Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Holiday ornaments: behind obscure glass?

Pages: 1 6 replies

It's that wonderfull time of year again... and the Holiday light displays go up.

Every year, I suggest to fellow Eichlerholics and other modern types, a real cool thing I saw as a kid... putting the lights behind your obscure glass.

If you have one of those Eichler (or other!) models with the obscure glass on the front of the house, or flanking an atrium, you probably already know the beautifull, halo-like corona the lights produce through the glass.

This is why I call some Eichler models the 'Pleaides models'.. after astronomical photos of the Pleades (or 'Seven Sisters' contellation). Imagine that with colored, blinking lights.

It's a real cool effect, and you can experiment with different sized light halos... the farther away the light source is from the glass, the bigger the halo. The opposite of perspective. And you get some great, 'venn diagram' like effects when two halos intersect. Finally, the glass hides the wires.. except from inside, of course.

Hope the following pics will give you some idea...
http://www.wallys.com/uploads/pleiades/

Try it.. it's really etherial.

Wally Fields, E.I.C. (Eichlerholic!)
http://www.wallys.com
510-659-9476

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - removed old contact info - 2008-09-22 13:33 ]

A P.S. from the Eichlerholic about Obscure Glass Holiday lights...

PLEASE send me pictures of your creation! [email protected]

Happy EichlerHOLidays. And Ain-idays. And Alexan-days. And Tiki-days. And Case Stu-days. And Neutra-days. etc etc etc

On 2004-11-22 18:50, Eichlerholic wrote:

This is why I call some Eichler models the 'Pleaides models'.. after astronomical photos of the Pleades (or 'Seven Sisters' contellation). Imagine that with colored, blinking lights.

Did you know that "Subaru" is Pleiades in Japanese? And sure enough, their logo represents that same consellation.

Well I think it's kind of cool.

GeekyWahine over and out.

By the way, those photos are really cool! Makes me want to install some of that glass just for the holidays. Neat!

You know, after looking at several photos of Eichler homes, I believe my Uncle owns one. He's an architect(figures) over in Vancouver. I've only been to his home once, it's horseshoe shaped with floor to ceiling windows looking on a patio in the middle of the horseshoe. It has glass and/or beams just under where the roof meets the walls all the way around the outside. Does this sound familiar?

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-11-23 13:17 ]

Pleiades?
I've been doing a bit of research on this very topic...have a look at the Nebra Disk. Cool stuff.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,1564,1361492,00.html

DZ

On 2004-11-23 11:34, Tikiwahine wrote:

On 2004-11-22 18:50, Eichlerholic wrote:

Did you know that "Subaru" is Pleiades in Japanese? And sure enough, their logo represents that same consellation.

Well I think it's kind of cool.

GeekyWahine over and out.

Seven Sisters? Looks like someone in the Subaru logo-design department can't count!

To Tikiwahine... (or was that GeekyWahine? These threads confuse me!) thanks for the pic. I didn't know that about Subaru... seen the logo many a time and must have slipped under my consciousness barrier. But that's what so cool about that shape.. it slips into your brain, like Modernism.

As to your uncle's home.. Vancouver British Columbia? Or is there one in CA? Could very well be an Eichler, but could be what I call an "Eichler like non Eichler", which can be even cooler, cause it might not be the exact same floor plan.

If you tell me more, could be grist for the mill of another one of my articles for the Eichler Network Newsletter.

Gigantalope: that Nebra disk is pretty compelling.

And to "Doctor Z".. seen from Japan, two of the seven sisters are hidden behind the main one ("Atmospheric drag"). And if you believe that, I have some swampland in Okinawa to sell you.

Pages: 1 6 replies