Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Ladies Night at Trader Vic's

Pages: 1 20 replies

Well for now that's the working title while the upper crust at TVs considers letting me use their good name in the title.

No comments? Not even negative ones. Is it the color palette? Did women in art go out of style? Did I offend? ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Hey, I saw this when you first posted it and thought it, and still do, looks great. One comment though... The first thing my eyes go to when I look at this is the eyepatch the chick on the right is wearing. I think it's the darkest thing in the pic which kinda makes it the focal point. If that's what you wanted, great job! If not, you may want to lighten it up a bit.

kava "awa" stupor

I think its great!
good use of shadows & depth

Keep em coming
cheers
Bob

I know how ya feel , its exciting to see what others think about your passions . With that said, The painting looks great. Really like the red dress. Kinda like the red dress lady in the matrix movie. Standing out from the crowd .

T

I like the concept and the execution, but the ladies look like they are dressed for the honkeytonk bar! A belly shirt at Trader Vics? Sacrilege!

Great composition! Nice way to showcase the lady in red, then with an eyeroll off to the drama on the right. Very dramatic and sophisticated use of color! There's almost a "Last Supper" thing going on (eye-patch lady as Judas).
-FB

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2004-11-24 21:18 ]

for some reason i keep thinking of Kill Bill.

B

I dig the colors! For some reason I like the chick with the eye patch, too. :-?

good job raffertiki...i like it too...looks
like a happy tiki

The guys, the feedback is most welcome.

Freakbear, I had a lot of fun with this one, and tried some new approaches like aligning all the eyes on the same horizontal line. I also tried to make this a dynamic moment on time leaving the viewer a lot of freedom to decifer the womens thoughts by their facial expressions. Your comparison to the "Last Supper" made my day.

Yumyum, I'll have to consider the distracting boldness of the eyepatch. I thought it would lend balance against the heavy blacks on the tiki on the left side.

Rodeo, "the woman in red" was a classic long before the Matrix, but yeah, it does make a great focal point.

Barnett, I think the "eye patch chick" became my favorite as well when I kept adding more and more pirate characteristics.

A belly shirt at Trader Vics? Sacrilege!

Tikifish, you know there's always one in the crowd. Kind of like the one usher at a wedding wearing red shoes. This is someone in need of a master, perhaps someone like yourself, to set her right. The look the woman in red throws her, and her leaning away, says that her slobbish demeaner is not exactly appreciated.

Bobby Peru, They used a lot of primary colors in Kill Bill, like Uma in her solid yellow leather motorcycle outfit.

good job raffertiki...i like it too...looks like a happy tiki

Conga, yeah, I wouldn't mind being the first guy to wander into this scene.

Thanks again all.

T

I like the eyepatch. It's cool! It's like that old ad, 'the man in the Hathaway shirt'. Except its a woman. And she's not wearing a Hathaway shirt!

8T

I've never seen a babe with a peg leg before. She is a pretty strong character full of interest and intrigue.

S

Great piece, raffertiki!

The lovely lady in the fantastic-flower-halter dress eating a maraschino cherry and enjoying something in a tiki mug caught my attention. She is fantastic; looks like she's there to introduce Carmen Miranda as the headliner for the evening.

ShaTikah,

I just placed the characters, feel free to pull your own stories out of it.

Oh my gosh! I didn't notice the peg leg. I love the painting, personally. It reminds me of the opening credits in some 1960's caper.

You have a good eye 8ft. , you are officially the first to notice the peg leg. I was beginning to wonder if i made it too subtle. Thanks for noticing and for the good feedback.

Thanks for the compliment, kittynitro. Hopefully the prints they will spark many conversatins.

Thanks for all the feedback. "Ladies Night at Trader Vic's" is now available as a giclee print limited to 150 pieces.

http://www.nicefishy.com

[ Edited by: Raffertiki on 2004-12-07 19:50 ]

B

I think it's a beautiful setup. ! Happy tiki, & gorgeous womwn. What guy would Dare walk in on this scene and pretend to fit in? The bartender's even afraid to hangout and show his face. I'll bet our "Marooned on the Mainland would Love to stumble in here and make a fool of himself. Which one is gonna pick him up.
Where did the flower girl get that benzart neclace?
Fishy, you sound like you are about back to normal. Still having trouble sleeping? Let me know.
MoreMoreMore
HappyHappyHappy

Where did the flower girl get that benzart neclace?

Didn't you know, all my girlfriends sport Benzart originals?

On another note, Trader Vic's decided that it was not in thier best interest to let me use thier name in the title, so this piece is now simple called, "Ladies Night."

Pages: 1 20 replies