Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: kahiki original bamboo light

Pages: 1 11 replies

B

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3942742229&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
here is the other light I am selling for the kahiki plz look
thanks
barry

R

A pic with it lit up might be nice :wink:

i do not know for sure if this is really "one of a kind" but this looks just like the 6 lights i have from the KON TIKI in cleveland TD

What is the innermost layer of that lamp ( the layer nearest the light bulb) made of?

if you are asking about mine,theyare lined,bottom and around the inside with a heavy red paper,maybe waxed. TD

B

What is the innermost layer of that lamp ( the layer nearest the light bulb) made of?
It appears to make of some kind of bamboo type paper. Its brown in color or just aged brown. there was a yellow light bulb in it.
I consider the lamp to be one of a kind because it was in the kahiki restaurant for 40 years
thanks
barry

Neat lamp. Your description mentions you've been told it was made by Orchids; it doesn't fit the specs of most of the Orchids of Hawaii lamps I know about though, because it doesn't have a translucent fiberglass cylinder as it's core. Of the OoH lamps I've seen, all have this cylinder except the big scallop spheres and one bamboo tube. Not that thats a bad thing at all; OoH is the best documented so far and I'm just trying to identify stuff as it's posted here. There isn't much printed documentation on lamps that were made for tiki bars and most of what I know is right here on TC. Maybe its an earlier OoH model (the oldest OoH bamboo tube I've got is the one without the cylinder), or maybe it was made by Oceanic Arts? Anyone?

DZ

I, too, have this exact same "light": same dimensions, same weave patterns, same materials; it's just missing the upper 'hat' part and any/all wiring. Funny thing is, it's never looked like a lamp to me and I've been using it as a trashcan for the last few years!

Who knew?

i see that light went for $58.00 damn! TD

i see that light went for $58.00 damn!

It might have gone for more if a pic showing it in place at the Kahiki had been posted...double edged sword for interested TC members, I know, but If I'd bought that thing, I'd sure like to have such a photo. Bdler3, would your Kahiki contact have access to the inventory pics mentioned in the thread on the other lamp?

TD

the thing is ,i've got a lot of stuff from KON TIKI in cleveland,(closed in 1975)including some bamboo/rattan lights.alot of the caved wooden panels,and an outrigger canoe. i just can't seem to find any pics of them in use in the place. can anyone help? TD

B

tikijackalope I have been trying to get that information, but as in life nothing is ever easy. I will keep trying
thanks

Pages: 1 11 replies