Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

We are a fun group so.... our weddings must....

Pages: 1 14 replies

(being the largest party folks throw for themselves) be a bit off the norm.

We seldom plan our own wakes and FUNerals...that kinda underlines weddings.

What the hell was your wedding like? (ask someone else if you have to)

Did it have a theme?
Did you throw-up (and if so was it eaten by dogs?) was there gunplay? awkword moments? people you have slept with making surprize appearances? How many kegs? Cake fight? Cat fight? What went wrong? What would you do another way? (not talking honeymoon sex..I mean the wedding)Did you have a piper? did you come out over or under the 17K average? Did you pay for it? Indoors or out? Church or house lodge? Horse drawn carriage? Doves? Llamas?

[ Edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-11-20 12:37 ]

I've heard it said that the resulting marriage is the worst thing about a wedding...

D

Seven at our wedding-my folks,his folks,my aunt and us.Held in a restaurant-when the judge pronounced us husband and wife,the barflies cheered.Had a small group because we didn't want to soak either set of parents with a big shindig-anyone in either of our families who've done the big whoopdido have gotten divorced-it will be fourteen years in January.

We were married in a tiny Quaker chapel on a local college campus by a Unitarian minister. Not a big to-do, mostly just the elder family members.

Both of my Grandfathers were terminally ill, one with leukemia and the other with cancer. My wife and I had been living together for some time and wanted these guys to see us make it right. The grandfather with leukemia was doing very poorly and couldn't attend. I didn't find out until later that evening that he passed on while the ceremony took place. We were packing our bags for Cancun when my mother broke the news to me. Needless to say, this is a bittersweet chapter in my family's history.

Other than that it was a beautiful ceremony and honeymoon.

-FB

T

We eloped to Tokyo, and got married in Yokohama in Sankei-En Gardens. We didnt book it or anything - its sort of an open park with historical buildings and temples on the grounds. My brother said if we just crashed the joint, the Japanese would be too polite to kick us out. The plan worked. We couldnt find a minister to marry us in Japan, so my brother did the deed last minute, and we got it officialized back in Toronto. The after party was at the Tiki Tiki Yokohama, of course!

8T

The biggest faux-pas at our wedding was at the end of the ceremony. You know the part where the minister or preacher or whoever has the couple turn to face the guests and then introduces them as Mr. & Mrs. (insert name here). Well our priest evidently forgot the grooms name and used the brides maiden name to introduce us. The crazy thing is that Mrs 8ft has a brother with the same name as mine and so I'm not sure if she is actually married to me or her brother. And this isn't even the hillbilly part of Missouri.

Tikibot, that's great!

A how to do it rite guide...top notch.

Thanks!

(Not that there is a wrong way...I mean kooky and stylish)

After 8 years of being together, the (now) wife and I through our middle finger up at our families and ran off to Maui. We didn't want to deal with the "big show" our families expected. The wedding was about the two of us.

We got married on the beach at sunset, the two of us, our non-demoninational minister, photographer and Ukulele player. Best choice we made. We spent the next week relaxing on Maui.

I always thought weddings were invented for woman.

Naw, not the bride but more the mother of the bride.

I had a fantastic tropical wedding in our home, but since my Mum decided to fork out much of the cash, she got to make most of the decisions(like purchasing several bolts of fabric to make the tents pretty). Since I'm her only daughter, she figured it would be ok to go wayyy overboard. I at least managed to keep it simple.
Here are some pictures:
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAMWTVq4cNWzxA

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-11-21 22:07 ]

Ooh! I almost forgot. There was one silly moment. During the ceremony I cried my eyes out. I had a kleenex to dry them...stuffed down the front of my dress. Everyone thought it was pretty funny when I reached down and pulled it out, used it and put it back again.

3 kegs, 60 bottles of wine, and I now have 70 bottles of booze. oh and a flat of pineapple juice :)

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-11-22 13:20 ]

Docwoods: you never said if the 7 of you in the bar above or below the 17K average.

Ungabunga: I think most times weddings are for women. That whole industry is vulgar to me...the princess thing. I posted this because I'm rather certain numerous people on this site have chosen alternative routes.

It seems more common that the giant white dress event is a younger woman thing. The kooky theme parties planned for both couples seems to happen a bit later.

Tikiwahini: Nice photos and great garden...30 kegs did you say? Is this still going on? Instead of almonds did people get asprin as favours? That's great! Was it home brew that people contibuted?

Gigantilope, 3 kegs, not thirty, silly! The brews were from a local micro brewery called Phillips. We had Phoenix Gold(a Czech Pilsener), Raspberry Wheat(an American Pale Wheat Ale) and their IPA. No homebrews unfortunately, since Jeff was away for 5 weeks up until a week or so before the wedding.

We gave wine as favors, since there were only about 50 guests. One of my uncles had just moved to Japan, so brought a huge box full of interesting liqueurs including several from other countries I have never heard of! They were mostly half full, but that doesn't bother me!

The white dress was something I never pictured myself in. We're not religious in any way(had a commissioner perform the ceremony) but once I had that particular dress on, I knew it was what I wanted. It really did make me feel like a princess. If I'd have found something vintage in a bright print, it would have done the job just fine. I think the other reason I went with the formal dress was that I had many friends and family that had come from far away to attend. I did it more out of respect, I didn't want them to come all that way to see me in a $5.99 bargain.

excuse me, Waiter...could you please drop a piano on my head?

3 kegs indeed. Not bad at all. Impressive too that you know the syles and brands. Do you know the expression Alewife?

(I honestly thought all day about the 30 kegs and was making a note to build a shrine to you some day)

Sometimes I think weddings are like fights in schoolyards...once so far along, many crazy things are done for the benefit of spectators...

I think too it's hard on woman...families being crazy and all. Expectaions...your special day...

I have read after weddings (and honeymoons) folks often go into a low period.

(Tikibong...this is a big fat pumkin over the plate for you to hit out)

[ Edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-11-23 18:38 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies