only one can of water to make a syrupy version. I'd still prefer both the color and flavor of a cider though.

Also, I suppose I'd want to use Applejack. Though your Apfelkorn might be great, I like the fact that Lairds is an American ingredient in what is arguably a very American cocktail (Apple pie, Mom, and Chevrolet).

Lastly, apple pie is buttery in the crust with a touch of salt. I could see you using a scant amount (1/8 oz or less) of butterscotch schnaps and a tiny pinch of salt in the shaker.

Does this help at all?

My apologies for the lack of brevity.

Ahu

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes."

-Oscar Wilde

[ Edited by: Ku Ku Ahu on 2004-12-07 10:58 ]

K
Kono posted on Tue, Dec 7, 2004 6:45 PM

On 2004-12-07 10:54, Ku Ku Ahu wrote:
Two things come to mind right away:

One is WTF is Apfelkorn? Heh heh heh! I'll admit I had to look that one up. Figured it had to be a schnaps, and sure enough...

Secondly, it seems to me that the cinnamon flavor you will get with most commercial american schnaps is going to be that chewing gum kind of artificial cinnamon and not a true natural pie cinnamon flavor.

The best solution I can dream up would take a little bit of work, but I think would be worth it, and that would be to spice (infuse) a rum with cinnamon specially for this drink.

You could drop both the Sailor Jerry and the cinnamon schnaps in favor of the following:

Heat one half cup of light rum (Cruzan is nice for infusions and liqueurs like this) in a small pot on the stove to a light simmer.

Throw some fresh cinnamon sticks in a food processor (I have a dedicated processor for this since it is tough on the machine and will piss off your wife) or smash 'em up a bit inside a plastic bag with a hammer maybe. Just get 'em small enough to fit through the largest funnel you can find that still fits the neck of the bottle you plan to use for the finished product.

You'll want a rough 1/4 cup or so of smashed up sticks. It isn't a science really, so don't fret the details of measure until your second batch when ya get some idea of how it turns out and what ya wanna change. Just write down what ya do, how much for how long, etc. so that you have a record for the next time.

Toss the sticks into the rum and let it steep. Keep the flame low enough to keep the rum nice and hot, but don't burn it all off. Add a splash of rum if it looks to become dry.

Let this brew for maybe five minutes or so and then let it cool a bit.

Dump the whole mess into the bottle via the funnel along with 2 additional cups of rum.

Let sit for a week or so shaking occasionally. You can taste it daily when it settles out if you want to check for flavor permeation. When it hits the level ya want, strain it, pass it through a coffee filter and bottle it.

Add sugar syrup if ya want a true liqueur as opposed to a cinnamon rum at roughly 1 part to 3 of sugar syrup to rum. I might leave it alone so as to not have it be a sweet ingredient in the drink, but you can try it either way and see what works best.

Great idea with the cinnamon infused rum and I may wind up going that way but I was hoping for something that anybody could purchase to make the recipe. That cinnamon infused rum does sound mighty good though. Even just to make it just for the hell of it. Mmmmm.

Back to the drink:

Now, I'd have to taste the whole thing to see where the mango rum, orgeat, and black strap rum fit in flavor-wise, but I like the vanilla rum in there for sure. The others I might let go. Bitters are a must here, I agree with you there.

Agreed. The Vanilla and bitters a must. The mango, orgeat, black strap were to contribute a fruity sweet syrupness that may be rendered unnecessary by changes in other parts of the recipe.

I'd use a cider as opposed to the apple juice though, and I might even be inclined (here comes more weird lab work and cookery) to make a cider reduction instead(cook apple cider down to a thicker nectar to concentrate the flavor).

Also, frozen apple juice concentrate can be employed when mixed with only one can of water to make a syrupy version. I'd still prefer both the color and flavor of a cider though.

Damn, are you a chef? Cider it is!

Also, I suppose I'd want to use Applejack. Though your Apfelkorn might be great, I like the fact that Lairds is an American ingredient in what is arguably a very American cocktail (Apple pie, Mom, and Chevrolet).

Apfelkorn tastes like (slightly) hard cider. I've never had Applejack. It's not sour is it?

Lastly, apple pie is buttery in the crust with a touch of salt. I could see you using a scant amount (1/8 oz or less) of butterscotch schnaps and a tiny pinch of salt in the shaker.

Hmmmm...interesting. Will try. Thanks Ahu.

K

On 2004-12-07 18:45, Kono wrote:

Great idea with the cinnamon infused rum and I may wind up going that way but I was hoping for something that anybody could purchase to make the recipe. That cinnamon infused rum does sound mighty good though. Even just to make it just for the hell of it. Mmmmm.

Well, it all sounds more complicated than it really is. But as for finding a less artificial cinnamon source that would available to the public...that's tough.

Perhaps a less pungent brand than Aftershock is the answer. DeKuyper and Hiram Walker both make decent cinnamon schnaps.

I think you could merely suggest in your recipe that it calls for cinnamon infused rum. Most mixologists will go to lengths for a drink that interests them, and infusions are popular right now anyway.

Agreed. The Vanilla and bitters a must. The mango, orgeat, black strap were to contribute a fruity sweet syrupness that may be rendered unnecessary by changes in other parts of the recipe.

Yes, I think a reduction of cider will give you the syrup aspect you are lookig for.

Damn, are you a chef? Cider it is!

Well, ex-chef, yes. Comes in handy with mixology I find. Cooking and drink making are kindred beasts. Same animal, just different care and handling.

Apfelkorn tastes like (slightly) hard cider. I've never had Applejack. It's not sour is it?

No, not sour at all. The apple flavor is subtle, and applejack has a nice whiskey-like burn to it. I wouldn't drink it straight, but it adds a fine apple flavor and "adult boozy kick" to whatever it is mixed into.

I think you might buy some to try. It's cheap, and is used in a few of the Grog Log recipes. So it isn't like you'd only use it for this one drink.

Your main apple flavor I feel should come from the cider though. That's where you can really pull in that fresh from fall harvest flavor.

Cheers!

Ahu

Sounds yummy! I love coconut cream pie, and like a true TCer, love a drink now and then (ahem)... I'll be sure to try this out as well as the variants suggested!

Thanks for the recipe'!

MTM

[ Edited by: MaiTaiMafia on 2004-12-08 04:03 ]

D

Kono-I believe that Tuaca is a cinnamon flavored liqueur-maybe give that a try.

K

On 2004-12-08 06:21, docwoods wrote:
Kono-I believe that Tuaca is a cinnamon flavored liqueur-

Eh, Doc...I hate to disagree with ya, but Tuaca has an orangey vanilla flavor.

Ahu

Pages: 1 14 replies