Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Shag, call your lawyers!

Pages: 1 13 replies

I received this piece of mail from a local radio station today:

It's obviously not the work of Shag, but it's awfully close!

B

That woman's arms are Freakin' Me Out!

Her arms? How about those hands?
I think it's "The Claw" from those seattle signs.

As for the Shag style art, look at the prints from Disney's Tiki Room and then this
http://www.thetandoorioven.com/

M

KFRC... I remember listening to that station when I was a kid. What was the guy's name Doctor Donald D. Rose? The last DJ I can remember doing all those little sound effects when he talked. For every two words there'd be a horn honking or an annoying whistle.

All you Bay Area folk's sing with me :music: "six-ten K...F...R...Ceeee" :music:

:blush:

Oh yeah... total Shag rip-off.

Disney! Call your lawyers....!

Shag

Disney

Shag

Disney

(Flying Saucer images originally found by Hanford...)

I'll try & scan my "Ghastly Stomp" 7" before Thanksgiving....

Hanford and Cherry Capri!
Call your lawyers!

It definitely appears to be a Cherry-Capri knock-off, hands aside.

Is that the price of fame?

MT

On 2004-11-23 09:30, MachTiki wrote:
KFRC... I remember listening to that station when I was a kid. What was the guy's name Doctor Donald D. Rose?

THAT'S RIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTT!!! (one of Dr. Don's many catch phrases). Remember his love of "Sacra-Tomato"? (btw Bay Area native here - we're getting harder and harder to come by).

[ Edited by: Mai Tai on 2004-11-23 21:56 ]

OK - last post from the snotty retort dept.

Shag

Disney

Tangaroa, I'm quite sure that SHAG and Disney have a pleasant arangement. What your problem with it is what I don't understand? Also I believe you credited the pictures wrong.

On 2004-11-24 20:16, McDougall wrote:
Tangaroa, I'm quite sure that SHAG and Disney have a pleasant arangement. What your problem with it is what I don't understand? Also I believe you credited the pictures wrong.

I have no problem with Shag or his artwork - I'm pointing out that he has created artwork heavily influenced by other artists (Disney poster artists in this case) - so, I would think he wouldn't be calling his lawyers when some one else (like the artist at the top of this thread) appropriates his style.

Can you tell me how I credited the pictures wrong? I'd like to know if I'm mistaken...

When it comes to record covers, parody of other's artwork is something that's been going on for decades. It's less stealing, and more having fun with what's gone before.

This example is just the first that popped into my head:

Approximating someone elses art style for an ad campaign is something different altogether, but I think that's something been explained on the board elsewhere.
(And I'm no lawyer)

Trader Woody

T

here's what popped into mine.

+

or

+

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-11-27 05:41 ]

T

I always loved that P.I.L. one - anyone else remember the Ralphs Grocery Stores generic packaging that was based on? I haven't seen that packaging since the early 90s...

Pages: 1 13 replies