Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

SHAG / Enchanted Tiki Room merch info UPDATED

Pages: 1 25 replies

Hello friends,
Here's the scoop on the Disney / Shag Enchanted Tiki Room collaboration:
The 40th anniversary of the Tiki Room came and went in 2003. A variety of merchandise was designed by Shag for the event that came shortly after the anniversary. The contract said this merchandise would be on sale through 2004. That is why we continue to see Shag merchandise at Disneyland continue to be released to this day. There were 4 pieces of art turned in to Disney: One Enchanted Evening, Tangaroa, Waking Jose, and Tiki Room Aviary (as well as some specially designed merchandise). Here is what has been released so far:
-One Enchanted Evening and Tangaroa Serigraphs (Limited Edition).
-One Enchanted Evening, Tangaroa, and Waking Jose matted mini prints.
-One Enchanted Evening, Tangaroa, and Waking Jose computer mouse pads.
-Three different Aloha Shirts (Limited Edition).
-Tiki Room necklace (Limited Edition).
-Shag notecards (using all 4 images. with envelopes).
-One Enchanted Evening puzzle.
-Tall Tiki Mug and Tiki Goblet (Limited Edition).
-4 different designs for T-shirts (2 for women and 2 for men).
-Postcards using each of the 4 designs.
-3 purses with Bamboo handle (One Enchanted Evening, Tangaroa and Waking Jose).
-3 Mini purses (One Enchanted Evening, Tangaroa and Waking Jose)
-3 mugs: Small mug with rope, same mug without rope, and bigger "beer" mug with same design.

Also note that the T-shirts were specially designed by Shag with exclusive artwork. One of the men's T-shirt just used the One Enchanted Evening art and might have been put together by Disney.

The following items were made by Tiki Farm and are NOT Shag designs:
-Chanting Mug (4 colors)
-Tiki Mini Mugs (Shotglasses, 4 colors)
-Pele Mug

The 4th Tiki Farm design, Rongo, was going to be a bowl. Technical difficulties resulted in this item being cancelled.

As far as Shag knows, the only other possibility for more merchandise is if Disney decides to make more purses and/or mini purses using the Waking Jose artwork or other. For the most part, the merchandise is all out and will stop being offered at the end of this year. Look out for more Shag / Disneyland merchandise coming for the 50th (non Tiki Room specific). More info on this later. We also know that Tiki Farm is making an Adventureland mug but what you don't know is who the designer is. I'll save this info as a surprise...
Also note that Disney released the Enchanted Tiki Room soundtrack on CD. Please know that a faithfully remixed, and remastered version of the entire show (and possibly pre-show) is scheduled to be included on the upcoming Disneyland 6 CD boxed set. Also, expect some Tiki Room merchandise designed by Kevin and Jodi (sp?) who brought you the non-shag Tiki Room, Tiki Farm Mugs. We hear of some very exciting items...
Let me know if you have any questions regarding this post.
Your friend,
Louis

"Even though your body will shrink, your mind will expand!"

[ Edited by: Atomobile on 2004-11-28 16:33 ]

[ Edited by: Atomobile on 2004-11-28 16:36 ]

[ Edited by: atomobile on 2005-01-17 23:27 ]

Thanks for the info re Disney stuff. What's the best way to acquire some of this?
Thanks

On 2004-11-22 16:39, aikiman44 wrote:
Thanks for the info re Disney stuff. What's the best way to acquire some of this?
Thanks

Aloha aikman44, Welcome to Tiki Central!

Most of this stuff can easily be found on e-bay.

Most of the items on the list are sold out. I was at Disneyland on Friday picking up the new Aloha shirt and I saw the following still available:
-The 2 girl T-shirts
-The 4 different poscards
-Waking Jose mini-print
-Waking Jose mousepad
-The new Aloha shirt (this might be sold out by now. Friday they still had all sizes and I bought a large)
That is all I saw that day. Remember though that some of the items are not limited edition and might make a re-appearance before the year is over (after that, they can't sell them). Also, the Tiki Farm, non-Shag mugs will be in every once in a while for as long as Disney keeps ordering them. I managed to pick up almost one of each of the items made with the exception of the girl things (they have cuties), the big Tangaroa print (I'm not rich), and the ropeless small mug. I knew these items wouldn't be around forever, so I bought them as they came out. I don't buy merchandise for re-sale so I don't know where you can buy them. Of course, eBay is one way...but I hate when people buy to re-sell on eBay. I did have to buy the Enchanted Evening large print from eBay, but I found out the seller is a big Shag/Tiki fan so I didn't mind, and it wasn't too expensive. There is a couple of Disneyland shopper websites that also carry these and they even have backstock of items now sold out. If it was up to me, I'd find a way to trade with fellow Tiki Centralites.
Your friend,
Louis

PS: Anyone with an extra ropeless small coffee mug want to trade for a rare Enchanted Tiki Room 2 CD set?

S

Thanks for the great information Atomobile!

As of Sunday and there were only XXL and Small Shag shirts.

Sounds like you have inside info. Please keep us posted when you updates!

H

http://www.mouseshoppe.com has the medium shirt.

edit: Here's a link directly to the item: http://www.mouseshoppe.com/product.cfm?ProductID=177

[ Edited by: Hakalugi on 2004-11-22 21:08 ]

Yeah, but he marks it up 20 bucks. Ruins the fun.

Actually, the new Aloha shirt is $68.00! Those guys mark it up by $10.00, but I bet you they get some sort of discount where they can make even more of a profit. You can get a discount just by having a year pass, even more if you know an employee :wink:
Glad I could be of help to fellow collectors. I wanted to give a heads up regarding the then-upcoming Aloha shirt, but the Disneyland people surprised me with a quick release before I could even ask permission to disclose this information! I had plans on visiting L.A. for Thanksgiving weekend (and still do), but I decided to go to L.A. this past weekend to start shopping before the crowds (Amoeba, WACKO)and eat lots of Sushi while I can (I live in a small town of Bishop,CA on the way to Mammoth Lakes, home of LAKANUKI Tiki bar. No Sushi in Bishop). I love Disneyland 60's material which brought me to help out on a certain project for next year. I decided to drive to Disneyland to take in the few 60's attractions left and just by chance I stumbled upon the new Shag Aloha shirt. What luck!
Your friend,
Louis

On a side note, if you want to listen to 60's Disneyland, you'll have to wait until next year. The only 60's audio playing anywhere right now is Pirates and the Jungle Cruise. The Tiki Room is under refurbishment, and both Haunted Mansion and Small World have alternate soundtracks. Lincoln's soundtrack is perminently altered until the very-soon-to-happen permanent closure of the attraction. Boy I miss the days of the old New Tomorrowland. Inner Space anybody? :)

You could also try this site, (but with mark ups again.)

http://shop.vendio.com/rhinospider2/category/2/

Atomobile - Mahalo for your help on this. It's greatly appreciated.

When I was there Sunday and begging for a medium, the cast member told me there was a two item limit on the Shag shirt since it was limited. She also told me that someone bought about 20 shirts from a cast member who didn't know the rule. Bet it was one of the re-sellers and they were all medium! Oh well, still the happiest place on earth.
Thanks again Atomobile!

p.s. what's the project?

That shirt looks cool to me. I'll probably get one.

MT

On 2004-11-22 17:27, Atomobile wrote:
PS: Anyone with an extra ropeless small coffee mug want to trade for a rare Enchanted Tiki Room 2 CD set?

I haven't seen the small ropeless coffee mug, not even on ebay, although I do have one coffe mug with the rope on it, and a couple of the beer tankard larger mugs without the rope. Can someone post a pic of the small ropeless coffee mug please?

Atomobile, I don't have the small ropeless coffee mug, but maybe I could trade you a larger beer tankard mug for a copy of your awesome Enchanted Tiki Room 2 CD set? By the way, did you get my PM? :)

On 2004-11-23 01:57, Atomobile wrote:
Boy I miss the days of the old New Tomorrowland. Inner Space anybody? :)

I agree, that stuff's way cool! I can't wait to see some of the retro Tomorrowland stuff next year that Tangaroa hinted about in another thread. I'm currently planning and building a space-tiki bar in my new pad, so a couple of those old Tomorrowland items (something from Inner Space or the old Astro-Orbiter I'm hoping) will probably fit the bill for my bar perfectly.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Disney merchandise - that clears up a couple of questions that I had about various items' availability. There are a couple of small items that I might pick up before they are unavailable after the end of the year.

I don't buy merchandise for re-sale so I don't know where you can buy them. Of course, eBay is one way...but I hate when people buy to re-sell on eBay.

Yeah, I'm becoming less and less enchanted with ebay, especially now during a current transaction that is going sour. Really sour.

If it was up to me, I'd find a way to trade with fellow Tiki Centralites.

This is what I love about the Tiki Central community - folks sharin' that Aloha Spirit!

Enjoy your Thanksgiving sushi, Atomobile!!!

UPDATE:
I was just in L.A. for Thanksgiving. I had a great time! I was at Tiki Taix. Yesterday morning, I stopped by Disneyland and went to the Adventureland store. There was PLENTY of the new Shag shirt in every size except for XL. So I'm not sure why some people claimed it was sold out. The only items I saw were the Aloha shirts I just mentioned, the postcard set, the girl shirts (can't remember if they had both, but they at least had the new one), and they also had the small purse (One Enchanted Evening), a new small purse (Waking Jose), the big purse with bamboo handle (Tangaroa), and a new big purse (Waking Jose). That is all I saw. The two new items were the ones I told you might be available. Now, most likely there will be no more Shag/Enchanted Tiki Room Anniversary items. I think this is it and these items will remain in stores for another 5 weeks, then disappear forever. Get 'em while you can! And don't overpay on eBay. If you don't have a friend that can buy you one, at the very least buy it from Disneyland directly thru the phone.
Any questions?
Your friend,
Louis

PS: Where the heck are the Pele mugs!!!!!

The old holiday weekend blitz...and we fell for it!

C

Called first thing this AM & got both the shirt for Mr. croe67 & the new purse for me - THANKS SO MUCH for the update!!

Yeah, I got my medium size shirt as well. They said it was the last one, but I don't believe them anymore.

I went on a quick trip to Adventureland last night. There was a good supply of all the new items (plenty of sizes) and there are even still SHAG lithos of Tangeroa in the Disneyana shop on Main Street ($350/$600 framed). Got my new Tiki Room tee shirt on today!

DZ

Still "Tiki Bloom" shirts at the Bazaar as of today, but mostly smalls & mediums.

On 2004-12-11 18:11, Doctor Z wrote:
Still "Tiki Bloom" shirts at the Bazaar as of today, but mostly smalls & mediums.

Hey Z - I was there today as well, sorry I missed ya. They also have post cards of all the prints. I think they'd look cool matted and framed together in a group. Purses, coin purses, shirts for girls, Waking Jose matted prints and mouse pads are also available.

hi...can anyone help me with this...what
was the original selling price of the
shag "40th anniversary" mini prints?
Thanks!

T

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 07:03 ]

thanks tikichick....very interesting
thread...read the whole thing...mainly
cuz the temperature is dropping rapidly
toward sub-zero and...believe it or not..
we are not having a lot of car and truck
shoppers today in the tropics of northern
wisconsin. a guy is selling a few of
the petite-prints on ebay...wanted to
know what the original price was.
A little shy about e-bay right now...
recently won a bid for August holland
"pearl of wisdom" and the jerk seller
isn't keeping his end of the bargain.
oh well...have a great day!

H

I suspect a lot of people missed this wonderful opportunity for snark:

Meet The "Adora Belle" Tiki Room Hostess Doll by MARIE OSMOND

This came out right around the first round of Shag stuff.

It was, apparently, a hot seller.

H

Here's a "better" picture:

It can be yours for only $160:

http://www.charmingshoppe.com/product.cfm?ProductID=3135

On 2005-02-04 10:13, Humuhumu wrote:
Here's a "better" picture:

$160?!! Ho ho.....
Perhaps if it was 13 foot high, robotic, and the parrot uttered obscenities.

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 25 replies